U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 02:50 PM

327 posts, read 819,266 times

Advertisements

Sadly, blatant racism was alive and well in many cities and suburbs in the 70's and 80's, Denverian. Johnson County certainly doesn't hold exclusive rights to that one. It's very possible that your Johnson County friends are racists. It's learned behavior perpetrated by ignorant people in all counties in our country. You missed the mark on that one, Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 03:01 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,848,534 times
The OP probably should have specifed he/she was addressing JOCO KS when posting in the Missouri forum and not Johnson County Missouri.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:45 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I laughed if that makes you feel better, Pete. This KC forum has become one big wet noodle lately.
I did, too, esp. since I know you're a JoCo resident!

Old 09-21-2011, 06:35 AM

210 posts, read 348,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The OP probably should have specifed he/she was addressing JOCO KS when posting in the Missouri forum and not Johnson County Missouri.
What's the difference?

Old 09-21-2011, 12:09 PM

210 posts, read 348,476 times
If the workers handling our curbside recycling can't keep all the aluminum cans from falling out, then it will be reflected in their Christmas tip.

Would it kill Trader Joe's to accept the American Express Black card?

Third time this week our neighborhood pool doesn't have enough lounge chairs. Honestly, I don't know why I even try!

I know we're supposed to turn the other cheek, but the barista at the coffee shop in our church is just flat out RUDE.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:18 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,609,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPete View Post
If the workers handling our curbside recycling can't keep all the aluminum cans from falling out, then it will be reflected in their Christmas tip.

Third time this week our neighborhood pool doesn't have enough lounge chairs. Honestly, I don't know why I even try!

I know we're supposed to turn the other cheek, but the barista at the coffee shop in our church is just flat out RUDE.

Ha ha!

Old 09-22-2011, 12:28 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,496,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPete View Post

If your church has a coffee shop... well, that's just so wrong! Must be one of those "jumbo-tron/power point presentation/hand waving/Armani suit wearing pastor" mega entertainmochurches?

Old 09-22-2011, 12:31 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,496,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellykat View Post
Sadly, blatant racism was alive and well in many cities and suburbs in the 70's and 80's, Denverian. Johnson County certainly doesn't hold exclusive rights to that one. It's very possible that your Johnson County friends are racists. It's learned behavior perpetrated by ignorant people in all counties in our country. You missed the mark on that one, Denver.
How did I miss the mark? We weren't discussing all counties in our country. I'm quite aware that racism is everywhere.

I would like to think that with more racial diversity in JoCo today, perhaps racism, especially among younger people, is not as prevalent.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:13 PM

327 posts, read 819,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
How did I miss the mark? We weren't discussing all counties in our country. I'm quite aware that racism is everywhere.

I would like to think that with more racial diversity in JoCo today, perhaps racism, especially among younger people, is not as prevalent.
Your post bashing Johnson County by attempting to portray the county as a racist community paints an false picture, past and present.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:40 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
smellykat, you do realize that JoCo owes much of it's success to racism don't you? The state line (with kcmo) and county line (with kck) were huge barriers at one time keeping out blacks. It may not the case in 2011, but you can't ignore how such a large area so close to a major core city remained so white for so long while black migration spread into Raytown, Grandview etc and is now as far away from the core as Lee' Summit, Grandview/Cass County etc. While today I don't think JoCo is racist per say, I think it's more of a choice of most middle class blacks to simply avoid it (choosing places like Lee's Summit instead often due to the history of JoCo or personal experiences they have had there), but the history is there.

Do some research on Leawood's history. Did you know they refused to even widen any streets that connected with KCMO (95th, 103rd etc) for the longest time?

While white flight effected every metro in the country, especially midwestern and southern metros, I'm not sure there is a major metropolitan county in the country that is literally across the street from two urban counties with high minority populations that is just now seeing a very minor increase is black migration. It's really almost difficult to comprehend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or