U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 06:29 PM

3,229 posts, read 6,657,433 times

Advertisements

Personally, i like the architecture of Kansas City a little more. The older frame construction found throughout Brookside, with it's historic "craftsman" interiors are gorgeous as well (Built ins, hardwoods, mission styled architecture).

I think St. Louis carries more of a "City" Feel to it, but as to which one is better that will depend mostly on personal opinion. While I was born and raised in St. Louis, i grew into adulthood in Kansas City, and as such, i have some very fond memories of that town. I do feel that the people of Kansas City seemed more laid back than in St. Louis. And it might have just been my general far Southwest Suburb of Olathe, but the neighbors didn't seem as neighborly. Maybe it was because i was still flying for a living and was gone more than half the month every month. But in the year we owned our home, we were officially introduced to only one neighbor...within three weeks of our new place in St. Louis we knew more than half the folks on the block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 09:22 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,197,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Personally, i like the architecture of Kansas City a little more. The older frame construction found throughout Brookside, with it's historic "craftsman" interiors are gorgeous as well (Built ins, hardwoods, mission styled architecture).
That's interesting, because I've always thought STL has everything KC has and then some. I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about, but STL certainly has Brookside-style neighborhoods in the southwest part of the city and into the inner suburbs. How about St. Louis Hills, Holly Hills?

Old 11-14-2011, 07:36 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,207,945 times
^I'd agree with flynavy that St. Louis city really doesn't have nearly as many of those large, sprawling Craftmans -- or really anything not red brick -- as South Plaza down through Brookside does. I'm not a huge fan of the shirtwaists here, though they certainly are KC specific, but the Craftsmans are gorgeous, and St. Louis city doesn't have a ton of them. You see more in places like Webster Groves actually, because it was built up somewhat later than most of St. Louis city -- you could plop this place: 479 Algonquin Pl Webster Groves MO - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11021473 - Realtor.com® down in Brookside and it would look just right.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:41 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,998,962 times
Whats up with St Louis lately in terms of crime. Some "knockout game" these hoodrats are playing where they just randomly beat the crap out of someone, one person has died as a result. It seems like some of these crimes are happening in pretty decent neighborhoods as well.

Apparently Knockout Game Has Similar Rules to Uno - St. Louis News - Daily RFT

7th juvenile is arrested in St. Louis 'knockout game' attack

St. Louis teen charged with 'knockout game' attack

Kind of scary stuff

Old 11-28-2011, 10:53 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,783 times
Bummer to see this happening in Tower Grove, which seems to be on the upswing otherwise. Hopefully this is short lived like KC's Plaza flash mob thing. It took significant proactive action though to stop it.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:44 AM

Crime as a whole is down, but those knockout games are getting a lot of media attention -- obviously because they're so random and that's frightening. But, much like KC's problems with flash mobs on the Plaza this summer, I'm hopeful that the cooler temps and higher police presence will take care of it. Especially because we're talking mostly about young wanna be thugs, not hardened criminals.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:20 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,998,962 times
One of the victims of the knockout game was found by the Mayor and his guard.

I think these kinds of things get media attention because it's happening in mainly white neighborhoods. If these knockout games were happening on the North Side of STL, nobody would probably even care.

Hasn't STL had the same flash mob problems on Delmar?

Old 11-28-2011, 12:25 PM

The areas of TGS where this is happening might be primarily white but just barely. It's mostly been on the south side of the neighborhood closer to Gravois Park which is generally acknowledged as the worst South City neighborhood. That's by no means an excuse -- but I don't think the location alone explains all the media attention about it.

Delmar had what amounted to a few days of trouble when school was out and the weather nice, but they were able to get it under control with a significant increase in police presence. They did not have to institute a curfew thankfully (as I find them exceedingly unfair) and there was no major violence that came out of it.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:50 PM

111 posts, read 160,587 times
I have been back and forth from STL to KC. I have spent a lot of time in KC, live in STL. I think both cities have their unique aspects and are very different, when referring to the things that make cities unique, such as architecture, industry, people, neighborhoods, amenities, etc.... As a visitor, I love the Plaza, Brush Creek area, Mission Hills, the stadiums and the hills in KC. I love the historical buildings in STL, Forest Park and the neighborhoods. IMO: STL is much more urban and has more historical building stock and history in general. I think STL feels more like an urban city. KC has places that feel urban, but not as many. It is more laid back and suburban. I really dislike the Kansas vs. Missouri thing in KC. It is fun when referring to the MU vs. KU thing, but the rest is annoying. Kansas claims to be better, have the bigger companies and the MO side claims to be the center of it all. I understand the geography and history there, but it is 2011 and they should work as a metro area.

I see a few people bashing STL and referring to it as a drain to MO and an economically declining city. Not so fast! Regarding the State of MO, STL is a major economic driver. STL accounts for 40% of the State's GDP, is home to the headquarters for 21 Fortune 1000 companies, eight of which are in the Fortune 500. Something many overlook is the fact that St. Louis is home 7 companies on the Forbes largest private companies list. Fortune 1000 Companies and Forbes Largest Private Companies
Also, large companies have major operations in STL, Mastercard, Boeing, GM,
Anheuser-Busch (NA HQ), Scottrade, Stifel, Well Fargo Advisors, amongst others. STL is not on the decline, nor is it sucking the life out of the State. Not sure why anyone would ever say that. KC has some big companies, but unfortunately for MO, 3 of the F500 companies are in KS. I know Ford is big in KC as well.

People in STL are so defensive and quick to defend the city because it is not only underrated, it is overlooked by many and considered a flyover city. STL gets an unfair rap on crime and other rankings because the city is independant of STL County, making stats look so bad, compared to cities that are part of their county. Constantly, you here idiots feeding into this stuff and it eventually causes residents to get a complex. At the same time, knowing how great a city STL is, residents also have a great deal of pride and want to fight the perceptions of outsiders. You cannot go anywhere in the metro, without seeing a piece of STL sports gear on someone. I think KC has a hard time with that because of the MO-KS bickering. I couldn't imagine if my neighbor loved the Cardinals, but hated Mizzou or loved the Cubs. KC has the MO-KS issue and STL has the City-County issue. As much as we all love STL in general, many County folks do not have the vision or brains to see the benefits of STL City entering STL County. It instantly would bump STL from the crime rankings, STD rankings and move it from the "52nd" largest city in the US, which some actually believe is the case.

As a STL resident, I have never had hard feelings for KC (except 85' WS and when the Chiefs killed Warner and Faulk in one game). I have never had a bad thing to say. I have a lot of friends in KC and know a lot that have moved to STL. They all swear that many KC'ers hate STL and have a complex about it. I see the dislike at times, but I'm not really sure where it stems from. Can any KC'ers chime in??? I think as a KC or STL resident, we should hate Jeff City more or at least those running it. Seems that even though the major cities drive the economy of the State, Jeff City decides what happens with that money. As you can see, it is not working out very well for the State.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:00 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
^ Excellent post. Agree on all counts.

Merging StL City and County should be the number one priority for the StL area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City