U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 05:52 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times

Advertisements

MARC basically does a lot of regional planning, forecasting etc .(transportation, demographics). They try to rank area priorities and then they go after federal grants and what not to try to fund them.

They pretty much don't exist or really even take a public position on regional issues that plague KC (company poaching, regional funding for regional assets etc).

No way would KC ever create an actual bisate governmental agency and the area burns more bridges and creates more resentment across state line every year so it becomes more and more unlikely.

Lots of cities have them including bistate metros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 07:04 PM

20,170 posts, read 34,488,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
MARC basically does a lot of regional planning, forecasting etc .(transportation, demographics). They try to rank area priorities and then they go after federal grants and what not to try to fund them.

They pretty much don't exist or really even take a public position on regional issues that plague KC (company poaching, regional funding for regional assets etc).

No way would KC ever create an actual bisate governmental agency and the area burns more bridges and creates more resentment across state line every year so it becomes more and more unlikely.

KC would never be that progressive. It just isn't in the DNA of the populace to be very proactive about these things at all.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:13 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,070,731 times
Quote:

Yeah, granted the Twin Cities Met Council covers the 7 county metro area, entirely in Minnesota, its probably easier to do than vs. KC Missouri and Kansas. Does Washington DC. have anything similar that covers DC, Maryland and Virginia counties? Or does anyone know if St. Louis has issues with the Illinois/Missouri aspect?

Old 09-21-2011, 08:12 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,212,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
Yeah, granted the Twin Cities Met Council covers the 7 county metro area, entirely in Minnesota, its probably easier to do than vs. KC Missouri and Kansas. Does Washington DC. have anything similar that covers DC, Maryland and Virginia counties? Or does anyone know if St. Louis has issues with the Illinois/Missouri aspect?
The short answer is eh not really. The two worked well together building the metro -- helped along by the ton of money Illinois was willing to put in for their chunk. But honestly, Illinois' taxes are well higher and they don't have a history of handing out major incentives to move to the metro east. The issues between St. Louis City and St. Louis County are far more divisive and damaging, but maybe, just maybe, some progress can start to be made on that front. There truly are folks on both sides of the city/county line that want this:

Group Leads Effort to Marry St. Louis City, County to Recognize 'World Class City' - Town and Country-Manchester, MO Patch

I'd be curious to see how they could truly sell a state-wide ballot initiative. They'd need to provide some benefit or incentive for KC to get near the kind of numbers they'd need...

Old 09-21-2011, 08:38 AM

There is also a big difference between metro east and how it interacts with StLouis vs JoCo and how it interacts with KCMO. I'll give you a hint. It's a really big river .

Urban kcmo flows directly into joco with no resistance or natural barriers.

There is really nothing geographically like KC to even compare it to.

Geographically, KCMO/JoCo is much more like St Louis City/ St Louis County only rather than a county line, it's a state line which changes things quite a bit. St Louis County for example pays a culture tax for things in St Louis city like the art museum, science center and zoo. That doesn't happen in KC/JoCo. Also, JoCo has Topeka's economic development tools to lure jobs from another state. While economic competition is fierce in StL, they don't have the problem of Clayton offering 47 million to a downtown company to move ten miles west.

But other bistate metros do cooperate. Check out Cincinnati/Northern KY for example.

aragx6, it would be awesome if StL County and City consolidated. But that's been talked about for decades. Maybe it's finally getting serious.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:04 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,212,345 times
Quote:
aragx6, it would be awesome if StL County and City consolidated. But that's been talked about for decades. Maybe it's finally getting serious.
I'll believe it when I see it, but I do have some faith that change is coming. St. Louis County is beginning to have some of the same problems as the city: Aging infrastructure, loss of population etc.

I honestly can't see a full merger happening, but St. Louis entering the county as the 92nd muni could be in the future. Some possible annexation possibilties might come out of that, but realistically there is going to have to be some consolidation of some of the teeny tiny munis-- they're heinously wasteful though residents love them dearly. I grew up in Rock Hill, I definitely know a thing or two about that.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:18 AM

48,898 posts, read 39,392,211 times
I woke up to the news today that Jackstack is moving to the KS side, didn't mention incentives on the radio, doesn't mean there weren't any.

The other news was about the continued issues with KCMO school district losing accreditation.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:22 AM

48,898 posts, read 39,392,211 times
Quote:
No and most people don't even believe such things exist when I mention them. They even blame it on silly little things that have zero impact like kcmoís earnings tax.

Whatís going on in KC is maddening , pathetic, and destructive to the entire metro and it is absolutely NOT happening in any other metro at such an aggressive level.

The lack of cooperation in KC is off the charts and itís depressing to say the least and the lack of community spirit (they are taking the money and running or would just rather be in some far out office park than in the city) in the kc coporate community is sad. Thank god kc has Hallmark.

