U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 11:26 AM

3 posts, read 2,558 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to KC from Hays, KS when he starts chemo treatments at KU MED. Can anyone tell me what areas would be good to look in for apartments or duplexes? We are in our 50's and would have Grand kids visit regularly and want somewhere safe and peaceful. We have only been in the area of the hospital but we figure rather than commute, We might as well just move there, even if it's a little farther than KU Med....Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 11:56 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,216,465 times
Depending on your budget, I would look for something in Volker/West Plaza area -- you should be able to find a little house or duplex fairly easily. Otherwise, there's a lot of smaller apartment buildings in West Plaza. Essentially the whole area south of 39th and close to State Line Rd. is safe and would put you extremely close to KU Med. I live in the general area (I walk to my dr's appointments on KU Med's campus), so please feel free to ask follow-up questions.

Additionally, any of the inner-ring suburbs just across the state line like Westwood, Fairway, Roeland Park and Mission would be good options for small homes (there's fewer apartments).

And if you share your budget, I can look around for some good options for you.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:54 AM

29,988 posts, read 35,862,752 times
Be certain to check Prairie Village, specifically the Corinth area (79th to 83rd & Mission Rd to Roe Blvd.) There are some apartments, duplexes and condos/patio homes in the area. Nice parks and sidewalks for your grandkids, public library, very "safe" feeling to the neighborhood. Good shopping, grocery, pharmacies, and resturants nearby. An easy drive up to KU Med.

On a side note:
I don't know if the KS-side ambulance services offer a "membership" but it may be worth looking into. If your husband has to use an ambulance such memberships pay for themselves on the first use. I know my family members had to use one more than once following chemo (dehydration).

Old 11-25-2011, 10:50 AM

[quote=aragx6;21644417]depending on your budget, i would look for something in volker/west plaza area -- you should be able to find a little house or duplex fairly easily. Otherwise, there's a lot of smaller apartment buildings in west plaza. Essentially the whole area south of 39th and close to state line rd. Is safe and would put you extremely close to ku med. I live in the general area (i walk to my dr's appointments on ku med's campus), so please feel free to ask follow-up questions.

Additionally, any of the inner-ring suburbs just across the state line like westwood, fairway, roeland park and mission would be good options for small homes (there's fewer apartments).

And if you share your budget, i can look around for some good options for you.[/quote

Thanks for responding...WE are thinking of renting for around $700 a month or less.....

Old 11-25-2011, 10:51 AM

Thanks for responding...WE are thinking of renting for around $700 a month or less.....

Old 11-27-2011, 09:49 AM

96 posts, read 183,669 times
Try Olathe. Lots of shopping, safe area, lower rent. Or Lee's Summit. Still safe. No area of Kansas City is crime proof. Crime is horrible here but the price range you are looking for will take you to places such as Olathe and Lee's Summit. Avoid Grandview, Raytown, Independence, Ruskin Heights, Metro KC, and areas like those. Rent is lower and some cute neighborhoods mixed in but it's like a wolf in sheeps clothing. I'm sorry you are going through this, my thoughts are with you and yours. Blessings.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:59 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,216,465 times
It would be crazy to look all the way in Olathe if you'll be here for treatments. That's be at least a 40 minute drive.

Also what does "metro KC" mean? You do know that would include liuterally everything, including Olathe, that you posted, right?

At $700, you should be able to get into a nice apartment or little house in one of the neighborhoods or inner ring suburbs surrounding the state line. Safe, quiet, reasonably priced and easily accessible to ku med.

A couple examples from a quick Craigslist search:
KUMED/WESTPORT VERY NICE 2br DUPLEX (http://kansascity.craigslist.org/apa/2672127030.html - broken link)
KU Med/Volker Area Apartment (http://kansascity.craigslist.org/apa/2691531011.html - broken link)
GREAT DUPLEX IN WALKING DISTANCE TO KU MED CTR & 39th ST. SHOPS (http://kansascity.craigslist.org/apa/2720276440.html - broken link)
Apartment for Rent (http://kansascity.craigslist.org/apa/2715351790.html - broken link)
AVAILABLE IN DECEMBER CHARMING VOLKER APT ON VALENTINE (http://kansascity.craigslist.org/apa/2717272661.html - broken link)

Best of luck, and be sure to ask any follow-up questions you might have!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City