U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 AM

30 posts, read 70,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
AMC will also be fine so long as they don’t move to another city now. They now have zero true ties to KC and it wouldn’t surprise me in the least to see them pull out of the kc area. This may be the one case where getting so much free money in incentives may keep them in the metro for longer than a few years. They basically got a free office building and then some. Hard to say no to that and awnser to shareholders. But as soon as they can get another 40 million dollar deal from another state. They are gone.
Are you referring to the people who currently run AMC or the company itself? From the quick research I've done, I'd assume you would be referring to the current executives. AMC was started in Kansas City, MO by the Dubinsky (or Durwood) brothers in 1920.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 11:34 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,525,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese30 View Post
Are you referring to the people who currently run AMC or the company itself? From the quick research I've done, I'd assume you would be referring to the current executives. AMC was started in Kansas City, MO by the Dubinsky (or Durwood) brothers in 1920.
Of course I'm talking about the current executives. AMC would have NEVER left downtown (or at least urban kcmo) if Stan Durwood were still alive, no matter how much Kansas bribed him. Only a few of companies like that still exist in KC (mainly Hallmark and American Century). H&R Block was very close to moving to JoCo. Kansas offered them a ton of cash, like 50-60 million. That was the one case where KCMO and the state of MO bent over to keep them (and only because they were part of the huge downtown redevelopment project not some office park in the northland), but if they did that for every company, the city and state would go bankrupt.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:31 PM

20,175 posts, read 21,784,368 times
Since this is happening this year, have there been any new developments? Has anyone taken the stand of not attending those theaters due to the announcement and followed through on it? Was there any sort of petitioning of AMC to stay? It's sort of amazing how the metro is cannibalizing itself but I guess this happens all over.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:33 PM

30 posts, read 70,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Of course I'm talking about the current executives. AMC would have NEVER left downtown (or at least urban kcmo) if Stan Durwood were still alive, no matter how much Kansas bribed him. Only a few of companies like that still exist in KC (mainly Hallmark and American Century). H&R Block was very close to moving to JoCo. Kansas offered them a ton of cash, like 50-60 million. That was the one case where KCMO and the state of MO bent over to keep them (and only because they were part of the huge downtown redevelopment project not some office park in the northland), but if they did that for every company, the city and state would go bankrupt.
Thank you KCMO! I knew I understood you correctly.

I'm very sorry for getting even further off-topic, but there's another company/organization that I want to "throw" out there: The NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association). It looks like the first "real" NCAA headquarters was actually located in downtown Kansas City, MO. The NCAA spent almost 50 years in the Kansas City metro area (first 20 years right in downtown KCMO, and the last 30 years in Johnson County with final location in Overland Park). Get this, the reason why the NCAA moved to it's current location in Indianapolis, IN, was because the OP location was too far from the international airport, and the location was an inconvenience to visitors. Kansas City tried to make a deal with the NCAA in bringing the headquarters back to The City, but lost out to Indianapolis due, mainly, to the outdated Kemper Arena. Here's what I believe: If the downtown KCMO revitalization project would have began, like, a decade (or even 5 years) sooner, then the NCAA likely would have taken the offer made by Kansas City.

I haven't done any research on this, but I think basketball is the most lucrative collegiate sport, due mainly to the NCAA tournament and Final Four. Of course, the NCAA established it's first "official" headquarters in Kansas City, MO since that happened to be where the first NCAA President was from. But, the KCMO headquarters was also fitting due to it's proximity to the University of Kansas (KU) in Lawrence, given that the KU basketball program was started by Dr. James Naismith who was the inventor of the basketball as well as the original rules of basketball. Of course, it's current location is also fitting since Indiana is a HUGH basketball state.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:57 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,525,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese30 View Post
Thank you KCMO! I knew I understood you correctly.

I'm very sorry for getting even further off-topic, but there's another company/organization that I want to "throw" out there: The NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association). It looks like the first "real" NCAA headquarters was actually located in downtown Kansas City, MO. The NCAA spent almost 50 years in the Kansas City metro area (first 20 years right in downtown KCMO, and the last 30 years in Johnson County with final location in Overland Park). Get this, the reason why the NCAA moved to it's current location in Indianapolis, IN, was because the OP location was too far from the international airport, and the location was an inconvenience to visitors. Kansas City tried to make a deal with the NCAA in bringing the headquarters back to The City, but lost out to Indianapolis due, mainly, to the outdated Kemper Arena. Here's what I believe: If the downtown KCMO revitalization project would have began, like, a decade (or even 5 years) sooner, then the NCAA likely would have taken the offer made by Kansas City.

I haven't done any research on this, but I think basketball is the most lucrative collegiate sport, due mainly to the NCAA tournament and Final Four. Of course, the NCAA established it's first "official" headquarters in Kansas City, MO since that happened to be where the first NCAA President was from. But, the KCMO headquarters was also fitting due to it's proximity to the University of Kansas (KU) in Lawrence, given that the KU basketball program was started by Dr. James Naismith who was the inventor of the basketball as well as the original rules of basketball. Of course, it's current location is also fitting since Indiana is a HUGH basketball state.
You know KC pretty well (which I admire since few do) and I would agree with your post. It's difficult to say if the NCAA would have stayed in KC regardless of the arena situation. Indy made it clear that they wanted to be the center of collegiate sports and they were pulling out all the stops and while KC might have lost some NCAA tournaments because of Kemper, KC would never host a final four again anyway despite its history simply because KC does not have a domed football stadium. At the same time, I think the NCAA might have stayed in KC had the arena, power and light district, college basketball experience etc been built sooner or if the NCAA was a part of those projects in their initial phases.

The thing is when the NCAA left downtown KCMO for JoCo and eventually moved to their very nondescript building on College Blvd, they lost touch with KC altogether. Like many in JoCo, they thought people would want to come clear out there to visit their facility and that was just not the case. They had a very difficult time getting any kind of traffic out there, especially tourists. They just thought it was a KC thing when it was really a terrible location thing. Not only was it a crazy cab or even drive from airport, but it was far from any cultural/tourism area of KC and it was nearly impossible to find or notice just by driving by and why would a tourist be anywhere near there in the first place? They didn't get it. (still very much a problem in the KC area today).

KCMO put together a nice offer for them, but it was nothing like what has since happened downtown. It would have been a nice facility near Crown Center, but nothing on the scale that Indy offered.

But yea, had they stuck around a bit longer or been more involved with KCMO in the first place to be a part of the downtown revitalization, they probably would have stayed in KC. Most of their employees didn't want to move and many chose to stay behind. The NCAA basically just walked away from their very long history of college basketball in KC because of the lack of interaction they had with the very city the left decades prior and put them on the map in the first place. Again, this problem continues to plague KC. 5-10 years after a company leaves KCMO for Kansas, they not only leave a physical location, but they pretty much culturally leave the "city" and things are never the same. They no longer have that civic pride and interaction and become brainwashed into thinking that everything revolves around a very bland suburban county. They don't realize that JoCo is just average suburbia, nothing more especially to people from outside the KC area. It's just not that impressive. JoCo still needs KCMO and the day the two get along and work together is the day that metro KC will simply take off and then JoCo might be able to land some companies from out of town rather than buying them from KCMO.

Last edited by kcmo; 01-08-2013 at 02:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or