U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 11:10 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times

Advertisements

downtown kc is okay, seventh in the country? I'm not so sure. That list of cities is odd and the fact that they include the plaza is wierd.

But it's great pub for kc and kc's downtown has probably had the most dramatic transformation in the entire country over the past decade. That alone is worthy of the publicity even if it may not be the 7th best. In 1990, it wouldn't have cracked the top 100.

Last edited by kcmo; 10-19-2011 at 11:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 11:19 AM

210 posts, read 348,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
How is it not? The Loop is far more walkable than more modern downtowns given that the streets are very narrow as downtown existed before cars did. Grand St is the only wide street in the Loop that isn't exactly ped friendly.

One way streets are also considered ped friendly, not car friendly, which downtown has quite a few of. So it's odd to say that downtown caters to cars over pedestrians - at least the Loop.
Well for one, the density in many areas outside the CBD is pretty low. The Crossroads, while I love it, is populated with empty lots, surface parking lots, empty buildings. Not exactly enticing for pedestrians. It can still be hazardous to cross the street in many areas, even in the CBD. You have to manually press the "walk button" to cross, which is not required in most vibrant downtowns (it automatically goes to "walk" when the appropriate street turns red)

Its better than say 119th and Metcalf, but compared to a lot of other downtowns, I wouldn't say I'd prefer strolling through ours over theirs.

I'm not trying to diss our downtown either, kcmo is right, we've made a lot of strides and on nights when there's a lot going on in the CBD, its an absolutely fantastic place to be.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:25 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,505,000 times
What a joke! I agree that Chicago and Portland have great downtowns, but Indy and KC are on the list an not Denver? I guess Forbes hasn't been to Denver.

Not that KC hasn't come a long way, but Indy? I was there recently and it reminded me of downtown KC prior to the Crossroads/PAC/P&L district.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:53 PM

345 posts, read 692,212 times
Downtown KC is getting back in there. But many great cities were left out (Denver, Minneapolis, SF). But it is awesome that we are getting notoriety. Its not like it some small survey, its Forbes! Good for KC, we have come a long way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City