U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:56 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,505,000 times

Advertisements

And the number one reason why KCI needs a new terminal? Because you currently can't do THIS at KCI!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/29/denver-airport-flash-mob_n_1118263.html?ref=travel&icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl14|sec3_lnk1|116284

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 10:28 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,423,986 times
CrownVic, As the decades change, society switches out one problem for another. We used to worry ourselves sick over being nuked by the USSR, so school children had drills in which they'd cower under their desks (like that would do them any good in a nuclear explosion). Now, the USSR is no more, and we have to take precautions against terrorists, so we run the gauntlet at airports. Where there was once Jim Crow and lynchings, now we have gang wars and narcissists. Where we once had more close communities and caring neighbors, now we have come a long way towards equal treatment of women (we still have some distance to go).

Kind of funny how some people have rose-colored glasses when looking through the rear view mirror, but wear a rather depressing gray-colored glasses when looking out the windshield. How about we remove the tints and just be honest with ourselves about what was good and bad in the past and in the present.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:37 AM

7,659 posts, read 5,643,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
CrownVic, As the decades change, society switches out one problem for another. We used to worry ourselves sick over being nuked by the USSR, so school children had drills in which they'd cower under their desks (like that would do them any good in a nuclear explosion). Now, the USSR is no more, and we have to take precautions against terrorists, so we run the gauntlet at airports. Where there was once Jim Crow and lynchings, now we have gang wars and narcissists. Where we once had more close communities and caring neighbors, now we have come a long way towards equal treatment of women (we still have some distance to go).

Kind of funny how some people have rose-colored glasses when looking through the rear view mirror, but wear a rather depressing gray-colored glasses when looking out the windshield. How about we remove the tints and just be honest with ourselves about what was good and bad in the past and in the present.
Nothing better to do than follow me from one thread to another with another shovel full of progressive BS in your hands? Think I haven't heard all of your regurgitated programming before?

You're used to dealing with the likes of the young Ms. Sullivan, I can see. They are plentiful today and wear your dousings with a vacant grin and a shrug of accommodation. In this case, however, the loud metallic clang you hear is the sound of your shovel having met more than its match.

So go waste your time on someone with a shred of patience left for your up is down, right is left, and wrong is right twisted rationalizations of our national decline. There are plenty out there....for with your help and support, our public school system has churned them out in record numbers for the last couple of decades.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:37 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,216,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Nothing better to do than follow me from one thread to another with another shovel full of progressive BS in your hands? Think I haven't heard all of your regurgitated programming before?

You're used to dealing with the likes of the young Ms. Sullivan, I can see. They are plentiful today and wear your dousings with a vacant grin and a shrug of accommodation. In this case, however, the loud metallic clang you hear is the sound of your shovel having met more than its match.

So go waste your time on someone with a shred of patience left for your up is down, right is left, and wrong is right twisted rationalizations of our national decline. There are plenty out there....for with your help and support, our public school system has churned them out in record numbers for the last couple of decades.
So, honestly, which parts of his post do you actually disagree with? Sure it's all that "progressive BS" but what do you actually, in the post, disgaree with?

That there wasn't rational (and irrational) fear about the USSR in the previous generation? Or you somehow simply believe the terrorists of today are truly different in their destructive qualities?

That there wasn't awful violence and intolerence towards those considered less than? That things truly arent better for large chunks of American citizens?

That people don't have a tendency, by nature, to romanticize the past in ways that don't allow us to look forward?

Do share.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:23 AM

CrownVic,

I wasn't following you around. I live in Topeka and travel to KC quite frequently as I have in-laws there. So, I post in both the Kansas forum and the KC forum. I saw that you were continuing to post about how crappy this generation is and how wonderful things used to be in the good 'ole days, and I thought I'd address that assertion directly.

I live in a semi-rural area north of Topeka, and in my little neighborhood we still have it as good as it ever was. I have elderly families as my neighbors on either side of me and a young family diagonal from me. We help each other out and enjoy the bounty of each other's gardens. We have been in each other's homes and celebrated anniversaries together. We respect each other and our kids have manners. The only trouble we have had is some teens, not from our neighborhood, knocked over a number of mailboxes at night. But, teens have been doing that in rural and semi-rural areas since the 1950's.

Things aren't so bad. Life is what you make of it.

I am an atheist, but I still attend a Unitarian Universalist fellowship, and there are plenty of young couples there that I admire and feel lucky to be friends with. My associates at work of all ages are so great. I see alot of good in the youth I interact with on a regular basis.

Last edited by Hueffenhardt; 11-30-2011 at 09:39 AM..

Old 11-30-2011, 10:05 AM

I do like the convienence of the current airport, but I want to do what's best for the local economy. So, if building a new airport means more companies will be headquartered here, bring it on.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:46 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
People in KC always tell me they don't need places in to eat at KCI. Eat before you go they say.