What other city could possibly have invested six billion into its downtown and created some of the countryís finest venues, a nice entertainment district etc and still simply cannot stop the bleeding to its suburbs. This is not even an urban vs suburban thing. The MO side suburbs are not competing with downtown.

Whatís going on in KC is a Kansas vs KCMO thing and Iím not sure it will ever get better. Ever.

By the way, I drove through where AMC is going this past weekend. What a freaking joke. It doesn't take much to impress people in kansas I guess.
If you'd ever calmed down enough....wayyyyyy back early in these (2) threads I said that I didn't think the incentive grabs were a good thing.

You ignored this and instead have painted me as an apologist and have ignored the factual items that I've pointed out that have not helped KCMO's jobs efforts. I've also noted that the state of MO is focused on tourism and pouring a lot of money into tourism advertising and infrastructure.

Lastly, you've repeatedly made insulting and belittling comments about people that live on one side of the imaginary line and then complained how we need to work together. This goes back a long long time.

Ok, we get it...we are the bad guys....you are the good guys.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:50 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,999,483 times
I don't really have a problem with companies moving, it would be like moving from Chicago to a suburban location in chicago, i just have a problem with all these free handouts

Old 09-22-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If you'd ever calmed down enough....wayyyyyy back early in these (2) threads I said that I didn't think the incentive grabs were a good thing.

You ignored this and instead have painted me as an apologist and have ignored the factual items that I've pointed out that have not helped KCMO's jobs efforts. I've also noted that the state of MO is focused on tourism and pouring a lot of money into tourism advertising and infrastructure.

Lastly, you've repeatedly made insulting and belittling comments about people that live on one side of the imaginary line and then complained how we need to work together. This goes back a long long time.

Ok, we get it...we are the bad guys....you are the good guys.
I ignore most of your posts because they are ridiculous. What Missouri spends on tourism marketing does not have a freaking thing to do with Kansas poaching companies from KCMO using tens of millions of dollars in incentives. The fact that you go that far to find some sort of excuse as to why it's okay for KS to do this or why MO can't compete is mind boggling.

There is not a thing that justifies what KS is doing here and while you said you don't agree with it, in the same posts you find reasons why MO dropped the ball. The bottom line is there is really not a lot that MO can fire back at KS with without asking MO taxpayers to bend over royally.

Moving on.

Brewcrew, I dug up some old renderings for you (yes, I have a stash of this stuff). Your post about KCMO not doing anything for AMC really sort of bugged me so I wanted to set the record straight.

The renderings below are the original Power and Light district as proposed by Stan Durwood of AMC. This was the plan before Cordish, H&R Block and the Sprint Center.

The plan was completely initiated by Durwood. The proposed 40 story tower would have housed AMC's headquarters and the entire development was centered around an AMC 30 screen theater complex and the city was ready to back the project and do as much as it possibly could to help durwood succeed.

It was Stan's dream to do for downtown what the Halls did for Crown Center (turn blight into an urban mixed use destination and put KC on the national map) and like I have mentioned before, while he would be proud to see all the good that have happened downtown, he would be rolling in his grave knowing that AMC has turned its back on downtown kcmo. AMC after Durwood is just not the company it was when he was here. AMC probably has little invested in the AMC Main Street or Midland, it's all tiff money. The P&L district died when Durwood died. The only reason the P&L happened was because of Mayor Barnes pulling out all the stakes to bring H&R Block Downtown, bring in Cordish and get the Sprint Center done with some help from Anshultz Entertainment. AMC just put their name on the theaters. Barnes saved Downtown and brought it back from the dead and to this day, I don't understand why she was villainized for doing so (spending some money on downtown), but that's a different topic.

Kansas City desperately needs more companies like Hallmark and American Century, but it just doesn't have many of those large companies ran by local born and raised CEO's that have that passion to make KC a better place and so they do what they can to be a part of it. Or even CEO's that just know that a vibrant urban core is important. Taking nearly fifty million in incentives and running off to some generic suburban development that is not even visible from a highway would have never happened if Durwood were still alive and AMC would still truly be a great local born and raised KC company. Now it's just another area company that happens to be in metro KC, but not much else.

Stan Durwood is the hero here. If it were not for him, the current P&L district and the entire south side of downtown would probably still be haunted houses and surface parking lots. Barnes brought his dream back to life and saw it through the best she could.

So basically, AMC ended up kinda slapping KCMO in the face, not the other way around.

[img]kc-photos.com/P&Loriginal2.jpg[/img]

[img]kc-photos.com/P&Loriginal.jpg[/img]

Last edited by kcmo; 09-22-2011 at 09:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or