U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 03:37 PM

433 posts, read 832,287 times

Advertisements

I'm a 56-year-old single, college-educated woman considering relocation to Overland Park due to a job offer. I've been reading and hearing a lot about dating in the KC area, and not much of it is good. I realize that there will always be complaints on the subject of dating no matter where one lives, but the negative things I've heard about dating in KC is overwhelming. I'm from NJ, but have lived in several states over the years, and I've never come across so many complaints about the lack of dating life. I've read the statistics, but they can be quite misleading; for example some of the research companies who publish stats only count the 18-24 age group.

Folks, I need some help on this topic please. Nothing in my search on the KC forum pertains to dating over 50 -- if there are any threads about it that I've been unable to find, I'd appreciate a link to them. I realize that my age is a liability and that nowhere is particularly good for a 56-year-old female who wants to meet a compatible man for a long-term relationship.

Currently living in Omaha and have traveled to Overland Park a few times over the past two months and liked the area.

Is there anyone on this forum who is single and in my age group who can share their experiences living in KC? Any information would be most welcomed!

Thanks for reading.

Susan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 04:16 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
I imagine that the 50-something dating scene would probably be about the same level of difficult in Omaha as in KC.

Really, EVERYbody who's single squawks about how terrible the dating scene is wherever they are living, so I wouldn't really put too much stock in all that. Dating at any age, you're better off with more people around you versus fewer. But I doubt that the dating scene in your demographic in KC would be markedly different than in Omaha.

I do know that, depending on your interests, there are lots of opportunities for civic involvement at any age. I sing in an ensemble that is full of women from my age (34) and younger through your age and older. It's only one of many such opportunities...there's a lot going on, and if you involve yourself in any one of various organizations, you'll meet people, and if you meet people, you'll more likely than not greatly expand your dating options.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:52 PM

84 posts, read 167,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50something View Post
I'm a 56-year-old single, college-educated woman considering relocation to Overland Park due to a job offer. I've been reading and hearing a lot about dating in the KC area, and not much of it is good. I realize that there will always be complaints on the subject of dating no matter where one lives, but the negative things I've heard about dating in KC is overwhelming. I'm from NJ, but have lived in several states over the years, and I've never come across so many complaints about the lack of dating life. I've read the statistics, but they can be quite misleading; for example some of the research companies who publish stats only count the 18-24 age group.

Folks, I need some help on this topic please. Nothing in my search on the KC forum pertains to dating over 50 -- if there are any threads about it that I've been unable to find, I'd appreciate a link to them. I realize that my age is a liability and that nowhere is particularly good for a 56-year-old female who wants to meet a compatible man for a long-term relationship.

Currently living in Omaha and have traveled to Overland Park a few times over the past two months and liked the area.

Is there anyone on this forum who is single and in my age group who can share their experiences living in KC? Any information would be most welcomed!

Thanks for reading.

Susan
Susan,

Let me start by saying I'm in the same generation as yourelf and happily married and my observation is purely just that - an observation.

We have lived in Overland Park for several years now and we love it. The community is affluent enough to keep the streets clean and safe and yet the people are still approachable and nice to talk with at a sports bar or public event.

To say dating is terrible is not something I would know about but I feel it is really up to the person and what they make of a situation or circumstance. Kansas City as a whole has many things/events to attend and yet isn't so big that you feel lost like an Atlanta or a Dallas/FortWorth metroplex.

Overland Park as a whole is very diverse in that the north end of OP is older and established. Housing is very reasonable and only a short distance to the Power & Light District and the Sprint Center for events. The more southern end has higher end eateries and housing available but the price there is the price.

I expect that you know yourself well enough to decide what is best. The job must be of interest to you, start there. Move down, start the new job and get to know your surroundings. Attend a ballet at our new Civic Center and relax. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:47 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the info and for the positive comments! You are correct in that no matter where one lives there will be complaints about dating. I just didn't want to move where the odds were severely stacked against me.

Here's a sample of what I've been reading and filling my head with:

================================================== =======
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I found the following post online: (just an example of what I've been finding):
[SIZE=2px]
"If you are a single female, run, don't walk away f - 5/12/2010
[/SIZE]

I feel sorry for Kansas City in a way. It has so much potential. It's spread out, easy to get around in, the traffic isn't too bad and there are beautiful things to see. There's also a lot of big-name concerts and more performing arts than you would imagine in this type of city. You do have to own a car or you are screwed because if you ride your bike, you will be run over (probably the most "bike-unfriendly" city out there) and the bus system sucks. Walking is ok if you are not afraid of being mugged or raped. Yes, the crime is bad, but you learn how to avoid it mostly. Then what's the real problem? It's the people...I've never lived in a lonelier place. Everyone here is from here or near here except me. They all have the same friends from high school or college I guess and are not looking for more. They are also extremely complacent. This is not a growth-oriented population! I work as a contract trainer all over the US. Kansas City people are some of the worst audiences. They do not want to learn or grow. Everywhere else that I've lived, I've had a group of interesting, intellectual friends and lots of dating options. Not here. I have friends all over the US, just not here. I have a few friends and I know a lot of people, but it's still so lonely because most of them do not want to develop friendships. Even worse than that is the dating. Since I travel a lot (that's the only way I could live here and survive), I know it's not me. The guys here are horrible. Yes, there are some young college hotties, but I'm 45 so that's not a long-term solution (although I have gone there a time or two). The guys - even the less-than-attractive ones are rude and act as if you are lucky to be with them. I have tried to talk to guys at the book store etc, but they freak out if you just say hi. It's so weird. I have been hit on a few times by hot guys, but each one has either just moved here or is visiting from out of town. I do have a boyfriend now otherwise I would be outta here tomorrow. Whenever he goes out with his friends, even to happy hour, he is swarmed with desperate 20-something year old girls! Even when I'm there! It's the craziest thing! I image one will get him eventually and then I will move far, far away!! What I wouldn't give for some intelligent, enlightening conversation and a group of friends to meet for wine or coffee! Is that too much to ask?"