I have a question. Why are dining places in airports so busy if nobody uses them? They don't use them at KC because they can't. There is almost none to choose from even if you do go through security twice. So the idea that people don't want to eat at airports is bogus.

BWI is not a hub airport as far as I know. Seems to be more Southwest than anything, much like KCI, and they have all kinds of places to eat in both the main terminal (which is on the secure side) and in the gate areas and all are always busy.

Anyway, to compare KCI to BWI...

I fly out of BWI about twice a month but will look at my last two flights. I flew out for thanksgiving (to KC) and this weekend I'm in Charleston, SC.

For thanksgiving, BWI was much easier to use. They had the room to set up temporary screening areas, It took about 30 minutes to check bags and go through security. That's a very long wait for BWI, but not a big deal really.

KCI has the WORST baggage carousels ever. They look like they should be serving 12 passenger prop planes, not full size jets. Very small, so even if one flight comes out you are 2-3 people deep standing around it. If two flights come out at once, forget it. What's really stupid is that you have no idea what bags are coming out or will come out. Normal airports have those fancy digital displays above the baggage carousels that say what flight/city is queued up or coming out. Not at KCI. It's a big guessing game. So after we stood there for 20 minutes, only one of our bags came off the plane. So how does southwest lose bags on a nonstop domestic flight? SW tell us to come back, they will be on the next flight to KC, a few hours later.

So we left the terminal and it took 15 minutes for a freaking rental car bus to show up and we had to walk across the street (very few crosswalks) and stand in the middle of a very narrow median and wait. It was interesting hearing others through this. They lost other people's bags too and the bizarre pick up location for the rental car bus was very annoying to some other travelers, as was the wait between buses. I'm used to it, I rent cars at KCI all the time. The new facility is great, but the terminal end sucks. At BWI, buses come to the curb, not across the lanes in the median. That's where people load and unload to stay out of the way of the buses.

So as we approach Downtown in the rental, KCI calls and says they found our bags. KCI lost them, not southwest. They blamed it on having to move bags manually as KCI doesn't have an automated baggage system, so they don't even know if they have all the bags off the plane or not before the plane goes to the next city.

So we go back to KCI and get our bags!

Flying out of KCI several days later was annoying. The rental car shuttles were not going to each individual terminal, but rather each bus was serving all terminals. In most airports, shuttle buses pick up at one end and drop off at the other because departures are separate from arrivals. At KCI, everything is mixed so buses pick up, drop off, pick up, drop off. Do you know how stupid that is and how messed up the bags on the buses can get? People get on the bus and put bags on top of the bags you needs to offload at the next stop. Again, I hear people talking about how stupid it is. You are running late for a flight and the bus has to stop six times and pick up and drop off others? At BWI, it's all on at the terminal, all off at the rental car place.

Now we are in line to check bags. KC has to be the ONLY airport that makes you drag your bags back through the line you just waited in after they weigh and tag them and take them to a big pile of bags by the xray machines. WTF? At BWI, they weigh and tag the bags and place them on the conveyer belt behind them and off they go, at KCI, they give them back to you and you have to push through the crowd with them.

We go through security and wait for our flight. Thank god, there was no delay. The gates were full and there was no place to sit. Even a 30 minute delay at KCI can be pretty rough, I know, I've been delayed at KCI. It's a terrible experience for those not used to KCI. They don't even have flight monitors to view to check flight times or possible other options if your flight is canceled, let alone food, restrooms etc.

Finally, back to BWI. walk off plane and by the time we get to the very large and spacious baggage claim area our bags are coming out and there is even a blinking sign that says "kansas city" so we know where to look!!! So nice!

We walk out and catch a curb side bus to long term parking, same as KCI (only BWI has full size buses, not, those mini buses, which would often fill up when I lived in KC.

I won't say much about my flight to Charleston. To sum it up. There was no wait for security or bag check, but I didn't check bags (people in KC think all airports take a hour to get through security). But once through security, I found out my flight was delayed 50 minutes. I was going to eat when I arrived at Charleston, but now I have the option to eat at any number of places while I kill an hour and I did. I had a quick meal and read the paper and that 50 minutes went by super fast. At KCI, that 50 minutes feels like about 3 hours.

I Land in Charleston, a city a fraction the size of KC and step off the plane into a modern terminal with restaurants, bars etc right in the gate areas and more when I reach the main terminal.

KCI is just a terrible airport. I didn't care for it while living in KC and now I can't stand it. I can put up with it and fly there a lot. But I just wanted to post all this to give people in KC and idea of how the airport treats visitors to the city.

It's not good at all. Oh and one more thing. Maybe it's time for the KC area to stop handing out so much corporate welfare so they have some room to fund projects like the arena without sales and tourism fees. The rental car fee at KCI doesn't bother me, but is sure seems to **** a lot of people off. I have overheard it many times while waiting to get a car. Same with sales tax. Even at BWI sales tax was low, I think KCI was over 10%. Most of metro kc has high sales taxes though. There is not a retail project in metro KC anymore that is not some part of a tiff and how many kc companies get incentives? I gotta think that has something to do with KC's high sales taxes. Maryland has a six percent sales tax and no property taxes. And Maryland funds extensive transit systems. KC has a high sales tax and no transit to really speak of and no room to raise the sales tax to fund transit if they wanted to.

