U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 11:38 AM

11 posts, read 8,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
Most apartment/townhouse complexes in Overland Park, and really all of Johnson County, are safe. I've lived in northern (older) Johnson County for years without issue. There is a glut of apartments around 75th and Quivira that have had some problems, or at least they seemed to have a lot of shady characters when I lived nearby several years ago. If you choose Mission, don't move into the Falls Apartments.

I really can't help you with Platte and Clay counties in Missouri (north of downtown), but they will be closing Hwy. 169 (Broadway Extension) this week, and again next spring for long term repairs.

Thank you for the info.
I checked the drive time from Barry area (assuming Reserve of Barry apartment) in the north of downtown - Takes 25 mins for a 15 miles drive through Hwy 29
I kind of like the "Zona Rosa" - it is pulling me towards that side.
Still considering the Overland Park area too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 03:44 PM

889 posts, read 1,427,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabujeyaseelan View Post
Thank you for the info.
I checked the drive time from Barry area (assuming Reserve of Barry apartment) in the north of downtown - Takes 25 mins for a 15 miles drive through Hwy 29
I kind of like the "Zona Rosa" - it is pulling me towards that side.
Still considering the Overland Park area too.
Zona Rosa is a fine place-- almost everything you need is in that I-29/Barry Road area. The Reserve at Barry is an apartment complex.

By the way, I lived in the Roseville/New Brighton, Minnesota area for a couple of years. I commuted to University Ave. in St. Paul.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:49 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,249 times
Quote:
Minneapolis is very safe and I am not getting that feeling reading through the forums about KC so want to be pretty sure when I am choosing the place to live
Actually Minneapolis city often shows up on top 10 crime lists. KC does too at times and it's unfortunate people on this site talk about it so much because it scares people away. Most of KC's issues are in low income burbs and on the E Side, and frankly there are major major issues in several hoods in that area, but is easy to avoid.

Downtown is very safe now and midtown is improving significantly - but all parts of the metro have their issues at times like any metro, including MSP area. The E Side is just a mess though and is unfortunate that it scares people away from the city core as a whole.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Actually Minneapolis city often shows up on top 10 crime lists. KC does too at times and it's unfortunate people on this site talk about it so much because it scares people away. Most of KC's issues are in low income burbs and on the E Side, and frankly there are major major issues in several hoods in that area, but is easy to avoid.

Downtown is very safe now and midtown is improving significantly - but all parts of the metro have their issues at times like any metro, including MSP area. The E Side is just a mess though and is unfortunate that it scares people away from the city core as a whole.

I totally agree with you. Even downtown Minneapolis is not too safe and I hardly go there. All cities have areas that are unsafe.Anywhere I go an read about KC - there is too much written about crime which does scare me a bit!

Old 09-20-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
Zona Rosa is a fine place-- almost everything you need is in that I-29/Barry Road area. The Reserve at Barry is an apartment complex.

By the way, I lived in the Roseville/New Brighton, Minnesota area for a couple of years. I commuted to University Ave. in St. Paul.

Thanks. Comforting to hear from someone who live in MN.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:33 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,998,573 times
Quote:
I totally agree with you. Even downtown Minneapolis is not too safe and I hardly go there. All cities have areas that are unsafe.Anywhere I go an read about KC - there is too much written about crime which does scare me a bit!
When you hear about a drive by shooting or homicide, 99% of the time its related. You are more likely to be killed driving to work then get gunned down by some random person.

The news does a great job of trying to scare people.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:01 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,204,220 times
As Brew touched upon, if you want to be safe, you should live as close as possible to work. Commuting on the highway is by far the most high-risk activity most people engage in on a daily basis.

Crime in Kansas City is very localized, and with basic relocation research should not be something to concern yourself overly with.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
As Brew touched upon, if you want to be safe, you should live as close as possible to work. Commuting on the highway is by far the most high-risk activity most people engage in on a daily basis.

Crime in Kansas City is very localized, and with basic relocation research should not be something to concern yourself overly with.

My work location would be downtown and if I have to live close by then it has to Downtown - which sounds to be very unsafe (reading through various articels)
Are you saying that even driving on a highway si unsafe in KC?

Old 09-20-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
When you hear about a drive by shooting or homicide, 99% of the time its related. You are more likely to be killed driving to work then get gunned down by some random person.

The news does a great job of trying to scare people.
Are you saying that people get killed while driving in KC?

Old 09-20-2011, 03:12 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,998,573 times
Quote:
Are you saying that people get killed while driving in KC?
People die in a car accidents all the time, it's just not as sensationalized on the news like a shooting , and people here really cannot drive here when there is a little snow or ice on the ground, i'm sure you are use to driving in wintery conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or