U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 08:56 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,111,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Actually, for it's size, KC has had some of the smallest Occupy protests in the whole country. Now that doesn't necessarily show that people are apathetic -- I attributed that moreso to KC's conservatism than anything else.
KC apparently had several hundred camped in front of City Hall, about the same that STL pulled and many in STL arrests were from Columbia. It moved around... There was also one at Liberty Memorial, as well as the Mill Creek fountain. Is just not in spotlight because there were no arrests in KC AFAIK. Lawrence did.

Since KC has better than avg unemployment, though still not great, was surprised KC had much of one.

Occupy KC has avoided trouble, and the spotlight - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/17/3272471/occupy-kc-has-avoided-trouble.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 08:57 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Yeah, I surround myself and work with people who are adventurous, creative and make things happen.
Well, aren't you special! I wish I could choose who I work with!

While somewhat masked in your rather condescending post, I understand your point and it's pretty obvious that you would try to hang out with people that have the same interests as you.

All I know is that I worked downtown, crown center and the plaza for 15 years and I would say that over half the people in any of the offices didn't have a clue about anything in central kcmo except what they might see on their daily commutes and even that's highly subjective. These would be the same people that will be first to say how corrupt kcmo city hall is or how bad the kcmo streets are or how dangerous and run down the city is and how perfect and great things in southern Overland Park are. And that was in the city. Working out in suburbia is much worse.

Trust me, I surrounded myself with people that were not like this, but is was pretty difficult to avoid this crowd in KC (even some friends of family could often be pretty anti kcmo) and it's probably biggest thing about KC that I really don't miss. Although I would hope it's getting better with all that kcmo has done in the past decade, I heard more people complain that kcmo was wasting money on the P&L district and sprint center than those that praised it. But maybe the civic pride there is turning a corner.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:22 AM

Not following how it was condescending, actually I try to hookup with people who are specifically _not_ like me as well (such as horseback riding or MUFON meeting). It doesn't really take much effort to find interesting people is my point. I discovered horseback riding by meeting someone at a diner counter in City Market - eventually got hooked.

Agreed there are a lot of people who have no clue of the city or bash it, just saying there are plenty who are adventurous/creative (Xroads alone) and it's not hard to find if you just look and focus on those people rather than the downer people, which every city has. Seems you tend to take the half glass empty approach with many of your posts and focus on that aspect of KC. Yeah, I go half glass full and it seems to pay off with people that I meet in KC.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:27 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
Quote:
Not following how it was condescending, actually I try to hookup with people who are specifically _not_ like me as well (such as horseback riding or MUFON meeting). It doesn't really take much effort to find interesting people is my point. I discovered horseback riding by meeting someone at a diner counter in City Market - eventually got hooked.

Agreed there are a lot of people who have no clue of the city or bash it, just saying there are plenty who are adventurous/creative (Xroads alone) and it's not hard to find if you just look and focus on those people rather than the downer people. Seems you tend to take the half glass empty approach with many of your posts and focus on that aspect of KC. Yeah, I go half glass full and it seems to pay off with people that I meet in KC.
There is PLENTY to do in KC and there are PLENTY of active, creative etc people in KC. If you are active and like to keep busy, KC has plenty to do lots of people to hang out with. I never said otherwise.

But you do seem to have to weed through the anti city/urban people more in KC to get to those people. That's all.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:36 AM

20,170 posts, read 34,496,158 times
Quote:
KC apparently had several hundred camped in front of City Hall, about the same that STL pulled and many in STL arrests were from Columbia. It moved around... There was also one at Liberty Memorial, as well as the Mill Creek fountain. Is just not in spotlight because there were no arrests in KC AFAIK. Lawrence did.

Since KC has better than avg unemployment, though still not great, was surprised KC had much of one.

Occupy KC has avoided trouble, and the spotlight - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/17/3272471/occupy-kc-has-avoided-trouble.html - broken link)
You do realize that the unemployment rate is vastly lower than the actual U6 number that is put out by the BLS...

Old 12-12-2011, 11:02 AM

Many analysts think the US rate average is actually much higher than 8-9% that is posted. The Feds don't really know the number of people 'in the labor force' looking for work. If a person had a job a few years ago, lost it, looked for a while but gave up, the Feds don't track that inactive person as a part of the 'labor force', which makes the % unemployment standard rate look better than it is. Also, there are many who did find a job for much less income than their previous. Between significantly underemployed and pseudo-unemployed (once worked but no longer looking), the estimate is about 15-18%, though it does seem to be improving.

I don't trust the Feds actual rate 'value', but the above/below comparison between cities may have more merit. That is, I don't trust that KC is actually at 7.8% unemployment and US avg is 8.x% or whatever, but KC's rate may very well be better than US avg if margin for error is the same for each study.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...ment-rate.aspx

Is no surprise there is some form of demonstration given how long the unemployment rate has been high. Many other countries would be having less civilized protests to riots.

Last edited by xenokc; 12-12-2011 at 11:36 AM..

Old 03-15-2012, 02:24 PM

433 posts, read 832,456 times
Hey All,

Well I did move here -- been in Overland Park for almost three months now and really like the KC area. I was AMAZED at how much friendlier the people here are compared to the Omaha/Council Bluffs area... I mean this in an overall sense. I was rather pleasantly shocked and surprised at the striking difference.

Moderator, please tell me if I should start a new thread, but after doing a search here on C-D, I can't seem to find a basic family practice physician in the Overland Park area.

I need one soon, so can anyone suggest a good physician? I don't have health insurance, so it will need to be self-pay.

Thanks to anyone who would be willing to share!

Last edited by 50something; 03-15-2012 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: additions

Old 03-15-2012, 03:28 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,216,465 times
^Thank you so much for the update and I'm glad you're liking it here!

I don't have any specific suggestions about a doctor out that way, but it's totally fine of you to pull up this old thread to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or