U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 12:59 PM

7 posts, read 10,860 times

Advertisements

Hello There!

My family will be relocating for my husbands job in area code 66111 (Kansas City, KS) We have 2 girls middle school and high school aged. 2 small dogs (Pomeranians) We are basically looking for a rural, SAFE, CHEAP, good schools, NON conservative area to move to that would be no more than about 30 minutes from his job but still close to a city somewhat.

I say rural because we like our privacy and want the ability to garden or keep livestock if we want. I also want to be somewhat close to a city for the stores/entertainment/etc that usually is lacking in a small rural area. (After all we have been city folks for quite a few years now)

Safety- I don't think I have to go into why I want this since I have 2 girls. You guys can figure that out no?

CHEAP- Looking to spend at max about $700-750 for rent for a 2-3 bedroom house/manufactured/mobile home that ALLOWS PETS.

Good schools- Again I don't think I'd have to go into that to much...but I'm curious as to the extracurricular classes you have up there. My high school aged daughter is going into the fine/visual arts field and I'm wondering if the schools there will cater to this? (Not to sound ignorant but is it all agriculture based studies? As this won't do her ANY good in classes for college)

Non Conservative - Piercings/tattoos/colored hair (think purple/blue/etc) We are normal people who just may look a little different from the majority of people up there...and I understand how small town mentality can work.

As far as work, I'll be either working from our house or looking for work once we get up there. That brings another thing to mind too ....internet services in the rural areas...A MUST HAVE please! Dial-up need not apply! Is all this asking for to much in Kansas?

Thanks for all your info and answers in advance!
MickeyMouseH3LL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 04:41 PM

48,931 posts, read 39,420,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMouseH3LL View Post
Hello There!

My family will be relocating for my husbands job in area code 66111 (Kansas City, KS) We have 2 girls middle school and high school aged. 2 small dogs (Pomeranians) We are basically looking for a rural, SAFE, CHEAP, good schools, NON conservative area to move to that would be no more than about 30 minutes from his job but still close to a city somewhat.

I say rural because we like our privacy and want the ability to garden or keep livestock if we want. I also want to be somewhat close to a city for the stores/entertainment/etc that usually is lacking in a small rural area. (After all we have been city folks for quite a few years now)

Safety- I don't think I have to go into why I want this since I have 2 girls. You guys can figure that out no?

CHEAP- Looking to spend at max about $700-750 for rent for a 2-3 bedroom house/manufactured/mobile home that ALLOWS PETS.

Good schools- Again I don't think I'd have to go into that to much...but I'm curious as to the extracurricular classes you have up there. My high school aged daughter is going into the fine/visual arts field and I'm wondering if the schools there will cater to this? (Not to sound ignorant but is it all agriculture based studies? As this won't do her ANY good in classes for college)

Non Conservative - Piercings/tattoos/colored hair (think purple/blue/etc) We are normal people who just may look a little different from the majority of people up there...and I understand how small town mentality can work.

As far as work, I'll be either working from our house or looking for work once we get up there. That brings another thing to mind too ....internet services in the rural areas...A MUST HAVE please! Dial-up need not apply! Is all this asking for to much in Kansas?

Thanks for all your info and answers in advance!
MickeyMouseH3LL
Um, You should be able to find that.

I would STRONGLY consider johnson county like western shawnee mission or lenexa. The schools up in KCK are unarguably going to be more troubled.

FYI- KS around the metro area isn;t that conservative. It's more of a rural phenomenom. MY last gf was colored hair etc etc. and my neighbors 3 doors down are gay and no one gives a fudge.

Don't lump the metro into a big KS lump. Would you do that with say New York and the rest of the state?

Old 11-12-2011, 06:20 PM

79 posts, read 166,756 times
Default Leavenworth.

I to live in Florida and I have had the privilidge to travel all around the Country transporting privately owned Automobiles, While I like Kansas City as a whole from a Truck Drivers point of view it just always seems like it is an easy City to get around in. But I myself like Leavenworth I have hauled alot of Vehicles up there for the Employees of the Federal Prison. I have been up in that area in all sorts of weather and I just enjoy the town.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:18 AM

THANK YOU both for replying to my post. I do truly appreciate your input. Any other areas come to mind for what I'm looking for?

Old 11-13-2011, 01:06 PM

8,812 posts, read 9,631,609 times
I think in that Zip code you are going to be doing the best you can do as far as schools in KCK . For better schools you have to live more to the south of that zip code but for more rural you have to go to the west or north from that zip code Seems to me Google hooked all KCK up with wireless. Not sure about the politics of the area. It does vote to the left but I would say they are more tolerant than they are liberal.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:09 PM

58 posts, read 149,862 times
Depending on where you want to drive to/from.....I'd look into:

Basehor, Bonner Springs, De Soto, Eudora, Gardner, and Olathe, Lenexa (the last two are more like suburbs of KCK....kinda like where you are driving and can't tell you've left one town and entered another....but there are good schools, etc).

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

If you haven't already found the above website, it is fantastic for "comparing" schools (and often has comments/parent/student feedback on there too). Then you can look at different cities and their schools!

Good luck

Old 11-14-2011, 12:50 PM

Thank You again guys for the responses!! I have a couple more questions (and prolly alot more until we get closer to moving)

1. Is Shawnee Mission a single town or is it two separate towns? (Like Shawnee and Mission)

2. What are the names of the newspapers in the above mentioned areas?
Basehor, Bonner Springs, De Soto, Eudora, Gardner, Olathe, Lenexa, Leavenworth, Shawnee & Mission. I know some of the counties are Johnson and Douglas. Any other counties from the cities/towns above?

Thanks again in advance for your responses!

Old 11-14-2011, 05:12 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,513,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMouseH3LL View Post
Thank You again guys for the responses!! I have a couple more questions (and prolly alot more until we get closer to moving)

1. Is Shawnee Mission a single town or is it two separate towns? (Like Shawnee and Mission)

2. What are the names of the newspapers in the above mentioned areas?
Basehor, Bonner Springs, De Soto, Eudora, Gardner, Olathe, Lenexa, Leavenworth, Shawnee & Mission. I know some of the counties are Johnson and Douglas. Any other counties from the cities/towns above?

Thanks again in advance for your responses!
Shawnee Mission is a postal area. It's actually a bunch of cities and is also the name of the school district that serves the area.

Most people will say the actual suburb they are from though. Such as Shawnee or Merriam or Mission rather than Shawnee Mission.

Does anybody still place ads in local newspapers? If you are looking for places to live, craigslist kc would probably be the best option. But I'm sure most of these places have tiny weeklys or monthlys. The only large papers on the KS side are the Olathe and KCK papers and those are hardly large papers, although Lawrence has a decent daily paper.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:47 AM

50 posts, read 138,668 times
Leavonworth is a nice town for what you are looking for. Lawrence is extremely nonconservative, very nice pretty town but a little high in housing.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:49 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,083,338 times
I would check KBI for the sexual offenders list before choosing a home (http://www.accesskansas.org/kbi/ro.shtml). Also, look at the cost of insurance - all types, the cost of taxes especially personal property tax on your vehicles and what else you have that may qualify. The cost of taxes and insurance can be a real shocker and prepare for culture shock! Keep in mind that you will be driving on ice and snow when looking at your commute. All of this stuff really starts to count. We know, we have lived a few places and there is no place like home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or