U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2011, 07:17 PM

31 posts, read 53,200 times

Advertisements

Ok, so the time has arrived for me to make the move to KC. I will be moving in to Market Station apts. in River Market this upcoming weekend and have a question about transportation.

I am going to try and live in KC for a few months without a car. My office is in Overland Park, but will not have to go to the office very often, as I will be traveling quite a bit to client sites or have the ability to work from home if not traveling (perks of being in consulting). Anyway, I google mapped the bus routes from City Market to OP (Metcalfe and College Blvd) and saw that I would take the 57 bus to the 175 bus. Takes about an hour and a half, but my main concern is safety. I have heard these buses are not the nicest and maybe not the safest. Is that a fair assessment? Or am I off base?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 07:36 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,509,283 times
Who told you that? KC buses are safe and actually they have a pretty nice fleet, although small. Like any city, some routes go into rough areas and you would need to turn up the city smarts a notch, but other than that, you would be fine, especially with the buses running north/south through the river market/plaza corridor. Transit to OP is very poor though. That would be the bigger issue. You also might look into the JO, not sure if they are on google. They have some routes from downtown and plaza to OP as well. Where is your office in OP?

Old 11-06-2011, 07:46 PM

Johnson County Transit - The JO

There you go, depending on where your office is, you can get from Downtown to many parts of OP in 40 minutes to 1 hour via the JO transit. They even have reverse commute service, so you can go out to OP in the morning and return downtown in the afternoon. OP office parks are spread out though, so it would depend on how far from Metcalf you are.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:54 PM

31 posts, read 53,200 times
Hey KCMO, thank you for the info. I guess I have just heard the the buses are kind of run down and can run through bad neighborhoods depending on which line you are on. I've lived in Minneapolis and Chicago, so am no stranger to knowing how to navigate through rough areas.

Didn't know there were so many different transit services. My office is just 2 blocks off Metcalfe by the Marriott, so not far. Thanks again!

Old 11-06-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnhawk05 View Post
Hey KCMO, thank you for the info. I guess I have just heard the the buses are kind of run down and can run through bad neighborhoods depending on which line you are on. I've lived in Minneapolis and Chicago, so am no stranger to knowing how to navigate through rough areas.

Didn't know there were so many different transit services. My office is just 2 blocks off Metcalfe by the Marriott, so not far. Thanks again!
In that case, that JO route would be perfect for you. There is nothing in KC worse than anything in Minneapolis and certainly not Chicago. I wouldn't think twice about most of the bus lines in KC, especially anything you will be using.

The state line screws up KC's transit system. It makes no sense to have it broken up like it is. There is no excuse for it either. Here in DC, the state lines barley matter. Transit runs across them as if they didn't exist.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:39 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,000,435 times
If you asked anyone at your work about which bus to take they are going to give you some general statement about buses and bus safety, 95% of them are clueless about the area you are moving too.

This is the kind of crap you will be dealing with when you meet your new suburbanite minion workers. Below is quoted from another forum - College Blvd/JOCO is the area your new job is at.

Last time I was in KC, I looked for an apartment out in JOCO. What was I thinking? The rental agent gasped when I asked her about things to do in downtown KC. She said "why would you want to go there, we have everything you need here. She was talking College Blvd area. That was a while ago, and I agree with Grid, things have probably gotten a whole bunch worse.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:20 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,222,457 times
The buses are clean, comfortable and very safe. As others have said, I would have no concerns.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:32 AM

Check out these scary looking people riding kc buses!

Old 11-15-2011, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,162 times
I see that KC's buses are very good. My best friend living there and told that going by bus is very convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or