Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 01:16 PM

7 posts, read 12,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I would check KBI for the sexual offenders list before choosing a home (KBI - Kansas Bureau of Investigation - KBI Registered Offender Website Disclaimer). Also, look at the cost of insurance - all types, the cost of taxes especially personal property tax on your vehicles and what else you have that may qualify. The cost of taxes and insurance can be a real shocker and prepare for culture shock! Keep in mind that you will be driving on ice and snow when looking at your commute. All of this stuff really starts to count. We know, we have lived a few places and there is no place like home!
Thanks again for all the input guys!!! As far as the sexual offenders...I do take that into consideration..of course.

The culture shock...nah...no culture shock here....We're originally from small towns in Illinois. He's northern Illinois and I'm from southern ....VERY country...VERY rural. We too have lived all over...I've been in Indiana, Ohio, Texas, California, Illinois (all parts of that state) just to name a few. He's been to Arkansas, Tennessee, Indiana, just to name a few for him too.

As far as the weather ...again not worried there either ...learned to drive in the snow, ice, etc

I'm really not worried about the difference in "way of life" ...I'm looking forward to getting back up north where "HOME" is really home

Keep the comments coming guys...I appreciate them all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 05:40 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Why would you have culture shock living in the KC area? It's a large metro of over 2 million people and if you are used to small towns and rural living, then KC is pretty big, if not intimidating to a lot of people.

If you are from another large metro, the only part of KC that would really be a culture shock is Wyandotte County. It's urban and country at the same time and it's quite bizarre.

The rural counties around KC are what you would expect from rural areas, so no culture shock there. But KCK is just not what you would expect from a primary county of a major metro area. But if you are fond of rural, country living, then KCK might just be a blessing. It's populated, but has a lot of rural traits.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,875 times
Congrats on your relocation to Kansas City! I think for the what you are looking for as far as rural and the price point you are looking to spend in rent Bonner Springs or Edwardsville would be a good fit. Good highway access. Super quick access to tons of shopping, movies, resturants etc. Schools are not the top in the metro but they are not bad. If you want to get into the top the schools the rent will go way up. Best of luck!

Old 09-28-2017, 01:09 PM

105 posts, read 107,615 times
Did you enjoy the outside or inside of Leavenworth?

Old 09-28-2017, 04:45 PM

20,861 posts, read 9,524,822 times
This thread was 6 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City