U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 12:34 AM

30 posts, read 33,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
A: There's a ton of houses in Brookside with two-car garages

B: Most have basement storage

C: I personally have about zero concern about safety in the area. Common precautions should be taken, as with any urban area -- locking your car doors would be a clear and obvious first start...
A. hmmm...maybe I'm wrong, but I honestly don't recall seeing many, and it's a common complaint among my Brookside Loyalist friends.

B. Most have basements, but not usually storage. Many of the BS homes I know converted their basement storage to a home office or 3rd or 4th bedroom.

C. Do you have children? The OP mentioned that they want their oldest to be able to go outside and play. When you wake up to gunshots on a regular basis, you probably won't take your eye off your child for a split second while they are outside.

OP, the truth is that KC is a VERY car-dependent city. I really wish it wasn't, but it is. I lived in DC for awhile, so I am aware of the stark contrast that you are in for. Aside from (parts of) the few neighborhoods that have been brought up, you will have a hard time finding a truly walkable neighborhood. The city is designed for cars, not pedestrians. Our public transit is practically non existent. The BIG up-side to all this is that we have the most awesome highway system in the country! After living in DC, you will think our idea of "rush hour traffic" is just laughable. If your office is, say, 20 miles from your house, it will likely take you 20-25 minutes to get to work.

If you do consider Brookside, just make sure you find a private school that you are really comfortable with before buying a house. Maybe check out CS-1. It's a very tiny community school, but I've heard good things about it.

Good luck with your search. You and your family will love KC! It's a great place to raise kids!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 01:06 AM

Check out Lee's summit. Here's a thread that has some great pics of the downtown.

Lee's Summit, MO

Old 12-05-2011, 08:25 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,216,465 times
In 63113, between $200,000 and $450,000, the first 10 properties on Realtor.com when sorted by the number of photos, there are 3 1-car garages, 6 2-car garages and 1 3-car garage. If a 2-car garage is important to you, it's not at all difficult to find a home with one.

I can't argue with someone's perception of crime, but statistics show that Brookside is wildly safe by essentially any urban standard and obviously many many families agree. I am glad you are happy where you are now.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:46 AM

30 posts, read 59,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmama View Post

C. Do you have children? The OP mentioned that they want their oldest to be able to go outside and play. When you wake up to gunshots on a regular basis, you probably won't take your eye off your child for a split second while they are outside.
Are you suggesting that people in brookside wake up to gunshots on a regular basis? That seems to be the implication, and if so it sounds pretty bombastic. As someone who lives closer to rockhurst than brookside, I can personally say I've never woken to, or even heard gunshots.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:59 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,111,236 times
It's overstated. I know about a dozen people in Brookside, about half with families and none have mentioned shootings in Bside. Maybe if you live to E of Bside near Troost, but that's essentially another world in terms of urban scale.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:40 PM

Default Not much showing on the maps

Much as I'd love to swap anecdotes with folks all day the city does have some useful stats :P

From Crime Stats they link to a map, and while claiming no endorsement of it it does seem to be functional. No assaults w/ a deadly weapon showing around brookside there. Also on the KCPD site they have a quarterly report at http://www.kcmo.org/idc/groups/polic...y_1stq2011.pdf and page 12 of the report has a useful map for the metro division showing the five homicides from the past quarter and they're all east of the paseo. There are a number of aggravated assault incidents, but they look pretty far away, and pretty clustered too.

Anyone interested in comparing to another area? I'm actually pretty curious how the perception compares to the data. My guess says there are fewer incidents in Lee's summit, but not in an appreciable way. Say, 75 aggravated assaults.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:02 PM

Default 2010 Numbers

So, to answer my own question here is a rough comparison:

Kansas City, MO has 459,787 according to the 2010 Census
Lee's Summit has 91,364

According to the Lee's Summit 2010 police report from http://www.kcmo.org/idc/groups/polic...nualreport.pdf there were 2,232 Part 1 crimes in 2010, which includes Murder, Forcible Rape, Robbery, Aggravated Assault, Burglary, Larceny—Theft, Motor Vehicle Theft, and Arson.

According to the KCMO 2010 police report from http://www.kcmo.org/idc/groups/polic...nualreport.pdf there were 32,539 Part 1 crimes.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:04 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,111,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbobjoe View Post
Much as I'd love to swap anecdotes with folks all day the city does have some useful stats :P

From Crime Stats they link to a map, and while claiming no endorsement of it it does seem to be functional. No assaults w/ a deadly weapon showing around brookside there.
Thanks for clearing up the FUD mongering (fear, uncertainty, doubt) about Brookside. KCMO has major problems on the East Side, which is one of the lowest income areas of the metro, but outside of that the rest of KCMO crime is likely more comparable to most other cities. And in higher income areas like Bside, it's typically not much.

There was a KC Star article a couple years ago that said for most years, well more than half of the shootings in KCMO happen in 5 zipcodes on the E Side, another chunk happens elsewhere in E Side and the rest happens through the rest of city. The article said the 'the rest' of KCMO is comparable to other metro core cities in the middle of crime rankings. Of course KCMO has a suburban component too.

Will have to look closer at the stats you posted.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbobjoe View Post
Are you suggesting that people in brookside wake up to gunshots on a regular basis? That seems to be the implication, and if so it sounds pretty bombastic. As someone who lives closer to rockhurst than brookside, I can personally say I've never woken to, or even heard gunshots.
I'm saying that was my personal experience. I lived at 63rd and Morningside for about 3 years. Several of these incidences came from the 7-11 a few blocks away. I guess 64th and Morningside is not technically Brookside, but definitely in the area that is commonly referred to as "Brookside." During that time, we heard gunshots on 8 nights. Every few months, we would have cops shining their flashlights in our windows while looking for someone. DH left his car unlocked once and had everything stolen. we had gardening supplies stolen from our fenced in yard twice. One of my good friends lives in the heart of Brookside and they have had police chasing criminals through their yard several times. They've had their car broken into 3 times and their garage robbed once. Everyone I know in Brookside has had something stolen at some point. None of them have been murdered or assaulted. But they do not let their kids run around the neighborhood.

I actually don't hate Brookside! In fact, the day we moved away was one of the saddest days of my life! It was months before I could drive through Brookside without getting choked up. But I knew I wanted to live somewhere where my kids could eventually ride their bike around the block, or walk to school or a friends house. This was a priority for me, and it sounds important to the OP so I felt compelled to share my experience.

Brookside is wonderful, but it's not perfect, as some of you want everyone to believe.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:56 PM

33 posts, read 66,205 times
I totally understand and agree with what you are saying, kcmama. I live in Brookside and most of my friends that I hang out with live here as well. Most of them have either had something stolen from them or have had a neighbor have something stolen. And, yes, I guess you could say I am closer to Troost (off of Cherry) but I never even knew what gunshots sounded like before moving here. My husband and I have heard them several times. A few months back my daughter was playing outside with a neighbor friend during the afternoon and my neighbor called me and said there was two teenagers running through nearby yards with a big screen TV that they just stole from someone's house. It just makes me feel a little uneasy even though I adore the area and all that it has to offer. And it does make me consider moving to a safer neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or