U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 10:31 PM

3 posts, read 4,890 times

Advertisements

I saw there was just another posting about a young single male moving to KC, which while helpful, didn't exactly have the answers I'm looking for. My job will be located in the northern part of the city near NKC hospital. I'm torn between trying to live in the River Market area or the neighborhood directly to the north of the hospital. If I do go out, it will be on weekends so I don't feel a need to be in the center of the action but wouldn't mind being close. I'd prefer to save some money by living up north but I've been told that the area might be dangerous. I can afford up to an absolute max of $800 a month but less would be better (damn student loans!). Anyway, any thoughts whether I should get a low end apartment in River Market or save some money and live north of the hospital? Does the Cooley Highlands, Avondale, River Forest area really have a gang problem like I was told? Thanks for any and all input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 10:43 PM

10,709 posts, read 18,547,729 times
Avondale = gangs? LOL.

NKC hospital is very close to downtown, so you can go either way.

There are some sketchy apartment complexes up north, but nothing "dangerous". Who are you talking to??? The roughest part of the northland are some pockets of homes or apartment complexes along Vivion or Choteau but there will be decent places in those areas too.

(remember, this is all relative. Rough in a suburban area is different than rough in the central city)

Avondale is a tiny town next to NKC hospital. It's a bit run down, just small homes I think. Not much there.

I would look into downtown if you can afford something there, but if you want to go north, I would look a bit further north. There are many apartment complexes along 169 north of I-29 and well as the entire I-29 corridor and the 1-35 area near Liberty and Shoal Creek.

Last edited by kcmo; 09-08-2011 at 11:25 PM..

Old 09-08-2011, 10:50 PM

A good friend of mine used to live here:

Madison at Walnut Creek

It's hidden back in the woods, so it's sort of secluded, but it's just as nice as some of the places further north, but it's not as far north. It's also cheaper. You might look into them.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:22 PM

Oops, missed your first reply somehow. Yeah, I wondered about that, it was a lady in the bank who said she lived in KC for 15 years, haha. I think she might have been talking about KCK in hindsight. Thanks for the link, those apartments actually look like they might be just what I've been looking for. I'm just temped by the cheap rent right next to the hospital because I'll eventually be on the road 4 to 5 days a week and would barely need a permanent residence.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:22 PM

That area might look a little ghetto. It's a bit run down, lower income etc. But dangerous? I seriously doubt it. I'm sure you would be fine there.

It's just a very modest, blue collar area with some pretty rough looking commercial areas. But I think it would be a fine place to live for somebody with a smaller budget and short commute in mind. Most of the problem areas up north are in a handful of section 8 apartment complexes and even those probably are not that bad.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:39 PM

35,827 posts, read 39,487,101 times
It's not gonna be your most upscale, but I wouldn't worry about rampant danger, either. Just working class.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:55 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. Blue collar is totally fine by me. I'm a pretty big guy and it takes a lot for me to feel physically threatened, I just don't want to have to deal with shootings or stuff of that nature. I do also like the idea of living near the City Market, I just don't know if I need the distractions. How active is that area at night? It's obviously not as crazy as the power and light district but will I be able to get any sleep around there?

Old 09-09-2011, 08:35 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,254,641 times
Honestly, the River Market is extremely quiet at night; there just aren't very many bars at all. I would have no noise concerns in that area (In fact, we looked in the area and decided it was a bit too quiet for us!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or