U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 08:05 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
The convention centers are roughly the same size but Cincy's is better positioned with it's hotels with relation to the convention center.
Hit the nail on the head. Add in the fact that KC's hotels are dated and the lack of transit and KC just doesn't compete.

I stay in KC hotels. Most are just tired. Suburban Hilton Garden Inns have nicer, more up to date rooms than the Crown Center Hyatt or Downtown Marriott.

KC needs more hotels near the convention center, it needs to upgrade the ones it has and it needs high qualit transit between downtown and the plaza.

Even if KC chooses go go after smaller conventions due to lack of large nearby hotels, it will still have a hard time competing with a city that has a compact walkable downtown (such as Indy) or a city with great downtown transit (such as Denver).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 09:05 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,496,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
When was KC a better convention city than Indy? 70's maybe?
I recently stayed at the new JW Marriott in Indy... very high end and nice! Still smells new. And there were multiple other hotels I saw in the same area.

When was the last hotel built in KC? Denver built a Hyatt about 5 years ago near the convention center, and last year the Four Seasons and an Embassy Suites, both within walking distance of the CC, opened. I guess I never really thought about it, but Denver does have a decent amount of newer hotels downtown.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:58 PM

3,008 posts, read 4,165,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I recently stayed at the new JW Marriott in Indy... very high end and nice! Still smells new. And there were multiple other hotels I saw in the same area.

When was the last hotel built in KC? Denver built a Hyatt about 5 years ago near the convention center, and last year the Four Seasons and an Embassy Suites, both within walking distance of the CC, opened. I guess I never really thought about it, but Denver does have a decent amount of newer hotels downtown.
A lot of hotels around the ICC, approx. 5000 hotel rooms directly connected to it via skyway so a conventioner never has to go outside if he/she doesn't want to, then can skyway it to Circle Center, hit ground level and hit restaurants. Last two hotels built were the JW and Conrad a few years earlier which prompted all of the others to renovate like Hilton, Hyatt, etc and a new smaller hotel being built right now as part of a new high end housing unit.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:28 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,998,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post

Indy has another great hotel called The Conrad which is the JW Marriot of the Hilton Brand and it's only in a select few cities, interesting that indy is one of them

KC needs some kind of nice hotel, the hotels near the convention center are so outdated. It would be great to see a nice Omni or Grand Hyatt go in near the Convention Center

Old 11-02-2011, 07:50 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,998,962 times
We just stole a conference from Memphis from 2014 to 2018
KC drums up folk music conference - Kansas City Business Journal

Old 11-02-2011, 10:01 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,496,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Indy has another great hotel called The Conrad which is the JW Marriot of the Hilton Brand and it's only in a select few cities, interesting that indy is one of them

KC needs some kind of nice hotel, the hotels near the convention center are so outdated. It would be great to see a nice Omni or Grand Hyatt go in near the Convention Center
I'm headed back to Indy next month for work, and looking forward to it just for the JW Marriot. My employer has a contract with them, so that's where I stay. But I get to be up on the Exec. level w/access to the Executive lounge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or