U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 01:25 PM

37 posts, read 116,017 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I would like to get a sense of how the commutes are in Kansas City. My job would be located off of 8900 Ward Parkway. Would living in downtown be more than a 20 minute commute?

If so I have looked on-line at apartments in Leawood and Overpark. Are these safe areas with a short commute to that job location? I am really big on not having a long commute ( relocating from DC area). I would like to make sure the area is safe and their is bus route nearby.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 01:35 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,204,220 times
Downtown would stretch your 20-minute max commute, but not by too much. Instead I'd suggest looking at the Plaza/Midtown area -- include neighborhoods like Volker (near KU Med) and West Plaza. That'll give you the best access to public transit.

What's your budget like and what are you hoping to get for it?

Old 10-27-2011, 01:46 PM

I would like for my rent to remain under $1,100. Two places I have seen online have been great prices right at $1,100. One is in the RiverMarket/Columbus Park area off of Cherry Street and the other is in the Strawberry Hill area off of north 6th street. How are these commutes?

Thanks for your suggestions. I will look there as well.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:54 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,998,573 times
Rivermarket/Columbus is a great area but might be longer then 20 minutes.

I would also consider the Founders at Union Hill, it's in the 700-1000 range and they are newer apartments. Walking distance to Martini Corner
Leasing in Union Hill

Country Club plaza is a nice vibrant area with plenty of shops/restaurants and would be about a 15 minute commute

Old 10-27-2011, 01:58 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
Just remember, 20 minutes in KC is not the same as 20 minutes in DC. Trust me, I commute to DC now. You would probably actually enjoy the drive from downtown to south waldo even if it did take 20-30 minutes. I lived at 89 and Ward Parkway for five years and commuted TO downtown WITH traffic and it rarely took more more than 25 minutes, usually under 20. Just don't speed on Ward Parkway or Southwest Trafficway or at least watch for the bike cops.

Seriously, I wouldn't worry too much about the commute.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:18 PM

Great info. So I'm thinking that if commuting from downtown is not a big issue. Is the River Market/Columbus Park area safe. I did a street view of 500 block of Cherry Street and it did not look like much was around it but old businesses and homes.

After the commute, safety is a big priority as well.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:20 PM

889 posts, read 1,427,701 times
Leawood and Overland Park are very safe, and close, but lack bus routes. If living with reasonable public transportation is important, you'll need to stick with Kansas City, Missouri.

Driving from downtown KCMO to 8900 Ward Parkway is a surface street commute of about 20-25 minutes. It's like an hour glass commute, with the bottleneck generally in the middle (Westport and Plaza) where the streets narrow and curve. Alternately, if you lived in the River Market, I suppose you could hop onto I-70 briefly, take U.S. 71 south, exit on 85th St. and drive west to Ward Parkway and south to the office.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:28 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,998,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanity01 View Post
Great info. So I'm thinking that if commuting from downtown is not a big issue. Is the River Market/Columbus Park area safe. I did a street view of 500 block of Cherry Street and it did not look like much was around it but old businesses and homes.

After the commute, safety is a big priority as well.
It's pretty safe, i would say the only thing you might have to deal with around there might be a couple homeless people. Ideally, i would rather be between Delaware and Grand if I was living in the River Market.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:30 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,204,220 times
Make sure you check Craiglist. Most of the big complexes that you'll find on ApartmentFinder.com and the like are overpriced.

The River Market is safe, Columbus Park is less so, but still generally safe. More boring if anything.

There's no reason you'd want to live in Strawberry Hill -- it's actually one of the nicer neighborhoods in Kansas City, Kansas, but given where you're working it really wouldn't make much sense. And paying $1,100 over there is laughable.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:45 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
If you are looking at downtown/kck/overland park etc, you are obviously open to just about anything so if you don't have to be or want to be in an urban walkable area, you might check out Willow Creek

Willow Creek Apartments, 201 West 99th Terrace Kansas City, MO - Apartments for Rent on ApartmentGuide.com | Kansas City Missouri | 6023

I lived there for a couple of years and really liked it. That was a long time ago, but I have heard it's still nice and that would put you less than five minutes from 8900 Ward Pkwy and still very close to both the central city for entertainment/nightlife and johnson county for suburban shopping/dinning etc.

I liked it because it was secure, yet right between the city and some nice burbs and right off the 435 beltway yet it's in a secluded area. It's also more adultish and quiet than many apartment complexes. Again, this is a long time ago, but the place looks better now than it did back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City