U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 09:26 PM

10,710 posts, read 18,576,195 times

Advertisements

I actually already really like the KC Zoo, it's a great zoo in a great setting. With some actual dedicated funding from over a million residents of Clay and Jackson county, it should quickly become one of the better zoos in the midwest.

Last edited by kcmo; 11-08-2011 at 10:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 09:52 PM

20,235 posts, read 34,603,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I actually already really like the KC Zoo, it's a great zoo in a great setting. With some actual dedicated funding from over a million residents of Clay and Platte county, it should quickly become one of the better zoos in the midwest.
Clay and Platte counties have nowhere close to one million residents.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:14 PM

I was thinking Clay was bigger. But it's still around 900,000. That's much better than the 460,000 of kcmo by itself.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:10 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,275,993 times
I'm very pleased it passed. I think I was one of the 11 people that voted yesterday :P

Old 11-09-2011, 08:39 AM

Details on the plans:

Voters pass historic tax to improve KC Zoo - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/08/3255333/clay-county-passes-zoo-tax-jackson.html - broken link)

Wow on the comments though. I will never get the hate so many have for kcmo and this is not even a kcmo issue, it's a county issue (times two) and a zoo issue. The zoo just happens to be in KCMO. Won't this allow kcmo to stop contributing money from their general fund to the zoo now, allowing them to spend that on other issues? Seems like a winner situation to me.

It would be cool if Platte, Cass, Wyandotte and Johnson joined in. Then they could fund it even more and also build up the Deanna Rose Farmstead into something neat like Grants Farm in StL. OP could also build up the Overland Park Arboretum using the culture tax and all area residents would get discounts. If all joined in, ticket prices would probably become free.

I just don't see why people don't understand the benefits of metro area cooperation. I mean Jackson and Clay residents now get in the zoo for 5 bucks vs $11.50 and will have free days as well. Plus, the zoo will now be much nicer with more attractions. If all counties were a part of it, it would surely be free and the zoo would be even better. And that's for just 1/8cent. Imagine what KC could do with a 1/4 or 1/2 cent culture tax across the metro.

A first class science museum (science city is not first class because it has no funding source), a first class aquarium (crown center's will be ok, but very small and expensive, far from a major 1st class aquarium), a regional history museum at union station (why doesn't kc have such a place, so much history there in both ks and mo) and more all free to everybody.

Last edited by kcmo; 11-09-2011 at 09:14 AM..

Old 11-09-2011, 09:45 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,275,993 times
^You should know better than to ever read the comments on that stuff. Makes my brain bleed, lol. But sadly, I was momentarily pulled in and was rewarded with this incredible gem:

Quote:
And forget about getting JoCo and WyCo to jump in on this fleecing, I mean tax. No thank you. Still reeling form the 1/4 cent permanent tax they hit us with for "Public Safety"

Old 11-09-2011, 12:04 PM

I know aragx6. I won't read any more, it will only get worse. That turkeysub guy is a real prick on there though, he's giving all of joco a pretty bad rap.

Looks like kcmo will still contribute 3 million a year.

Happy feet at the zoo; sales tax passes in two counties - Independence, MO - The Examiner

So as usual, most kcmo residents will get double taxed and they seem fine with it since they passed it by 70% in the city limits. KCMO residents should be thanked for their constant and continued support of regional attractions rather than constantly being slammed and talked down to. That is one thing that really bugs me about kc.

And wow to eastern jackson county. 64% in favor of a tax increase in this economy for something they may not use and could be more than 20 miles away? I think that says a lot. Clay just barely passed it so it probably would not have passed in Platte or Cass anyway. Come on kc, get on the same page.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:17 PM

266 posts, read 475,219 times
Hmm.... schools unaccredited, crime through the roof (especially in the area we're talking about), roads crumbling, so what's our first priority to tackle right now.... Oh I know, let's expand the zoo!

Old 11-09-2011, 10:13 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,158,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Details on the plans:

Voters pass historic tax to improve KC Zoo - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/08/3255333/clay-county-passes-zoo-tax-jackson.html - broken link)

Wow on the comments though. I will never get the hate so many have for kcmo and this is not even a kcmo issue, it's a county issue (times two) and a zoo issue. The zoo just happens to be in KCMO. Won't this allow kcmo to stop contributing money from their general fund to the zoo now, allowing them to spend that on other issues? Seems like a winner situation to me.

It would be cool if Platte, Cass, Wyandotte and Johnson joined in. Then they could fund it even more and also build up the Deanna Rose Farmstead into something neat like Grants Farm in StL. OP could also build up the Overland Park Arboretum using the culture tax and all area residents would get discounts. If all joined in, ticket prices would probably become free.

I just don't see why people don't understand the benefits of metro area cooperation. I mean Jackson and Clay residents now get in the zoo for 5 bucks vs $11.50 and will have free days as well. Plus, the zoo will now be much nicer with more attractions. If all counties were a part of it, it would surely be free and the zoo would be even better. And that's for just 1/8cent. Imagine what KC could do with a 1/4 or 1/2 cent culture tax across the metro.

A first class science museum (science city is not first class because it has no funding source), a first class aquarium (crown center's will be ok, but very small and expensive, far from a major 1st class aquarium), a regional history museum at union station (why doesn't kc have such a place, so much history there in both ks and mo) and more all free to everybody.
Do yourself a favor and read the Post Dispatch comments about the new Science Center president. That kind of anonymous, internet lunacy isn't unique to the Star or Kansas City.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Do yourself a favor and read the Post Dispatch comments about the new Science Center president. That kind of anonymous, internet lunacy isn't unique to the Star or Kansas City.
And that justifies it how?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or