U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2011, 11:29 AM

20,184 posts, read 34,528,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPete View Post
We have the better downtown IMO, but they have the better urban hoods.

That city is hemorrraging population though. Ours has stabilized and is growing, but they are fleeing to the burbs at a rapid rate.
Of course the city is growing when it has huge amounts of land in four different counties. More sprawl to complement the most highway road lane miles of any metro in the country. Cheers to the car culture
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 11:32 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,237,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Lots of St. Louis people go there unless things have changed in the year and a half since I was last there.

I have been to the Landing tons of times and most of the time it was because a St. Louis friend of mine took me there. Every single time I have been it has been packed with people.
I don't know anyone who lives in the city proper that goes to Laclede's Landing, but plenty of the bridge and tunnel crowd does, I agree. Though the bachelorette party crowd has been slowly migrating to Wash Ave.

Two years ago a friend who was planning a mutual friend's B-Party asked me "Hey, so you know the city pretty well, right? What do you think about going to the Washington Avenue Loft District?" She sounded like she was reading it out of the Zagat guide or something. I laughed (in my head) heartily.

Most of the city folks I know prefer South Grand, Morganford, Soulard, Lafeyette Square, the Loop, the CWE or the Grove. Or a random dive bar in hoosiery Patch. That's the best :P

Old 10-17-2011, 11:34 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,001,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I can only think of one place on Washington Avenue that I would classify as a club. Most of them are bars.
This was a couple years ago and the area of wash ave i described was between like 16th and 9th, so this might not even be the Wash Ave that is full of bars comparable to P&L

Old 10-17-2011, 11:37 AM

35,822 posts, read 39,431,510 times
Locals in any metro tend to overwhelmingly eschew tourist destinations for local hangouts, with the exception of the just-turned-twenty-ones. This isn't a KC thing, or a STL thing, it's an any-city thing. Every larger city has an entertainment district, or more than one, that the locals roll their eyes at and say they'd never be caught dead in, because it's full of people in from the suburbs or outta town or 21-year olds. Neither STL or KC has the market cornered on that sentiment.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Locals in any metro tend to overwhelmingly eschew tourist destinations for local hangouts, with the exception of the just-turned-twenty-ones. This isn't a KC thing, or a STL thing, it's an any-city thing. Every larger city has an entertainment district, or more than one, that the locals roll their eyes at and say they'd never be caught dead in, because it's full of people in from the suburbs or outta town or 21-year olds. Neither STL or KC has the market cornered on that sentiment.
Truth!

Old 10-17-2011, 11:41 AM

414 posts, read 745,072 times
Access and activities. STL has them in spades.

The Metro gets you to a lot of places that you will want to be and it is a clean, friendly and fast experience. KC lacks any comparable way to hop from place to place with ease w/o hopping in your car or hailing a cab. In addition, districts/neighborhoods are well connected to each other and are not as separated by open fields, car lots and abandoned areas as they are in KC.

I get the perception that KC might be more family friendly but if you look closely I think STL still wins in this race. Free Zoo, free Science Center, the City Museum is amazingly awesome for kids (and adults at night) and more free events than you can shake a stick at. A family with a tight budget can do a lot in STL. I don't think that is as true in KC.

KC has a sleepy quality to it that I think suits a lot of people very happily. Though, not so sleepy that most people get bored out of their minds. STL feels more like a happening place that is always on the go. Just my perception.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:29 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,525,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I don't know anyone who lives in the city proper that goes to Laclede's Landing, but plenty of the bridge and tunnel crowd does, I agree. Though the bachelorette party crowd has been slowly migrating to Wash Ave.

Two years ago a friend who was planning a mutual friend's B-Party asked me "Hey, so you know the city pretty well, right? What do you think about going to the Washington Avenue Loft District?" She sounded like she was reading it out of the Zagat guide or something. I laughed (in my head) heartily.

Most of the city folks I know prefer South Grand, Morganford, Soulard, Lafeyette Square, the Loop, the CWE or the Grove. Or a random dive bar in hoosiery Patch. That's the best :P
yea, most people I have ever known in KC and even a lot in suburban StL only know of StL via the Landing and Union Station (and some of the regional attractions like six flags, zoo, science center etc). Most have no idea about StL City or even Clayton, Ucity etc at all, not a clue.

Yet they still come back to KC talking up how great StL is. I always thought, dang, if only you knew the neat areas of the city, you would go nuts .

But knowing StL so well is fun. We would go down to Chesterfield or Lake St Louis or even Oakville and pick up friends or family and take them into the city and show them all the "other" places".

Old 10-17-2011, 01:36 PM

210 posts, read 349,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
This is incorrect -- If St. Louis had 150 sq/miles of suburbs attached to its city limits as KC does, it wouldn't be "hemorraghing" population -- it's losing many black residents as they move to the burbs and empty out dangeous neighborhoods. But tons of STL neighborhoods have successfully gentrified in a way completely foreign to KC in the last decade and a half.

And I think Wash Ave kicks P&Ls tooshie. And having downtown baseball makes my heart happy.
But St. Louis doesn't have 150 sq/miles of suburbs attached to its city limits, so what I said is actually "correct."

Old 10-17-2011, 01:39 PM

When I meet someone here or in Chicago or in Columbia that was disdainful of St. Louis and I asked them why or where they'd been, most of the time it's those same things you mentioned. I've had the opportunity a few times over the last few years to play shepherd to some STL tourists and it's been such a great experience to really show them what the town is all about. St. Louis, and Kansas City for that matter, aren't cities like Chicago which just opens its arms to you in a big, sparkly, vibrant hug. Other, smaller cities require research and guidance.

It's also been fun to do that for folks who are from St. Louis. I took my mom through Lafayette Square recently and she looked like she was going to cry. I mean, show someone a photo and ask them what city it's from, and few will guess it's St. Louis unless they've had an opportunity to go there.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:40 PM

210 posts, read 349,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMonk View Post

I get the perception that KC might be more family friendly but if you look closely I think STL still wins in this race. Free Zoo, free Science Center, the City Museum is amazingly awesome for kids (and adults at night) and more free events than you can shake a stick at. A family with a tight budget can do a lot in STL. I don't think that is as true in KC.
Not sure I agree with that. We have Crown Center - which has Kaleidoscope, Coterie Theater, free events all the time, and will soon have a Legoland and Aquarium, we have the College Basketball Experience, the WW I Museum, Union Station which has Science City, the Rail Experience and the Planetarium, our zoo admission is still pretty cheap, we have an awesome free petting zoo in Overland Park in Deanna Rose, you have Great Wolf Lodge, family-oriented shopping at Legends, Worlds of Fun, Oceans of Fun, and Schlitterbarn.

I think St. Louis is great and I'm sure there is other stuff you didn't list, but I think KC bends over backwards for families here, even those on a budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City