U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 12:17 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPete View Post
I think its silly to say the state line has much to do with this since pretty much EVERY urban area has a failing school district as well, some that lay close to state borders, but many of which do no. This it not a KC problem, this is a NATIONWIDE problem and we really need a NATIONWIDE solution.
I didn't say the state line had anything to do with the KC district failing. White flight caused that and Raytown probably had more impact on the KCMOSD than JoCo did in the early years of the district's downhill spiral. Almost every urban district has this problem now. I said it creates problems for the MO side because any drastic changes that happen at the KCMOSD will effect the entire MO side of the metro area and drive families (both existing and new to the area) to the KS side where all of this can be totally avoided. While some of the closest suburban districts to KCMO are actually in Kansas which will not have to deal with any challenging demographic changes.

Past migration and growth patterns around the metro can be linked in some degree to the KCMOSD problems and the federal desegregation mandates. I think only in the past decade have these problems been somewhat forgotten about because there has been little talk of having to integrate suburban schools with city schools. As the problems with the KCMOSD continue to worsen, the rumors will start to fly again about having "ghetto" kids in suburban schools or having suburban kids bused to inner city schools, or how people should avoid KC or even Missouri side schools all together. However absurd the rumors may be, people run with them. This causes people considering a move in metro KC or considering moving to the KC area to focus on only Johnson County where this threat does not exist.

Here is an interesting story about how kids in the KCMOSD can now go to any MO side district for free.

Loss of accreditation could move KC students into EJC schools - Independence, MO - The Examiner

Does anybody know how the St Loius City schools have affected County schools? StL Schools have been taken over by the state. They are worse than KC. But I don't know enough about how StL City is effecting the county.

My guess is that the older parts of the county are seeing some of the same problems as the city. If JoCo were not in another state, I think the situation would be similar. JoCo does not have great schools just because the county is run by amazing people. They have great schools because of the lay of the land in KC and that imaginary line keeps much of the lower end of the demographic spectrum out of the county which would make keeping top rated schools a much bigger challenge. That is just now starting to change though with parts of Northern JoCo starting to look like Raytown did in the 80's, no offense to Raytown because that city has really bounced back. Point is it's easy to have good schools when you have the cream of the crop of demographics. Not so easy when things get more diverse. So far, JoCo has been able to keep most of the social problems of metro KC (KCK,KCMO etc) out of JoCo.

Last edited by kcmo; 09-22-2011 at 12:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 09:21 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
hitting kids who've grown up with violence does nothing. They're immune to it.

KC is still very behind other comparably sized cities with magnet and charter schools. I am so concerned that we're providing a terrible education to so many underpriveleged kids right now that it makes me sick, but there's two, what I've come to believe, essentially separate, issues at play:

1. How do we educate the kids who have a rotten home life; those who grow up in poverty with no emphasis on education, and

2. How do we educate middle class kids who do have decent/good home lives who are being dragged down in rotten neighborhood schools currently?

One solution alone won't fix this, but running middle class families out of the city isn't the way to bring in tax revenues and that won't fix either problem.

KC needs more selective-enrollment and alternative magnet schools, and to look at (well run) charter school options. Like now.
As an educator, I'm reasonably pro-alternative/magnet schools, and I really WANT to get behind charter schools, but I'm currently fairly wary and withholding judgment until there's more time to observe a wide range of them. I'm interested to see how the Kauffman Foundation does with theirs.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:31 PM

210 posts, read 348,575 times
You should be wary. There will be some good ones, and a lot of bad ones. But at least kids will have choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or