U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 06:08 PM

327 posts, read 819,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMonk View Post
Access and activities. STL has them in spades.

The Metro gets you to a lot of places that you will want to be and it is a clean, friendly and fast experience. KC lacks any comparable way to hop from place to place with ease w/o hopping in your car or hailing a cab. In addition, districts/neighborhoods are well connected to each other and are not as separated by open fields, car lots and abandoned areas as they are in KC.

I get the perception that KC might be more family friendly but if you look closely I think STL still wins in this race. Free Zoo, free Science Center, the City Museum is amazingly awesome for kids (and adults at night) and more free events than you can shake a stick at. A family with a tight budget can do a lot in STL. I don't think that is as true in KC.

KC has a sleepy quality to it that I think suits a lot of people very happily. Though, not so sleepy that most people get bored out of their minds. STL feels more like a happening place that is always on the go. Just my perception.
Sadly, the metrolink doesn't offer access to west county or many other parts of the county. I wouldn't describe KC as sleepy. Laid back is a more appropriate description. It's been years since I lived in urban KCMO. From your description, it sounds really blighted. Not so in St. Louis? The free attractions offered in St. Louis would certainly benefit families on tight budgets, and St. Louis hosts a great venue. I'm glad you like STL, and you will certainly enjoy living in the city. Sadly, the St. Louis public school district is even worse than its counterpart in KC, but there are many great parochial neighborhood schools available for families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 06:19 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
I don't think KC is especially sleepy, either. Just my impression, and one that's definitely influenced by having come from an EXCEEDINGLY sleepy location, a small, remote farming community. I've lived bustling, world-class city type places, too (although even the city that never sleeps does, in fact, sleep, in my experience). To me, KC isn't sleepy or podunk, and neither is St. Louis. They're just midsize Midwestern cities.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:23 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
While I do like StL a little better than KC, I too wouldn't call KC sleepy or boring or really any less laid back than StL.

KC is a great city, St Louis is just one of the handful of cities I prefer over KC. It's just more my style and I like the feel of the city and metro a little better than KC.

Missouri should be proud to have two great urban centers. Most states in that region can't claim one , let alone two cities like that.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:30 PM

Yeah, I don't really see the point any perceived comparison game or competition. I don't get in pissing contests over whether popcorn is better than tortilla chips, either. They aren't the same, but made of comparable ingredients. While the presentation is different, both represent good snack choices.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:53 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,618,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I'm sure. It's where suburbanites (or really just out of towners) go. I have always avoided the Landing and don't know of many locals that have ever gone there.

Let's see Spaghetti Factory or any one of the many places on the Hill...

As far as the Plaza being an entertainment district, I consider it entertainment to people watch, listen to live sidewalk music, dine on a sidewalk cafe etc. and there are still some night spots. It's more mixed use, but it's still an entertainment district that is going to be more active more often. P&L is dead outside fri-sat nights.
There was a time when The Landing was the place to go....anyone old enough to remember Mississippi Nights back in the day?
Oh dear, I just outed myself on my age.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:16 PM

400 posts, read 843,366 times
If I was going to choose between KC and STL, I would choose KC for its location and better economy. STL may have more Fortune 500's, but their economy seems stagnant compared to KC. Population growth is stagnant compared to KC as well. I like KC's location relative to the plains states, Minneapolis, Denver, and the Rockies. I also like the satellite cities around KC better than the satellite cities around STL. I'm talking about cities like Des Moines, Omaha, Lawrence, Lincoln, Wichita, Ames. I prefer those to, what exactly, Peoria? Evansville?

This may be a personal preference for me that doesn't apply to others, but I have more family members closer to KC than to STL, so I have more of a connection to KC. STL just seems out of the way relative to where I have lived and where I travel to visit friends and family. I grew up in Iowa, and for a long time there wasn't even a four-lane highway from Iowa to STL. It is still hard to get from central Iowa to STL. But Iowa to KC was a breeze.

Also, the map geek in me doesn't like the way that STL is laid out. I like cities that are laid out along a rectangular grid, like Minneapolis, KC, Chicago, Denver, Omaha. STL has an odd development pattern. Development is severely disjointed on either side of the river and the grid pattern in urban STL is unusual.

I honestly can't think of a single reason why I would ever move to STL over KC. I think even KC's climate is better, and I'm not a big fan of KC's summers. All personal preferences, I guess.

Also, STL has one of the worst downtown skylines of any major American city. What is the tallest building, like 300 feet? Build some tall buildings!

Major crime issues on the north side, too. WAY worse than KC or Minneapolis.

Surprised there are so many STL boosters on here. I always viewed STL as kind of a cancer sucking the energy away from KC. KC would probably be doing a lot better if it didn't have STL overshadowing it. KC is located pretty much equidistant from Chicago, Minneapolis, Denver, and Dallas. Pretty much the central point between those four cities. What is the only larger city in that region between those cities? St. Louis. So you could argue that if St. Louis didn't exist, KC would be a much more important and bigger place.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:31 AM

4 posts, read 10,782 times
List of tallest buildings in Missouri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very similar building heights in each city.

I'm pretty sure the KC skyline appears taller in a lot of images because it is on a hill. Downtown STL is basically in a river plain with few, if any vantage points like you get of KC from the south.

I also prefer irregular grids and feel that STL's radial pattern is very easy to understand and offers more complexity than your standard Manhattan street grid. Paris has an incredibly rich and tangled urban fabric, as do many of the world's most beautiful cities. The rectangular block system quickly becomes monotonous.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Earth View Post
Surprised there are so many STL boosters on here. I always viewed STL as kind of a cancer sucking the energy away from KC. KC would probably be doing a lot better if it didn't have STL overshadowing it.
This is the kind of thing that's weird to me.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:16 AM

136 posts, read 213,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Earth View Post
Also, STL has one of the worst downtown skylines of any major American city. What is the tallest building, like 300 feet? Build some tall buildings!
St. Louis never was that kind of city to build any tall buildings even during the peak years of st. louis from 1880-1950 nothing was built above 430'. We were not the flashy cities like Detroit, Chicago or New York where we built highrises like crazy instead we built a bunch of dense mid-rises thats why it was a huge shock when the arch was built. Tall buildings don't make or break a city I would much rather live in a city with amazing dense urban neighborhoods than have a bunch of tall buildings in downtown. I would rather go back to 1920's St. Louis skyline than the current one we have.

Side note: the tallest building in St. Louis is 593' not 300'

Old 10-18-2011, 08:05 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,212,345 times
Peoria? Seriously? St. Louis has some of the best weekend getaways outside of the east coast!

Within 400 miles (or about 6 hours) you have:
Chicago
Memphis
Louisville
Nashville
Cincinnatti
Indianapolis
Des Moines
Kansas City
Lexington
Tulsa
Milwaukee

You might be closer to Colorado here, which is great, but it's still not a weekend drive for all but the most hardcore of roadtrippers. It's more than 600 miles to Denver!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City