U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 01:46 PM

433 posts, read 832,456 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there are a lot of transplants in the KCMO/JOCO area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 02:16 PM

20,170 posts, read 34,496,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50something View Post
I would say less than the national average.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:47 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,216,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50something View Post
I'm one, but most of my coworkers are from here or within a hundred or so miles of here.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:53 PM

^
Which is why I wouldn't consider anyone from the general MO and KS area that lives in the KC metro area to really be a "transplant."

Old 11-21-2011, 03:03 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,216,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
^
Which is why I wouldn't consider anyone from the general MO and KS area that lives in the KC metro area to really be a "transplant."
I wasn't talking about people from within the metro. My SO is from Shawnee -- he's not a transplant. I mean I have a lot of coworkers originally from Wichita or Miami County or Omaha or Sedalia.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I wasn't talking about people from within the metro. My SO is from Shawnee -- he's not a transplant. I mean I have a lot of coworkers originally from Wichita or Miami County or Omaha or Sedalia.
I think my prior post was misunderstood. I also included those from the rural and small cities of KS and MO as not really being "transplants" because they are from the general region and moved to the big city. It does count as out-migration away from the smaller places, but they didn't leave the region entirely.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:57 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,111,236 times
Actually KC's domestic in-migration rate is higher than most Midwest cities. I've posted about this many times but most of the debbie downers on this site (who don't live in KC!) try to spin it down for some reason. There are more people from Chicago, LA, St Louis, San Diego, San Fran, New York, even Minneapolis who move to KC than KC people moving to those cities. Where I work, about half are not from the KC area and about 1/3 are not from this side of Midwest. About the same in my condo building. But it depends on area of metro. JoCo, Norhtland and city core area seem to attract most of the outsiders.

I'll see if I can find the site but for the whole metro area something like 69% were born in the area (lower when just counting adults) in comparison to something like 78% in STL. KC came in more _domestically_ diverse than National Avg but lower than high in-migration cities in the South.

Edit: Not source on % born but did find the one on domestic in-migration.. KC is higher than US avg (even higher than Seattle in %). KC is lower in International in-migration but better than most midwest cities.

Page 25...
http://www.ewgateway.org/pdffiles/li...ws/wws2011.pdf

Last edited by xenokc; 11-21-2011 at 06:25 PM..

Old 11-21-2011, 05:35 PM

400 posts, read 843,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Actually KC's domestic in-migration rate is higher than most Midwest cities. I've posted about this many times but most of the debbie downers on this site try to spin it down for some reason. There are more people from Chicago, LA, St Louis, San Fran, New York, even Minneapolis who move to KC than KC people moving to those cities. Where I work, about half are not from the KC area and about 1/3 are not from this side of Midwest. About the same in my condo building. But it depends on area of metro. JoCo, Norhtland and city core area seem to attract most of the outsiders.

I'll see if I can find the site but for the whole metro area something like 69% were born in the area (lower when just counting adults) in comparison to 78% in STL. KC came in more _domestically_ diverse than National Avg but lower than high in-migration cities in the South.
That's probably true. I haven't seen the metro-wide stats, but I do know that just speaking about the Kansas side, Kansas has a very low percentage of state residents having been born in Kansas. According to data just released in November 2011 by the Census Bureau, only 58.2% of Kansas residents were born in Kansas, which is by far the lowest percentage of born-in-state residents of any state in the Midwest.

Source: http://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/acsbr10-07.pdf

This would strongly contradict the notion that, at least on the Kansas side of the metro, that it is peopled by people who migrated from rural Kansas. This does not seem to be the case as much as people think. In Johnson County specifically, the vast majority of residents are not originally from Kansas (this is one of the reasons why the state-wide percentage born-in-state is so low for Kansas as a whole).

Prior to your arrival on this forum, it used to be very common for the user kcmo to drone on about how JoCo was so provincial because everyone from out-state Kansas moves there, and brings their small-town, anti-city, college-sports-loving culture with them. This was a convenient theory for him to explain why JoCo is the way that it is, until I exposed it for the baseless garbage that it is. The data shows that JoCo-ers actually are not mostly from Kansas, but mostly have moved in from other states. And to the extent that the KC metro has a high percentage of residents born in other states, a significant portion of that is due to JoCo.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:04 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Earth View Post
That's probably true. I haven't seen the metro-wide stats, but I do know that just speaking about the Kansas side, Kansas has a very low percentage of state residents having been born in Kansas. According to data just released in November 2011 by the Census Bureau, only 58.2% of Kansas residents were born in Kansas, which is by far the lowest percentage of born-in-state residents of any state in the Midwest.

Source: http://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/acsbr10-07.pdf

This would strongly contradict the notion that, at least on the Kansas side of the metro, that it is peopled by people who migrated from rural Kansas. This does not seem to be the case as much as people think. In Johnson County specifically, the vast majority of residents are not originally from Kansas (this is one of the reasons why the state-wide percentage born-in-state is so low for Kansas as a whole).

Prior to your arrival on this forum, it used to be very common for the user kcmo to drone on about how JoCo was so provincial because everyone from out-state Kansas moves there, and brings their small-town, anti-city, college-sports-loving culture with them. This was a convenient theory for him to explain why JoCo is the way that it is, until I exposed it for the baseless garbage that it is. The data shows that JoCo-ers actually are not mostly from Kansas, but mostly have moved in from other states. And to the extent that the KC metro has a high percentage of residents born in other states, a significant portion of that is due to JoCo.
I see you have managed to pull me into yet another one of your fun threads.

Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, what the hell is the difference. KC is loaded with people from the rural midwest and that has a pretty significant impact on the culture of KC. Outstate KS is not that populated, but the population it does have migrates to metro kc (and denver).

Say what you want, but KC is heavily influenced by its isolated location and rural to urban migration. Chances are higher that you will meet somebody in metro KC from Salina or Lincoln or Joplin than from Seattle or Boston or Atlanta, and they do live in places like Olathe by the tens of thousands. Nearly everybody I have met out here is from another big city or from DC/Balt. That is just not the case in KC.

One more thing, people are driven to JoCo when they relocate to metro KC. You have to seriously go against what everybody is telling you to do to not end up in JoCo when new to the KC area, but then a lot of those people migrate from JoCo to other area counties (Missouri) after they learn the area.

The MO side of KC adds about the same number of new residents as the KS side, but most of the new residents start out in JoCo yet many end up throughout the metro. So the stats show that JoCo is drawing all the new residents from out of town, but thatís not entirely true. JoCo is the landing point for most residents, but once settled, many move to other areas of the metro.

But whatever you want to think!

Last edited by kcmo; 11-21-2011 at 08:12 PM..

Old 11-21-2011, 11:02 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,375,570 times
I'm a transplant...I moved here from northern Illinois. My SO is one, too...moved here from NY state, with a few years in Texas in between. My coworkers, who are predominantly in the 23-40 age range, are a pretty good mix of locals and people from out of state.

For what it's worth, neither my SO nor I entertained notions of living in Johnson County and/or Kansas upon moving here, even though his employer is a large JoCo company. When they first relocated him to the metro, work put him up for a few months in a Residence Inn type arrangement near the office while he secured an apartment, but that's the only time he spent living in Johnson County. We have considered buying rurally or small-town in Kansas at some point...possibly Baldwin City area. But we're not so much into Overland Park, et al. Not everyone who is transplanted to the metro gets steered that way. It's obvious that some prefer it, but it's equally obvious that it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or