U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2011, 07:15 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times

Advertisements

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/02/3244357/kc-may-buy-drag-strip-for-new.html#disqus_thread (broken link)

I kind of think it's long overdue myself so this area of kcmo can begin to be infilled. That drag strip is one reason the Little Blue Valley is not developed and development has leapfrogged over it.

The place is a dump now anyway. I'm not a race fan, but I do remember when KCIR used to hold major drag race events a long time ago. Those days are long gone and the track has become a community track which does bring up the issue of keeping street racing under control by giving people a place to race.

Why not build a new facility near the KS Speedway?

Any thoughts on this? Should KCIR remain open or is it time for the Little Blue Valley to move on and hopefully spark some new interest in this area of kcmo proper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 10:32 AM

15,294 posts, read 7,146,445 times
This makes me think of people that buy houses in western Shawnee and complain about the landfill and want it shut down.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:24 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,195,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
KC may buy drag strip for new park - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/02/3244357/kc-may-buy-drag-strip-for-new.html#disqus_thread - broken link)

I kind of think it's long overdue myself so this area of kcmo can begin to be infilled. That drag strip is one reason the Little Blue Valley is not developed and development has leapfrogged over it.

The place is a dump now anyway. I'm not a race fan, but I do remember when KCIR used to hold major drag race events a long time ago. Those days are long gone and the track has become a community track which does bring up the issue of keeping street racing under control by giving people a place to race.

Why not build a new facility near the KS Speedway?

Any thoughts on this? Should KCIR remain open or is it time for the Little Blue Valley to move on and hopefully spark some new interest in this area of kcmo proper?
Is the KCIR area in the Lee's Summit school district? If not, I don't see any near future development potential in that area.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:19 PM

15,294 posts, read 7,146,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Is the KCIR area in the Lee's Summit school district? If not, I don't see any near future development potential in that area.
A friend of mine lives fairly close to that and their kids go to Raytown schools.

Its sort of a rugged, Ozarkish terrain through there. Just the topopgraphy in itself isn't going to allow anything that dense.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:41 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
Yea, and that area of the Raytown District and from what I have heard, it is fine. They just built a brand new school on Noland Road in that area.

While it will never develop fully due to the topography and flood plains in the area, there are plenty of areas that could be developed there. It could be easily developed into 20-25k residents while maintaining most of the forested area and stay out of flood plains. It could be a really nice area instead of rural Arkansas.

The problem is that KCMO is the city that controls that land. If Raytown or Lee's Summit had that land, I would probably have sewers, Noland Road and Lee's Summit Road would be 4 lanes with curbs and gutters and there would be an east west route through the area such as 63rd connecting Raytown to Lakewood for example.

But instead, It's a forgotten area of KCMO that is totally ignored. There is almost no basic city infrastructure in the area, the drainage is not controlled etc.

Give the land to Lee's Summit. Let them relocate KCIR to Lee's Summit Airport, widen the roads, add sewers and develop some of the land into parks and lake communities and it would develop quickly. Developing that land would help stabilize Raytown too and it would keep at least some sprawl from occurring elsewhere like far eastern Lee's Summit etc.

But that's all a pipe dream I know.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:31 PM

4,227 posts, read 20,280,133 times
First off KCIR should not have been shut down. It should have been left alone. It was there long before any of the surrounding houses were there. However several people that reside in the local area (read: idiots) either built houses in close proximity or moved there LONG after the track had been opened and running, and then had the nerve to complain to city hall on a regular basis about a problem (noise, traffic) they exposed their selves to.

It wasn't until one person who bought a house on a hill overlooking the track, and who had ties to the political field, found she could not sit on her back patio and listen to her birds sing above the echoes of open headers...so she goes out of her way to close the track herself....but when that failed (she did manage to cost the track a lot of money), she joined forces with another neighbor (who also had ties with the political field plus was having trouble selling her nearby land due to the track) who worked hand in hand with city council to seize the land thru eminent domain. The city council conjured up a pack of lies before the mayor (who bought it hook line and sinker without even giving any thought to those in opposition), saying that everyone was in favor of the track being turned into a park, and that no one was in favor of keeping the track open, despite a rash of protesters in the rain, outside city hall.

The land was seized because the owners wanted more for the land than the city was willing to give and the city was fed up with the constant complaints. The only reason the owners were willing to sell is because they were tired of getting beat up about the noise, traffic, etc from people in the immediate area (again who moved in AFTER the track was there). The stipulation was the track owners would get their asking price and then build a new track by the air port. Well that didn't turn out as planned so the owners were on the hunt for a new piece of dirt to relocate, with the stipulation, again of keeping the track open long enough for a new track to be constructed.

Of course at this time another party expressed interest in buying the track. The city, fearing they would lose out on the chance to buy this land, conjured up a threat letter overnight saying if the current owner didn't sell the land to the city, they would condemn it. So the owners had no choice but to sell to KCMO for far less than their asking price.

The funny thing is, there was no "warning" about the sale; it appeared out of left field one morning. Yet the city maintains that it was not a rushed sale, and that the current owners approached the city in Jan 2011....when the current (now former) owners did not buy the land until March 2011....you know how you know when a politician is telling the truth? When his/her lips aren't moving.

And so now, the owners probably do not have enough to even start a new track and therefore now there will be no more KCIR. And as an end result to that, people have lost jobs, the threat of street racing has increased, the risks of accidents and deaths due to street racing have increased, a money making business in a bad economy has been abolished....and a whole bunch of other negative effects I can't even think of. But hey it's ok to ruin the fun for a few people who enjoy auto racing simply because a few (read: idiots) decide to move next to a race track and then complain about the noise.

And the funny thing is...KCMO doesn't have the funds to fix some of the bigger things that need fixed....but they have enough to buy a race track. And as for turning it into a park? Suddenly now the city doesn't have the funds to do this. So the property will lie dormant for the next several years. Which is further proof that city hall simply wanted to shut up the nearby residents (read: idiots) that were not smart enough to have not purchased in a house near a race track. Gee we need Judge Judy to school some of the complaining residents (read: idiots) about the common sense of "looking before you leap".

Oh and one last thing.....even if they do turn the now dormant land into a park, don't think that's going to suddenly up your property's value....in time drug dealers and child rapists will move in to do business. (read: violence) In addition to the numerous street racing events in KC that are putting your life and your families at risk. All because a few residents (read: idiots) decided they couldn't handle the noise when the track was there first. You don't buy a house next to a pig farm and then complain about the smell of ****. You don't buy a house next to a rail road if you can't handle a train or two coming by every day. And you certainly don't buy a house in close proximity to a race track if you can't handle the noise or traffic. And if you fail to research the area you're buying, then it's your own fault, plain and simple.

See now that track wasn't such a bad idea after all.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:07 PM

4,227 posts, read 20,280,133 times
So it's been reported on the Johnny Dare show, now that the track is officially gone (all the building demolished, the strip is gone too) the word is the city wants to sell the land because supposidly the soil is contamined with all the oil, fuel, etc from the cars over the years and the EPA won't let them turn the land into a park until a lot of money is spent fixing all that is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or