U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 07:18 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,207,945 times

Advertisements

A: There's a ton of houses in Brookside with two-car garages
B: Most have basement storage

C: I personally have about zero concern about safety in the area. Common precautions should be taken, as with any urban area -- locking your car doors would be a clear and obvious first start...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 09:47 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,998,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I personally have about zero concern about safety in the area. Common precautions should be taken, as with any urban area -- locking your car doors would be a clear and obvious first start...
These kinds of problems happen everywhere, my friend had his car stolen in Mission, my co-workers have gotten cars broken into out in Grain Valley and Blue Springs, I know people who get there car broken into in some apartments in Southern JoCo.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:14 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,197,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
These kinds of problems happen everywhere, my friend had his car stolen in Mission, my co-workers have gotten cars broken into out in Grain Valley and Blue Springs, I know people who get there car broken into in some apartments in Southern JoCo.
While I do love urban areas and am in the city just about daily, this is one excuse folks make that just isn't that realistic. Yes, crimes can and do occur everywhere, but they certainly happen with much greater frequency in certain areas.

While Brookside is a very solid upper-middle class, highly-educated (something like 95% with a bachelor's) neighborhood, it's close proximity to some of the worst areas in town and within a 250-mile radius is going to up the crime frequency. Brookside is a wealthy neighborhood whose residents have valuable property to be stolen and their neighborhood is right across the street from those who want to take it. Supply and demand.

People aren't stupid and there's a reason why far-flung areas are experiencing so much development. It's perfectly sane.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:47 PM

15 posts, read 56,048 times
There's some excellent advice in this thread,I really appreciate it. I liked the honest review of Brookside- we're urban/suburban now and used to loud noises and some crime.

Does anyone have any opinions on Hyde Park (38th and Main-ish)? I've seen some excellent houses there, but I'm not sure what the neighborhoods are like in person.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:52 AM

I live in Hyde Park, near 34th and Main (Baltimore to be exact), my block is excellent, we have great neighbors (We actually have neighbor parties), there are a lot of kids with professional families and it's really quiet, the key, I believe is that there isn't a Gas Station, Liquor Store or Large/Crappy Apartments in our immediate area. 38th and Main is a little different because you have Liquor Stores, Smoke Shops, Gas Stations, Plasma Center, Low Income Apartments and other things that attract bad people. This area might be great and has huge potential in 5-10 years.

A Developer has plans to build some new commercial and apartments at 39th and Central which is 3 blocks from Main.

I would Avoid Certain Areas of Hyde Park if i were you, like from Armour to 39th Between Warwick and Broadway. Hyde Park is Beautiful from about Gilham to Harrison from about 36th to 41st Street, it's very quiet and great neighbors, the Mayor lives in this area. I would also look in the Coleman Highlands/Roanoake and Volker area which is from State Line to SW Trafficway from 31st to 43rd Street

This house is for sale on my block, we have had 2 others for sale on our block and they both sold fairly fast. Your Neighbor would be an empty lot on one side and a young family with 2 kids on the other side.

3340 Baltimore Ave Kansas City MO - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #1745522 - Realtor.com®

Old 11-21-2011, 09:50 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,207,945 times
Hyde Park is generally safe and the homes are beautiful, but the neighborhood lacks any sort of real walkability -- especially in comparison to Brookside and Roanoke.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:50 PM

33 posts, read 66,164 times
I totally agree with kcmama. We live in Brookside, and yes, the neighborhood is great as far as great houses, feeling of community, walkable, great shops, etc. But, I have been questioning if I really want to stay in this area. There have been so many crimes in the last few months. There were two shootings (resulting in murders) within one week on Troost, which is less than a mile away from my house. In fact, on one of the murders I heard the gunshots. I know three people in the neighborhood who have gotten broken into and electronics stolen. There was something in the news a couple of weeks ago saying someone got broken into in the middle of the night at gun point somewhere around 63rd street. My husband's tailgate on his new pick up truck got stolen in the first month of living here. This also happened to a friend of ours here in Brookside last year. I could go on and on, and we have only lived in this area for a year and a half. It's quite concerning to me, especially since I have kids.

I get so tired of people saying that crime happens everywhere. I get that. It does, but not near the frequency. I have lived in Kansas City for 15 years (not in the Brookside area) and have never experienced this much crime in this close of proximity. It just surprises me that more people here in Brookside aren't bothered by this or that they aren't moving because of the crime.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:29 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,783 times
For some people, Troost may as well be a world away from Brookside. For others, it's 'within a mile' so is uncomfrotable. If you don't feel personally threatened, does it matter? Those who are used to city living realize one block can be a different world. Those who come from the burbs and move into the city still think in terms of miles as their hood.

Same can be said about NYC or Chicago hoods. A friend lives in Park Slope Brooklyn (a few notches above Brookside) yet is 'just' a mile from Flatbush, which is essentially another world and he does't even think of it as part of his hood.

City scale is very different from suburban scale.

Last edited by xenokc; 11-22-2011 at 08:40 PM..

Old 11-22-2011, 08:48 PM

Wow, i had no clue about all these break-ins around Brookside, I hear Prairie Village is seeing an increase in break-ins as well.

It's weird to think some of the best real estate in the entire metro is less then 2-3 miles from some of the worst real estate in the metro. Parts of Mission Hills are less then 2 miles from Troost.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:44 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,848,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Brookside did have good schools. Border Star was one of the best grammar schools in the region. Southwest and Paseo High Schools were nationally known. Calvin Trillin has written (in the New Yorker and elsewhere) about his youth in KC and about the remarkable education he received at Southwest.

Growing up in the 1970s, students started to come to my district (SM-East) from the schools just on the other side of State Line. This was during the period when Missouri residents could pay tuition to attend Kansas schools.

The history of Paseo High School, in particular, is heart-rending. You will occasionally see an old bumper sticker dating from the legendary fight to save it.

Kansas City was known for its public schools and their collapse and the decades-long legal sideshow are IMO emblematic of the national urban condition from 1965-1995. Only Detroit saw a more stunning fall.
Missouri residents could pay to attend KS public schools clear back in the 1930's and '40's. I had an aunt that attended Prairie Elementary back then because it was physically the closest grade school to my grandparents home on the Missouri side.

Paseo was a gem when it first opened. What it became was a d*mned shame.

OP, the condition of the KCMO school district is partly due to urban decay, as has been previously indicated, but also decades of politically driven city councils and school boards where what was best for the city and the district were of seconday importance to the people serving in those positions to profit from their positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Wow, i had no clue about all these break-ins around Brookside, I hear Prairie Village is seeing an increase in break-ins as well.

It's weird to think some of the best real estate in the entire metro is less then 2-3 miles from some of the worst real estate in the metro. Parts of Mission Hills are less then 2 miles from Troost.
Break-ins are right now more a reflection of the economy and the boldness of the criminals than of the neighborhoods themselves. I would hope that good people would continue to occupy Brookside and surrounds rather than fleeing to the suburbs, again. The '70s were none to kind to Brookside, Armour Hills, Rockhill, Ward Park, etc..., no reason to go down that road and make those areas take another 15-20 years to recover all over again as happened before.The people who occupy the neighborhoods can make all the difference by being more proactive in their neighborhoods, with the upkeep of their properties, with home lighting, locks, etc... .

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 11-23-2011 at 04:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or