U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:14 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,783 times

Advertisements

AMC, which is losing money in an industry that has a questionable future, has to report to shareholders and it might have been considered foolish to not take the $40M. It's not really a slap in the face to KCMO, it was a biz decision and I don't blame AMC. It does suck that KS is pulling in companies from metro with corporate welfare but I don't blame AMC for making this decision.

Downtown could use more momentum but things have improved over the last 10 years. Downtown office vacanyc has improved, is better than most downtowns and downtown KC already has more office space compared to nearly every metro around KC's size.

This is a setback for downtown but not a catastrophe worth ranting about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 10:33 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Downtown KC is doing well, but it could be doing a lot better if companies would stay there.

At what point does this problem become worthy of a rant? After DST moves? HNTB? When does it become something where people should get worked up over?

I wasn't really blaming AMC, but defending KCMO. My point was that if anybody is getting slapped, it's KCMO for spending six billion on downtown only to watch a company HQ leave for some short term cash. You can't blame AMC, but you can't blame KCMO either.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:05 AM

Those links didn't work, so if anybody cares .

Old 09-27-2011, 07:00 PM

2,215 posts, read 5,214,060 times
You know, Detroit of all places is setting a better example. Scroll down to the middle of the article, and you'll see how Compuware is buying up office buildings and parking garages in downtown Detroit to keep all it's workers there.

Business | As Detroit's offices fill up, suburbs feel pain | The Detroit News (http://www.detnews.com/article/20110829/BIZ/108290342/As-Detroit - broken link)

Old 01-04-2013, 09:39 AM

30 posts, read 70,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

I just found out about this story a few days ago (I know, I'm "late" to the party). That's very surprising. Really, AMC (which, of course, is the second largest theater chain in the U.S.) has always been one of the cool things about Kansas City. Ontop of that, the headquarters is right in the middle of Kansas City, which is even better. I guess we'll see what happens with H&R Block. AMC was offered a $40 Million tax incentive to have their headquarters at the new location. Even more interesting, AMC is going to throw an exclusive celebration that will feature current Kansas Governor Sam Brownback. I've read many posts in this forum regarding the ongoing feud between Kansas City, MO and Johnson County, KS, and didn't really give it too much thought. But, I guess this tension between the two areas is very real and quite serious.

Now, I don't think Hallmark is going anywhere. An entire urban neighborhood (The Crown Center) is essentially built around Hallmark. We're talking about a neighorhood that features 3 hotels, apartments/condos, a shopping mall, movie theaters, various businesses (law firms and insurance companies, among others), an outdoor concert venue (which is currently being used as a skating rink), cultural events such as Oktoberfest and the Kansas City marathon (the beginning, at least), a beautiful synchronized water fountain in the middle, and so forth. Plus, Hallmark revolves around fine arts, and artists are drawn to urban environments. I don't think any tax incentive is going to be enough to lure Hallmark from it's current location. But, if I was wrong, then that would certainly be the proverbial dagger in the heart for Kansas City, MO.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:37 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,998,962 times
Hallmark just might go out of business with or without Kansas Incentives. Who even buys cards anymore, the younger generations seem to not care about giving or receiving greeting cards

Old 01-04-2013, 01:09 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,783 times
Three KC companies need to figure out how to adapt from a last century product. Hallmark is obvious. AMC has to compete with home theater and many altie ways to get movies... and also more entertainment options. The other is Garmin, who has to compete with cellphone navigation. Garmin has other products but smartphones are getting more GPS apps that do specialty things. I don't use dedicated GPS devices anymore.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:51 PM

18 posts, read 29,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
You know, Detroit of all places is setting a better example. Scroll down to the middle of the article, and you'll see how Compuware is buying up office buildings and parking garages in downtown Detroit to keep all it's workers there.

Business | As Detroit's offices fill up, suburbs feel pain | The Detroit News (http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...342/As-Detroit - broken link)
Detroit is actually united and trying to rebound. KC is hopelessly divided between states and will never prosper economically. The job market is horrible here, few choices and low wages.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:07 PM

Garmin rode the portable gps device wave while it was alive and has since moved back to what put them on the map in the first place. Aviation technology. They will always still have some market in consumer gps equipment as well especially for truckers, hikers etc, but aviation is where they make the most money anyway. They will be fine.

AMC will also be fine so long as they don’t move to another city now. They now have zero true ties to KC and it wouldn’t surprise me in the least to see them pull out of the kc area. This may be the one case where getting so much free money in incentives may keep them in the metro for longer than a few years. They basically got a free office building and then some. Hard to say no to that and awnser to shareholders. But as soon as they can get another 40 million dollar deal from another state. They are gone.

If there was one company in metro KC that is loaded with kcmo pride, it’s Hallmark. They would never ever pull out of central kcmo and move to some Kansas side office park. The only way that would ever happen is if they were on their last leg of survival. Think Payless Cashways when they left their longtime KCMO HQ for Lee’s Summit after claiming bankruptcy only to liquidate a short time later. I really think Hallmark is adapting and will be fine. They are a private company and I have relatives that work there. While it’s been a challenge, they seem to be doing well diversifying and figuring out new ways to make money. They still put a lot of money into Crown Center that they really don’t have to as well and they still do things like give their employees huge paid time off for the holidays rather than furloughs. Hopefully the younger generations of the Halls are as committed to KCMO as their elders. I think they are though. Hallmark will be fine and I think sending actually physical items (ie cards) will eventually come full circle and become popular again anyway.

There are still some really nice companies based in KCMO that have a lot of KCMO pride. They are companies a fraction of the size of Sprint, Cerner or Black & Veatch, yet they seem to do much more for the “community”. They also may not all be downtown, but these come to mind.

American Century
H&R Block
Burns and McDonnell
HNTB
DST
KCPL

But it really is sad that so much of the KCMO economy has moved to Kansas and they really have left behind the community pride when they moved. That’s why KC probably won’t see a new corporate office tower in downtown KC for 2-3 more decades which is really kind of sad. KC has really been torn apart by the state line and all it has to show for it is millions of sq feet of office parks in Kansas while nearly ever other city out there seems to have more downtown corporate activity and construction. Even places like Cincy, Pittsburgh, Cleveland etc have had more going on and smaller cities like Des Moines, Omaha, OKC have recently built huge downtown corporate HQ projects too. KC is VERY lucky the federal government likes the city.

Anyway…

Old 01-07-2013, 11:59 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,304,562 times
Hallmark will never move as long as any of the current members of the Hall family control the company. Arguably, the Hall family began the "real" urban renewal of Kansas City with Crown Center back in the early 1970s. That's as important to the urban landscape of Kansas City as J.C.Nichols building the Plaza and Sunset Hill/ Country Club back in the 1920s.

The Halls, the Blochs, the Kempers (both branches), the Helzbergs, the Kauffmans -- although many live in Mission Hills KS -- these families are deeply committed to Kansas City the city. Many of the scions of these families attended Central and Westport High Schools back in the 1930s and 1940s, and their offspring want to see the city succeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or