Last edited by Yac; 11-29-2011 at 06:08 AM..

Old 11-12-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Hey guys, thanks for the info and for the positive comments! You are correct in that no matter where one lives there will be complaints about dating. I just didn't want to move where the odds were severely stacked against me.

Here's a sample of what I've been reading and filling my head with:

================================================== =======
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I found the following post online: (just an example of what I've been finding):
[SIZE=2px][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2px]"If you are a single female, run, don't walk away f - 5/12/2010[/SIZE]

I feel sorry for Kansas City in a way. It has so much potential. It's spread out, easy to get around in, the traffic isn't too bad and there are beautiful things to see. There's also a lot of big-name concerts and more performing arts than you would imagine in this type of city. You do have to own a car or you are screwed because if you ride your bike, you will be run over (probably the most "bike-unfriendly" city out there) and the bus system sucks. Walking is ok if you are not afraid of being mugged or raped. Yes, the crime is bad, but you learn how to avoid it mostly. Then what's the real problem? It's the people...I've never lived in a lonelier place. Everyone here is from here or near here except me. They all have the same friends from high school or college I guess and are not looking for more. They are also extremely complacent. This is not a growth-oriented population! I work as a contract trainer all over the US. Kansas City people are some of the worst audiences. They do not want to learn or grow. Everywhere else that I've lived, I've had a group of interesting, intellectual friends and lots of dating options. Not here. I have friends all over the US, just not here. I have a few friends and I know a lot of people, but it's still so lonely because most of them do not want to develop friendships. Even worse than that is the dating. Since I travel a lot (that's the only way I could live here and survive), I know it's not me. The guys here are horrible. Yes, there are some young college hotties, but I'm 45 so that's not a long-term solution (although I have gone there a time or two). The guys - even the less-than-attractive ones are rude and act as if you are lucky to be with them. I have tried to talk to guys at the book store etc, but they freak out if you just say hi. It's so weird. I have been hit on a few times by hot guys, but each one has either just moved here or is visiting from out of town. I do have a boyfriend now otherwise I would be outta here tomorrow. Whenever he goes out with his friends, even to happy hour, he is swarmed with desperate 20-something year old girls! Even when I'm there! It's the craziest thing! I image one will get him eventually and then I will move far, far away!! What I wouldn't give for some intelligent, enlightening conversation and a group of friends to meet for wine or coffee! Is that too much to ask?"
Ok I'm typing this one out! OH MY GOD!!!

Sorry but the chick in this example seems a bit of a manic depressant. If it was really this bad I would have to think there would already be a reality show about Kansas City by now! lolzzz

Last edited by Yac; 11-29-2011 at 06:07 AM..

Old 11-12-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey831831 View Post
Ok I'm typing this one out! OH MY GOD!!!

Sorry but the chick in this example seems a bit of a manic depressant. If it was really this bad I would have to think there would already be a reality show about Kansas City by now! lolzzz
She'd probably be one of the first guests. I sure can pick 'em, can't I? Yes, she seems a little over the top for sure. I tried to e-mail her for "clarification," but she's not replied.

One thing I've noticed from my visits to the KC area is that *overall* there is much more politeness and good manners compared to my current location.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:55 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
Quote:
"Walking is ok if you are not afraid of being mugged or raped.
I got about this far before all the poster's credibility went out the window. I wouldn't put too much stock in the rest of those ramblings, overall.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I got about this far before all the poster's credibility went out the window. I wouldn't put too much stock in the rest of those ramblings, overall.
Just so everyone knows.... Tab is talking about the OTHER poster (not me)!

I have to admit, though, that her "dissertation" psyched me out a little which resulted in some "Inspector Clouseau" research online.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Just so everyone knows.... Tab is talking about the OTHER poster (not me)!

I have to admit, though, that her "dissertation" psyched me out a little which resulted in some "Inspector Clouseau" research online.
Instinct is something not to be ignored. Follow yours with a dose of common sense and you'll be fine. I hope you're move to KC is pleasant and your new job a success. Best of Luck!

Last edited by smokey831831; 11-12-2011 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 11-13-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey831831 View Post
Instinct is something not to be ignored. Follow yours with a dose of common sense and you'll be fine. I hope you're move to KC is pleasant and your new job a success. Best of Luck!
Thanks Smokey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or