U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 03:33 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Of course, the actual data says something else entirely:

10 Cities With the Best and Worst Drivers - US News and World Report
You are not seeing the entire study. While I would agree that on average, people in this area file more accident claims, I don't see it happening on the big beltways and freeways. It's probably more from minor rear ends and bang up jobs that occur while driving the city streets, all the street parking etc. My car has taken a few hits already from just being in such a harsh urban environment. More door dings and bumper scratches in 2 years then in ten years in KC. But as far as driving on the big roads, no way do they have more crashes than KC. I also don't see near as many nasty fatal crashes here I did in kc, but I don't know if that is true or not. Most stretches of the beltway carry 200-300k cars a day. The busiest highways in KC barely hit 100k and from eight years of driving to downtown from suburban kc vs 2 years of driving a similar distance here, my experience says that DC's highways with 3-4 times the traffic volumes gets far less crashes than a similar stretch of interstate in KC with 1/4 the traffic, but yea, the wide open city streets produce very few crashes compared to this area. I could be wrong I guess, but that's my perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 08:43 PM

48,893 posts, read 39,381,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Are you talking STL or KC? You recommend STL but mention KC pluses... and neither have pro basketball. KC has nfl, mlb, mls and racetrack. KC is much much stronger than STL in the arts in my opinion. STL is stronger with mass transit and has more older hoods and that's about it. Neither downtowns are what I'd call high energy but both have significantly improved and are about equal in terms of activity. The downtowns tend to only be active during events. KC's Plaza is probably highest energy for day to day pedestrian activity.
Yeah, my bad when I wrote basketball and meant football. Lysdexia.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
It takes my co-worker an hour to get back to Blue Springs after work everyday (construction has made it a ton worse, but she says it's always been bad). For two dreadful weeks we had to commute up 35 when we were still living in Sotu JoCo w the SO's folks and it was always stop and go traffic both ways.

Traffic is much easier than other places, yes, but there's still plenty of it, don't doubt that.
Yeah but that's an exceptionally bad commute.

Like anything you could choose to live in Lawrence and work in liberty.

I have a nice 10-15minute commute depending on when I try to get to work.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
That's because studies have shown that slow drivers cause almost all accidents on the highway and one of the biggest problems we have here is people driving under the speed limit in the left lane. I have only heard of one incident where a police officer has given an illegal lane usage ticket when that is the ticket that should be given out most often. A slow driver on the highway is the most dangerous person the road - that's a fact.
Couple that with a cell phone and I agree.

I was northbound on 69south around 135th a few weeks ago. Saturday AM, not many cars on the road.

Woman on cell phone in SUV parked in the fast lane going 60mph in a 65mph.
I didn't tailgate, I just hung behind her for a bit then changed lanes and proceeded to pass her on the left WATCHING HER LIKE A HAWK.

Sure enough, as I got up to even with her rear bumper she decided to go for a lane change but I was ready for her and thankfully was driving my sportscar which has incredibly good brakes.

I layed on the horn and watched as she massively overcorrected, swerved all over the highway and came close to rolling her vehicle.

It's amature hour around here 24-7

Old 10-24-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSL-NE View Post
Wow! I am from Omaha and just spent 9 days in Kansas City visiting some friends of mine who have lived there many years.
I was expecting it to be bigger than Omaha; I guess it was.
I was expecting it to be busier than Omaha; it wasn't.
I was expecting a more vibrant downtown; there wasn't.
I was hoping for more interesting, non-chain restaurants; quite the opposite.
Kansas City felt like it was half the size of Omaha. There were less people driving, less people walking, slower drivers, less activity in general. I for one like this quite a lot, but it was just not at all what I was expecting. I thought maybe it was an odd week or something, but my friends didn't think it was any different than usual when we were out. Came home and looked up the population, to find that Kansas City is about twice the size of Omaha! I could not have been more surprised. KC is beautiful and has a very nice skyline.
Depends where you were around the city.

From your description I'm guessing you were nested more in the south burbs? Definitely more cookie cutter there.

If you want to check out some non-chain places next time....Jackstack, Korma Sutra leap immediately to mind.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:25 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
I, too, am wondering where you were that you only saw chain restaurants, although I have my suspicions. Other than that, can't really speak to the Omaha comparison thing, as I've never been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or