U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 10:17 PM

12 posts, read 21,469 times

Advertisements

My husband is going to be in KC later this week interviewing for a job, and we're trying to get a good feel of the area, just in case, but holy crap, I am SO confused after reading several of the posts here!

So, I'll tell you what we need, and then you tell me where we should live!

*Super safe...we have 5 little kids.
*Rent around 1500ish? I'm not sure if that's realistic or not, but I'm hoping it is.
*Close to a decent hosp. Our 2yo has really severe food allergies, so we need close access in case of an emergency. It would also be good to be close to a market like a Whole Foods that sells a lot of the specialty food items we need for her. Hy-Vee generally does, but some of the smaller/older ones do not.
*Close commute...his office would be near the big Farmer's Market.
*We really want a finished basement...sort of a petty one, but my little ones are scared of storms and basements, so if we have to spend anytime hiding from tornadoes, I'd like them to at least be comfortable while we do. The basement we have now is old/unfinished (we're in Iowa) and leaks and has mice!
*We'd prefer somewhere a little more liberal, but I don't care about MO/KS. (Please, for the love of god, do not turn this into a boarder-war thread! I just really don't care that much!!)
*Schools don't matter that much. We're secular homeschoolers, so I won't need them anyway!

So...what do you think? Can you point me in the direction of where to look? And since I'm totally unfamiliar with the area, the more specific you can be, the better!

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 10:36 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
If you are commuting to the River Market, then I would say the Northland. Liberty, Parkville, Gladstone all have some nice, but more affordable areas.

Lots of other areas around town too like Shawnee, Blue Springs, Lenexa, Lee's Summit, but your drive might be a bit longer.

I think there are more healthfood stores in the southern suburbs too and more large hospitals as well. Eastern Independnece, Blue Springs, Lee's Summit, Overland Park etc all have large modern hospitals, but the Northland does have NKC and Liberty hospitals.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:06 PM

889 posts, read 1,428,548 times
If you're commuting to the River Market area, I would also propose living north of the Missouri river (Clay and Platte Counties). The rent is very reasonable. Most homes have basements. Living north would put you close to St. Luke's Northland Hospital (I-29/Barry Rd.) or North Kansas City Hospital (I-29/35 & Armour Rd. - closer to downtown Kansas City).

kclearn.org should help you find other secular home school contacts.

And if you're scared of storms, you probably shouldn't watch us on TV during severe weather outbreaks (ha ha).

Old 09-28-2011, 10:29 AM

5,758 posts, read 9,489,324 times
You can easily find a home for under 1500 in the Northland as RadioSilence is referring too. You can probably get something for close to 1000 a month.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:13 PM

12 posts, read 21,469 times
Awesome! Thanks for the suggestsions! Can you give me the specific names of nice places north of the Mo River? So far, we've been looking at Gladstone the most. There are some okay houses listed on craigslist (though who knows how many of those are scams!) in Gladstone. I think my husband is going to check it out this weekend while he's down there.

I'd love any other suggestions as well! Thanks!

Old 09-29-2011, 10:53 AM

5,758 posts, read 9,489,324 times
Just about anywhere in Clay or Platte county would meet your needs. The area gets nicer as you get farther north for the most part. There are some rougher areas closer to the river but for the most part the Northland meets all your criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or