U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 11:09 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
I have a question maybe someone can answer this. If the founder of AMC was a huge supporter and idea maker behind P&L, why wasn't a new HQ just built there instead of giving incentives to HR Block to build a new HQ. It almost seems like a slap in the face.
Actually the original P&L district as proposed by Stan Durwood of AMC had a proposed offer tower for AMC in the project. This was long before H&R Block ever came into the picture.

Block is a much bigger company and is more important to the project succeeding, but if Durwood were still alive, I'm sure they would not only be in their own office building in the district, they would have never even entertained the thought of moving to Kansas. Stan Durwood is rolling in his grave now and everybody at AMC knows it. He was as big a downtown supporter as you can get. The company at the time just wasn't big enough to go at it alone and it's still not really that big of a company to pull off something like the P&L alone.

It would be like in 20 years if the Halls are all gone and Hallmark is owned by a bunch of CEO's with no ties to KC and only worried about the bottom line. Hallmark could pull out of KCMO and move to some JoCo office park and the entire crown center complex would slowly die or never be the same as it is today.

AMC is a different company than it was 15 years ago, but then again, I'm not sure even Stan Durwood could say no to 47 million. That is a lot of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 12:19 AM

12,994 posts, read 17,126,160 times
Corporate welfare is a zero-sum game.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:58 AM

48,911 posts, read 39,401,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Corporate welfare is a zero-sum game.
Agreed.

Maybe KCMO can increase thier city wage tax to 5% like it is in Philly to make up any shortfall. The money can be used to revitalize the city and provide incentives etc.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:06 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,071,148 times
I find this whole thing very interesting. I've hear of suburbs competing with cities but this KS/Mo thing takes it to a whole new level. IMO, this practice does not benefit the KC metro at all. Not only are you taking a business out of downtown, but you are placing additional burdon on transportation infrastrucure by moving more jobs out to the suburbs and moving commuting patterns (encourging sprawl).

Does the KC area not have anything similar to the Met Council in Mpls/St. Paul, in which the metro area works together not only in terms of economic development but transportation and zoining (planning)? I know it was intramental in getting the ever growing light rail system going in the Twin Cities (which has been a big success btw). http://www.metrocouncil.org/

Old 09-20-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post

Does the KC area not have anything similar to the Met Council in Mpls/St. Paul, in which the metro area works together not only in terms of economic development but transportation and zoining (planning)? I know it was intramental in getting the ever growing light rail system going in the Twin Cities (which has been a big success btw). Metropolitan Council - serving the Twin Cities region by providing key services and regional planning
No and most people don't even believe such things exist when I mention them. They even blame it on silly little things that have zero impact like kcmoís earnings tax.

Whatís going on in KC is maddening , pathetic, and destructive to the entire metro and it is absolutely NOT happening in any other metro at such an aggressive level.

The lack of cooperation in KC is off the charts and itís depressing to say the least and the lack of community spirit (they are taking the money and running or would just rather be in some far out office park than in the city) in the kc coporate community is sad. Thank god kc has Hallmark.

What other city could possibly have invested six billion into its downtown and created some of the countryís finest venues, a nice entertainment district etc and still simply cannot stop the bleeding to its suburbs. This is not even an urban vs suburban thing. The MO side suburbs are not competing with downtown.

Whatís going on in KC is a Kansas vs KCMO thing and Iím not sure it will ever get better. Ever.

By the way, I drove through where AMC is going this past weekend. What a freaking joke. It doesn't take much to impress people in kansas I guess.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:33 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,111,236 times
^The sky is falling!

Old 09-20-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
^The sky is falling!
And just think, I think of you as about as big an urban core supporter there is and so you are about as worked up as people in KC would get. Most don't care at all or blame kcmo. So yea. Few people see how big the problem really is in KC.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:57 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,216,465 times
I have heard not one person mention this at my place of employment since the news broke. Not one. For or against. I brought it up and was met with at best shrugs and at worst blank stares.

I'm trying so hard not to extrapolate my workplace with the entire KC area, but it's by no means a super small office (we're always in the bottom half of the Business Journal's top employers in the metro) and I. Just. Don't. Get. It. I'm getting epically more frustrated by the day.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:17 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,999,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post

Does the KC area not have anything similar to the Met Council in Mpls/St. Paul, in which the metro area works together not only in terms of economic development but transportation and zoining (planning)? I know it was intramental in getting the ever growing light rail system going in the Twin Cities (which has been a big success btw). Metropolitan Council - serving the Twin Cities region by providing key services and regional planning
Don't we have MARC (Mid America Regional Council) Not really sure what they do.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:53 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,071,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Don't we have MARC (Mid America Regional Council) Not really sure what they do.

Yeah, that kind of sounds like the Met Council in a way. On MARC's website it says they are a non-profit that basically assists in planning etc. in the KC area- ie. trying to get the Kansas and Missouri side to work together on issues (so that's good at least).

The Met Council in MSP however is a governmental agency that is THE planning and zoning authority, operates metro transit, provides grants etc. and has its own governing board, so in a way kind of acts as a giant city that overlays Mpls., St. Paul and the suburbs in the 7 county metro area (about 3 million people). For instance I know if a suburb wants to extend their water and sewer service (even if its in their own city limits) has to get permission from the Met Council to do that even! All cities in the metro must also get approval from the Met Council before they adopt updated comprehensive plans.

I guess I always assumed more metro areas had something similar, but perhaps not. Maybe KC would benefit from something like this, or maybe everyone would be against it (judging by the mentality of local residents that some of you described, they would probably be opposed to a metro governing board with such power), but IMO has served the Twin Cities metro well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or