U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2011, 09:42 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,001,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
On top of that, Kansas City, KS, and Independence, MO, are very much cities unto themselves, KCK in terms of jobs and population, and Independence in terms that it's older than KCMO and is co-county seat. Overland Park, Olathe, and Johnson County in general have a huge suburban jobs base, rapidly approaching the same number of jobs as KCMO and Jackson County. KCK and Independence very much operate like Council Bluffs does in relation to Omaha.

I know of folks who live just across the state line, 2 miles from the Plaza, but have NEVER been, but will travel 15-20 miles to Village West or 10 miles to Oak Park Mall. I don't know that it's just a state line thing though because I know folks in Independence who think going across the metro is like going out of town. Speaking of my own family and their social surroundings, who are particularly yokel-types, they couldn't even tell you where the most major neighborhoods are in the city, like Brookside or Waldo, let alone Volker.

I've kind of always attributed some of the ignorance and yokel-type behavior to KCK, where I'm from, and a blue-collar thing, but perhaps it's widespread throughout the KC metro, which makes sense since we draw from so many small towns and rural areas.

Nobody really has pride or loyalty anymore. Back in the day people use to live in the same home and neighborhoods for generations, now most people live in the same home at an average of 3-4 years. How can you build loyalty or pride to an area when your moving every few years?

Too many people think a house is this great investment where you will turn a huge profit because we were told by the media it's this great investment and that we must buy a home with no money down. A house is not really not a great investment if you consider taxes, wear and tear, insurance,etc, people need to start looking at homes as just a place to live.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 09:52 AM

3,572 posts, read 6,205,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Nobody really has pride or loyalty anymore. Back in the day people use to live in the same home and neighborhoods for generations, now most people live in the same home at an average of 3-4 years. How can you build loyalty or pride to an area when your moving every few years?

Too many people think a house is this great investment where you will turn a huge profit because we were told by the media it's this great investment and that we must buy a home with no money down. A house is not really not a great investment if you consider taxes, wear and tear, insurance,etc, people need to start looking at homes as just a place to live.
I agree, especially with that last sentence and equate it with community building. That's something a lot of KC doesn't have, unless you were fortunate enough to grow up in the Plaza/Brookside/NE JoCo area. There's some of the life of yesteryear left in Independence and KCK as well.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:53 AM

136 posts, read 213,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPete View Post
"WHERE DID YOU GO TO HIGH SCHOOL?"

Seriously, whats up with that St. Louis?
It's just a stupid thing residents (mostly suburban residents) ask to determine what faith you are, where you grew up and your household income with one question. It's nothing more than something to guage if that person is worth your time talking too. It's also not used with Metro East residents, its mostly a Missouri side thing.

I've been only asked that question about 5 times in my life all from suburban residents and I just tell them my highschool is better than yours and walk away. Which my highschool is really a pisspoor academic school in a declining rust belt city 7 miles northeast of downtown St. Louis. I can pretend

Old 10-24-2011, 09:53 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,070,071 times
This is what I'll say..KC and St. Louis are both great cities, and I think it's not fair to say one is better than the other. Each are very different. Kansas City is a part of its county, St. Louis is not. As a metro area, St. Louis is much larger than KC. KC is newer than STL. St. Louis has a closer affiliation to the eastern industrial cities of the Midwest like Chicago, Milwaukee Cleveland, Detroit, and Cincinnati. Kansas City's affilations are with the cities of the west of the Mississippi like Omaha, Des Moines, and Minneapolis. Another key difference I've noticed is that KC seems more in line with Missouri than St. Louis.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:14 AM

400 posts, read 844,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterwood89 View Post
Actually St. Louis does have cities within a 100 miles that are larger than 50K.

O'Fallon 79,329

St. Charles 65,794

St. Peters 52,575

Florissant 52,158
Those are SUBURBS of STL. I thought it was obvious when I was talking about cities within 100 miles, that I was talking about separate, independent cities that are not part of the STL metro area.

Springfield is 85 miles away, so yeah technically it is within 100 miles. But when I said 100 miles I wasn't being exact, I was rounding to approx. 100 miles, which Springfield is "approximately" 100 miles from STL.

I love when people try to challenge me like I haven't done my homework already and don't know what I'm talking about. There are no metro areas within APPROXIMATELY 100 miles of STL. In contrast, KC has three other metro areas within 60 miles, two within 40 miles. That was my point for why people in the STL region would be more tied to STL than people in the KC region would be tied to KC. Urban primacy for you geographers out there.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:25 AM

136 posts, read 213,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Earth View Post
Those are SUBURBS of STL. I thought it was obvious when I was talking about cities within 100 miles, that I was talking about separate, independent cities that are not part of the STL metro area.
Really!? Your going throw a fit over this?

Old 10-24-2011, 11:03 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,520,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Earth View Post

Springfield is 85 miles away, so yeah technically it is within 100 miles. But when I said 100 miles I wasn't being exact, I was rounding to approx. 100 miles, which Springfield is "approximately" 100 miles from STL.

I love when people try to challenge me like I haven't done my homework already and don't know what I'm talking about. There are no metro areas within APPROXIMATELY 100 miles of STL. In contrast, KC has three other metro areas within 60 miles, two within 40 miles. That was my point for why people in the STL region would be more tied to STL than people in the KC region would be tied to KC. Urban primacy for you geographers out there.
What the hell does St Joe and and Topeka have to do with people in Olathe having zero respect or pride for KC?

Denver has small adjacent metro areas much like KC and they are more like StL than KC when it comes to having civic pride in the primary core city.

It's FAR more popular in metro KC to be anti kcmo than it is to defend it (let alone promote it). KC is messed up. Admit it and stop tring to justify it.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:40 PM

5,758 posts, read 9,495,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
It's FAR more popular in metro KC to be anti kcmo than it is to defend it (let alone promote it). KC is messed up. Admit it and stop tring to justify it.

Why can you not realize that not everyone has the same experience that you do and you dont know everything about everything. I have lived in KC my whole life and my experience does not reflect what you have said here.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:44 PM

20,176 posts, read 34,521,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Why can you not realize that not everyone has the same experience that you do and you dont know everything about everything. I have lived in KC my whole life and my experience does not reflect what you have said here.
Kansas should try to grow and develop jobs that aren't dependent on taking them from KC, MO as well. No one is moving to Kansas outside of JOCO outside of a couple counties. I agree with your perspective as well. The unfortunate thing is that KC just does not have a large area of high urban density overall and the prevalent mentality is anti-city because most of the metro is overtly suburban in character.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:17 PM

400 posts, read 844,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterwood89 View Post
Really!? Your going throw a fit over this?
Since you specifically called me out, I had to defend myself. I knew what I was saying and what I meant. You obviously did not, and made a comment that made me look like I didn't know what I was saying, so I clarified it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City