Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 03:13 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellykat View Post
I totally agree with this, and I don't think it's fake. St. Louisans do have a strong sense of allegiance to their city, are very passionate about their hometown, and are very biased. The sun, the moon, and the stars rise and shine on St. Louis. Not my style, (I've traveled too much and lived in other cities to buy in to it,) but, as an outsider, I must concede to a grudging admiration. Yes, I would like to see more KC pride.
I've lived in a lot of cities, and even other countries and found them wonderful, but there is just something about StL, and MO, for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 03:53 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellykat View Post
I totally agree with this, and I don't think it's fake. St. Louisans do have a strong sense of allegiance to their city, are very passionate about their hometown, and are very biased. The sun, the moon, and the stars rise and shine on St. Louis. Not my style, (I've traveled too much and lived in other cities to buy in to it,) but, as an outsider, I must concede to a grudging admiration. Yes, I would like to see more KC pride.
Just to set the record straight, when I said fake, I don't mean everybody, or even most. I think most people in the city and even StL County are pretty legit. But I have met a lot of people from west county or st charles county and other metro counties that don't know anymore about StL than a random person from KC would. They probably even avoid most of the city if had they had the chance because of the same issues that freak out KC people (crime, ignorance etc).

But they are still loyal to the city and will defend the city and talk up the city and go off on you if you choose to rip on the city.

In KC, most people are more likely to jump in on a kcmo rip fest than defend it. KC people from the KS side are more Kansas than KC. Their pride is KS, not KC. In StL, even IL people are more StL than IL. Suburban MO is not pro MO but just ehh, whatever.

I swear everybody within 50-70 miles of downtown StL is "from StL", they consider themselves StLouisans. It's much different in KC.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:35 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,804,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
In KC, most people are more likely to jump in on a kcmo rip fest than defend it.
Sure you are not talking about yourself? The most relentless negative comments I see on KC on this board is coming from you, Mr. KC Has The Worst Drivers rant for example, which I found amusing because it's hardly true. The most rants and rip fests on this site really do come from you and it's a major downer. I don't understand why you keep coming over here when you don't live in KC anymore. You seem to want to rile people up. You do it constantly over on the rag too and I'm not the only one who notices it.

You must have really had some kind of bad experience here that is more about the experience than the city and you for reason appear to blame KC for whatever the problem is.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Sure you are not talking about yourself? The most relentless negative comments I see on KC on this board is coming from you, Mr. KC Has The Worst Drivers rant for example, which I found amusing because it's hardly true. The most rants and rip fests on this site really do come from you and it's a major downer. I don't understand why you keep coming over here when you don't live in KC anymore. You seem to want to rile people up. You do it constantly over on the rag too and I'm not the only one who notices it.

You must have really had some kind of bad experience here that is more about the experience than the city and you for reason appear to blame KC for whatever the problem is.
huh? I can't say KC has bad drivers? I talk kc up plenty, (do it all the time on city vs city). I'm not extreme one way or the other. I see kc's problems and its positives and in order to fix the bad things, you first have to acknowledge they exist rather than blow them off which you do well.

I don’t even post on this kc forum that much, I’m all over city data talking about all cities, I just have more posts here because I go way back here, even so, who are you to tell me I shouldn’t post here???

And KC rag? Please, I have probably posted there a dozen times in the past year. That site is nothing more than people reposting kc star links anymore or debating college sports. KC hit a development brick wall, so it’s not like there is anything to talk about there and won’t be for a while because companies like AMC are still leaving downtown after six billion was invested there and no new construction is on the horizon unless it’s in the burbs. You can post office stats all you want, but it’s a sad situation and should be discussed rather than ignored.

When I say people have a kcmo ripfest, I’m talking about people ripping on everything in the city that I think are the positives. You would be amazed at how many people think union station, liberty memorial, zoo, downtown, plaza suck or are money pits or crime ridden etc. The things I rip on are the real negatives (state line poaching, lack of transit etc).

Old 10-20-2011, 08:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I have to say that I really don't ever regularly hear people who live here in KC bashing the city. Maybe it's the crowd I surround myself with, but people are very positive, and people who actually enjoy living here.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:57 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
There's a lot of unhappy people here in my office who say nasty things about KC, but more than that there's a ton of ignorance.

I live one mile from our office. That is not an exaggeration; it's exactly one mile, and when people ask me where I live and I tell them "Volker" they have no idea. I'm serious that not one person ever has, except for my boss because she lives in Volker.

OK, fine KC doesn't focus much on neighborhood names, I can live with that. "Right off 39th Street West just north of here with all the restaurants" -- and 75%+ of the time they still don't know what I'm talking about. Which seems strange to me because the Plaza restaurants are always packed (and are much more expensive on the whole), but whatever, fine.

So finally I say "Right by Ku Med," and then I usually get a "Ohhh, yeah, OK." It's 1 mile and a lot of the people I'm talking about have worked here for years and years.

One of KC's best strips of restaurants, one of its best neighborhoods, and no one knows where it is. That simply would not happen in any of the other places I've ever lived.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if kcmo left this forum, it would probably shrivel up and die. it's already one of the least used forums I've ever seen on City-Data. Go to similarly sized cities and they have a much better community of posters.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:30 AM

Tried to rep you again, have been trying now for some time becasue I agree with you so often, so I guess I need to rep some others first haha.

But thanks for the support and backup. I tell it like it is, the good and bad. We are adults here.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:01 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I have to say that I really don't ever regularly hear people who live here in KC bashing the city. Maybe it's the crowd I surround myself with, but people are very positive, and people who actually enjoy living here.

Agreed. I dont ever hear anyone really ripping the city at all. People either have nice things to say or they are completely indifferent.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:04 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
We do bash the KCMO school district, however, and rightfully so.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:00 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,162,417 times
Quote:
I totally agree with this, and I don't think it's fake. St. Louisans do have a strong sense of allegiance to their city, are very passionate about their hometown, and are very biased. The sun, the moon, and the stars rise and shine on St. Louis.
It's called overcompensation. Like when a 20-something virgin brags constantly about his wild sexual exploits.

KC is a big small city that punches well above its weight. It has a remarkable amount of culture, style and ammenities relative to other cities in the 2 million range (Cincy, Cleveland, San Antonio, Columbus, Charlotte, Indy) really the only one that blows it away is Portland.

StL is a small big city that underperforms relative to many of its peers like Minneapolis, Denver, Seattle, San Diego, and Denver.

The fact that the two are so comparable in terms of day-to-day lifestyle is a nod to KC and a strike against StL. The fact the StLians have to so vehemently puff up their chests every time someone suggests KC is a peer of theirs tells you all you need to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City