U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 11:26 PM

583 posts, read 739,734 times

Advertisements

Well, I can give you a 53 year old single man's perspective. I live in KC area. I've lived in Kansas/ Missouri my whole life. Of the people I know who are in my age range, virtually every man I know is married. Most of the ladies are also married but there does some to be more single women than men. I've been to a couple of Meetup events for the over 40 crowd and the men tend to be 60ish. The women seem to be mainly 50-55. Make of that what you will.

If you're religious and an avid church goer, you may have some luck with the dating scene. Most big churches have social and/or singles groups. Of course, there's always the bar scene. Can't tell you how that is as I don't go to bars. If you like younger men, that will definitely open up your options a bit more.

I would say the dating scene for 50 year olds is pretty lackluster here. If you're in Omaha right now, I can't imagine it's any different there that it is here. Overland Park is a good area though as everyone says. Lot's of good affordable housing right now too if you're buying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 07:24 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,216,465 times
There's certainly some nuggets of truth in what that girl posted, but there's plenty in it that's unfair as well -- the line Tablula picked out is a particularly egregious untruth, and additionally, the bus system in Kansas City is actually pretty good (though public transit is limited to busses alone).

Frankly, I don't know a ton of single people here even in their 30s, so I can't imagine the dating scene is going to be easy for you here, but as others have mentioned, no worse (and frankly, I'd think, at least slightly, better) than Omaha.

Best of luck, and feel free to ask any follow-up questions you might have!

Old 11-15-2011, 11:54 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,110,519 times
Last census showed only about 30% of those in 20s/30s are married, about 50% or so over 40 are married so nearly 50% are not.

As far as dating scene... if you're introverted it's harder, if you're extroverted it's easier.. in any city.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:44 PM

433 posts, read 832,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
Well, I can give you a 53 year old single man's perspective. I live in KC area. I've lived in Kansas/ Missouri my whole life. Of the people I know who are in my age range, virtually every man I know is married. Most of the ladies are also married but there does some to be more single women than men. I've been to a couple of Meetup events for the over 40 crowd and the men tend to be 60ish. The women seem to be mainly 50-55. Make of that what you will.

If you're religious and an avid church goer, you may have some luck with the dating scene. Most big churches have social and/or singles groups. Of course, there's always the bar scene. Can't tell you how that is as I don't go to bars. If you like younger men, that will definitely open up your options a bit more.

I would say the dating scene for 50 year olds is pretty lackluster here. If you're in Omaha right now, I can't imagine it's any different there that it is here. Overland Park is a good area though as everyone says. Lot's of good affordable housing right now too if you're buying.
Your remarks are what I've heard from several other people. Thank you for your candor.

I'm rethinking my decision to accept the job in Overland Park. I've been researching on an ongoing basis, and it appears the singles demographics there aren't in my favor. :-(

Susan

Last edited by 50something; 11-18-2011 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: additions

Old 11-18-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I got about this far before all the poster's credibility went out the window. I wouldn't put too much stock in the rest of those ramblings, overall.
Oh boy, she finally returned my call. My impression is that she generalizes a bit too much, but she seems to have her head on straight. She left KCMO and now lives in Tacoma, Washington, and she says she's very happy there.

Just thought I'd share.....

Susan

Last edited by 50something; 11-18-2011 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: additions

Old 11-18-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
There's certainly some nuggets of truth in what that girl posted, but there's plenty in it that's unfair as well -- the line Tablula picked out is a particularly egregious untruth, and additionally, the bus system in Kansas City is actually pretty good (though public transit is limited to busses alone).

Frankly, I don't know a ton of single people here even in their 30s, so I can't imagine the dating scene is going to be easy for you here, but as others have mentioned, no worse (and frankly, I'd think, at least slightly, better) than Omaha.

Best of luck, and feel free to ask any follow-up questions you might have!
Dear Sayer of true stuff: I think you're right on the mark with your comments. Thanks for taking the time to contribute to this thread. Susan

Last edited by 50something; 11-18-2011 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-21-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Last census showed only about 30% of those in 20s/30s are married, about 50% or so over 40 are married so nearly 50% are not.

As far as dating scene... if you're introverted it's harder, if you're extroverted it's easier.. in any city.
It's important to note that an additional 15-25% are likely unable to be legally married or for whatever reason choose not to be married; but that doesn't mean they're out there looking.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
It's important to note that an additional 15-25% are likely unable to be legally married or for whatever reason choose not to be married; but that doesn't mean they're out there looking.
This is food for thought..... When I researched this topic, I was shocked to see Kansas City was rated the worst city for dating.

Here's just one of the many sources I came across online:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

This is all disappointing to me because, based on my visits to the area, I really liked KCMO and OP.

I've lived all over the country, and all cities are not equal when it comes to dating over 50, so that's why I'm doing the research.

Last edited by Yac; 11-29-2011 at 06:03 AM..

Old 11-21-2011, 12:59 PM

^Don't trust any of those lists, honestly. Their criteria is often wildly unscientific.

Like on that one posted:

Quote:
dating venues such as coffee shops, bars, and intimate apparel stores and flowers and jewelry bought as gifts.
-- Really? Number of intimate apparel stores?

Old 11-21-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
^Don't trust any of those lists, honestly. Their criteria is often wildly unscientific.

Like on that one posted:

-- Really? Number of intimate apparel stores?
Yeah, I know what you mean. It seems the more I research, the more confused I wind up being.
I definitely take those ratings with a grain of salt, but it's hard to totally ignore them.

Last edited by 50something; 11-21-2011 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: added last sentence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or