U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 6,601 times
Default Should I Move From Ny To Ks?

I Have A Great Job Offer! The Position Is In Ks And Is Very Secure. My Wife And I Are Both Professionals. I Also Dabble In The Arts As An Actor An Producer. My Son Will Be Attending Fith Grade This Fall. My Church Is Greater Bethal Allen Ame. My Pastor Is Rev Floyd Flake. We Are Looking For Some Possible Church Homes. The Best Area To Purchase A Home. The Best Possible Schools. We Are Also Into Resturants, Museums, Movies, Boating, Fishing, Etc.. We Just Need Some Honest Answers. I Have To Be In Ks Between December 15th And January 7th 2008.
Hows The Weather? The Food? The People? The Curch? The Street? The Rich The Poor? The Schools?
Based On Some Of The Answers That I Recieve, I Will Visit And Judge For Myself. I Just Need Some Opinions From People Who Are There.

Thanks....stay Blessed!

Who Knows We May Be Neighbors Soon!

Thank You And God Bless!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,601 times

Old 08-27-2007, 07:40 PM

110 posts, read 486,559 times
You really haven't given much information. Where in KS would you be moving? It's a relatively big state with a vast array of lifestyles, from the upscale areas in Leawood and the nicer areas of KCMO, to college towns such a Lawrence and Manhattan. There are many smaller towns, rural areas - I could go on, but you get the idea. It would also help if you would indicate the type of city where you are now living so valid comparisons may be made.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:53 PM

4 posts, read 13,117 times
Growing up in Kansas, I can honestly say that Derby Kansas is the best place to live. It was actually in Family Circle mag.(Aug.2007)as one of the top ten best towns in america for families.
The town is about 17,000 strong. Very safe, good-polite people, wonderful schools,beautiful parks, there is a lake within most walking distance in the town that you can fish in.
It is also only a few miles from Wichita (20mins).
It has all the things you need. Big city feel but all the advantages of the small. Horses right in the town. Parades and Derby days (carnival).
Derby High school is the top best school in the state of Kansas.
Average home 80,000 to 200,000.
If that is a bit much, there are homes priced lower.
Derby is just a beautiful town.
Very diverse ( which as Christians I feel is important for our children).
Derby has a water park,super walmart,target,koals,lots of ma and pop stores,fast foods,hallmark,dollar store,block buster,and I could go on and on.
Like I said big city feel, small town advantages.
The police department is great. They drive the streets all day, all hours.
Derby is clean,clean,clean. Alot of the small towns in Kansas are old and ran down and they don't have the money to keep it up.
Okay,now as far as weather.Kansas is one of those states that have extreme seasons. 110+ summers, rain and flowers in the spring, beautiful falls, and very,very cold winters. It doesn't snow as much as it did when I was a kid but it still gets plenty. Your kiddo will love that there will be snow days.
There is also ice storms. Derby has yet to be hit by a tornado. Knock on wood, but the tornados have always hit the towns around and even the city of Wichita.
Churches, you might just have to get there and find one that feels like your second home. It is always hard to tell someone what would be a good church for them.
Also,if a pet is lost they keep it at the station for a day or if the dog or cat has tags they will call. There is also a bike and walking path that goes around and through the town.
I hope this helped.
My husband is in the Navy and we were just recently stationed back home(Derby),and my kids went to Derby hills elem. and the 6th grade center and the middle school.
Derby has a school just for the 6th graders(across the street from the 7th and 8th grade middle school),to help them adjust. My twins loved it.
Well,good luck.Just let me know if you need to know more.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:01 PM

7 posts, read 21,531 times
In re: to the NY and KC move. We prefer the larger suburbs. But not to far out, we would be commuting to KCMO. We intend on renting until we get settled. We prefer a diversed younger community with low crime, nice mall, mid- upscale resturants, family park and of course a good schol system is very important. If I do not have to pay for private school that would be great.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:13 PM

7 posts, read 21,531 times
Derby definitely sounds like a great place to consider. We will definitly put that place on the top of our list. Do you know the average cost for 3 bdr rentals? We don't want to buy a home till we get settled.

Thank you

Old 08-27-2007, 08:22 PM

I agree with Shonner. It didn't dawn on me that you didn't mention where in Kansas. If it is Wichita, Derby is south of Derby on the map. I also forgot to mention that Derby has a theater and bowling alley. Also, a rec center that has lots and I mean lots of things to offer the familiy to do. But, I hope you will be in that area. If not there are also areas in Wichita, that are nice,but I would stick to areas that are not close to the down town. So, as far north, south, east or west you can go in Wichita would be fine. Wichita schools are not that great. Mainly, the middle and high schools.
Also, my sister lives and graduated from KU in Lawrence Kansas and she and her husband love it there. It is a very great place to live, but it does tend to be more on the liberal side.
The people are good though and it is safe there, and if you want museums it has very nice museums. There are lots of resturants with lots of different unique things to offer in each one,and some have jazz or blues players in them. It is not a town for those who like to where suits, because the people there are pretty easy going and laid back. It has pretty parks. It is much bigger than Derby,not sure how many people, but I would tend to quess atleast 30,000. It is in north Kansas. The average home cost 80,000 to a million dollars. It is close to Kansas City which also offers beautiful museums,but unless you are rich it may not be where you would won't to live.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:52 PM

To rent a three bedroom it could be anywhere from $500 to $1500. Very nice homes, and like I said Derby is a very clean town. Any where in Derby is worth being there. The people are just so friendly. We never had to lock our doors growing up and even going back as a adult it has not changed. My husbands family is still there. You could leave the car running in the winter. There are five elementarys, one 6th grade center, one 7th and 8th grade middle school, and one high school.
It is big enough though that no one is in your business and even though some are born and raised there are also new faces, but they will get to know your faces in the stores,and may even know your prefered sandwich at subway.
Everything is within walking distance. Just take the bike/walk trail. There is also a golf course. Five to six churches,but Wichita has lots more,simple drive.
Derby does have a web sight. I believe you can just google Derby Kansas.
Well, may God bless where ever he puts you (smiles).
Where in Kansas did you get your job offer?

Old 08-27-2007, 09:04 PM

I don't know much about Kansas City, Mo. Other than very high crime rates. If you need to live in Kansas City,Ks to avoid the crime of Kansas City, Mo, you are looking at having to spend a lot of money to live in the types of area that you would like. Kansas City, Ks is very close to Kansas City, Mo, but it is one of those place that either you live like the rich or you live like the poor.
Being, as you are going to be that far north of Kansas, I would look into living in Lawrence. Unless,you have the money to live in Kansas City,Ks ( Kansas City,Mo is actually part of Missouri). Lawrence is a bit of commute,but going to be the closest,nicest,safest,area to live.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:11 AM

110 posts, read 486,559 times
Since you will be commuting to KCMO you might want to consider Overland Park, KS. It's nice, has relatively low crime, good schools, plenty of shopping and places to eat, and affordable housing. It is not far from the Country Club Plaza, which has museums, theater, terrific shopping and dining, and is the site for the famous Christmas lights (the Plaza Lights). In the KC metro area are also the towns of Leawood (expensive), Shawnee, Prairie Village, and several others.

Lawrence is a wonderful smaller city, about 30 miles west of KC. It would be an option if you don't mind a commute. Good luck in finding the perfect home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City