Okay, that was off topic.

Bottom line is KCI needs a new terminal. It's long overdue.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
People in KC always tell me they don't need places in to eat at KCI. Eat before you go they say.

I have a question. Why are dining places in airports so busy if nobody uses them? They don't use them at KC because they can't. There is almost none to choose from even if you do go through security twice. So the idea that people don't want to eat at airports is bogus.

BWI is not a hub airport as far as I know. Seems to be more Southwest than anything, much like KCI, and they have all kinds of places to eat in both the main terminal (which is on the secure side) and in the gate areas and all are always busy.

Anyway, to compare KCI to BWI...

I fly out of BWI about twice a month but will look at my last two flights. I flew out for thanksgiving (to KC) and this weekend I'm in Charleston, SC.

For thanksgiving, BWI was much easier to use. They had the room to set up temporary screening areas, It took about 30 minutes to check bags and go through security. That's a very long wait for BWI, but not a big deal really.

KCI has the WORST baggage carousels ever. They look like they should be serving 12 passenger prop planes, not full size jets. Very small, so even if one flight comes out you are 2-3 people deep standing around it. If two flights come out at once, forget it. What's really stupid is that you have no idea what bags are coming out or will come out. Normal airports have those fancy digital displays above the baggage carousels that say what flight/city is queued up or coming out. Not at KCI. It's a big guessing game. So after we stood there for 20 minutes, only one of our bags came off the plane. So how does southwest lose bags on a nonstop domestic flight? SW tell us to come back, they will be on the next flight to KC, a few hours later.

So we left the terminal and it took 15 minutes for a freaking rental car bus to show up and we had to walk across the street (very few crosswalks) and stand in the middle of a very narrow median and wait. It was interesting hearing others through this. They lost other people's bags too and the bizarre pick up location for the rental car bus was very annoying to some other travelers, as was the wait between buses. I'm used to it, I rent cars at KCI all the time. The new facility is great, but the terminal end sucks. At BWI, buses come to the curb, not across the lanes in the median. That's where people load and unload to stay out of the way of the buses.

So as we approach Downtown in the rental, KCI calls and says they found our bags. KCI lost them, not southwest. They blamed it on having to move bags manually as KCI doesn't have an automated baggage system, so they don't even know if they have all the bags off the plane or not before the plane goes to the next city.

So we go back to KCI and get our bags!

Flying out of KCI several days later was annoying. The rental car shuttles were not going to each individual terminal, but rather each bus was serving all terminals. In most airports, shuttle buses pick up at one end and drop off at the other because departures are separate from arrivals. At KCI, everything is mixed so buses pick up, drop off, pick up, drop off. Do you know how stupid that is and how messed up the bags on the buses can get? People get on the bus and put bags on top of the bags you needs to offload at the next stop. Again, I hear people talking about how stupid it is. You are running late for a flight and the bus has to stop six times and pick up and drop off others? At BWI, it's all on at the terminal, all off at the rental car place.

Now we are in line to check bags. KC has to be the ONLY airport that makes you drag your bags back through the line you just waited in after they weigh and tag them and take them to a big pile of bags by the xray machines. WTF? At BWI, they weigh and tag the bags and place them on the conveyer belt behind them and off they go, at KCI, they give them back to you and you have to push through the crowd with them.

We go through security and wait for our flight. Thank god, there was no delay. The gates were full and there was no place to sit. Even a 30 minute delay at KCI can be pretty rough, I know, I've been delayed at KCI. It's a terrible experience for those not used to KCI. They don't even have flight monitors to view to check flight times or possible other options if your flight is canceled, let alone food, restrooms etc.

Finally, back to BWI. walk off plane and by the time we get to the very large and spacious baggage claim area our bags are coming out and there is even a blinking sign that says "kansas city" so we know where to look!!! So nice!

We walk out and catch a curb side bus to long term parking, same as KCI (only BWI has full size buses, not, those mini buses, which would often fill up when I lived in KC.

I won't say much about my flight to Charleston. To sum it up. There was no wait for security or bag check, but I didn't check bags (people in KC think all airports take a hour to get through security). But once through security, I found out my flight was delayed 50 minutes. I was going to eat when I arrived at Charleston, but now I have the option to eat at any number of places while I kill an hour and I did. I had a quick meal and read the paper and that 50 minutes went by super fast. At KCI, that 50 minutes feels like about 3 hours.

I Land in Charleston, a city a fraction the size of KC and step off the plane into a modern terminal with restaurants, bars etc right in the gate areas and more when I reach the main terminal.

KCI is just a terrible airport. I didn't care for it while living in KC and now I can't stand it. I can put up with it and fly there a lot. But I just wanted to post all this to give people in KC and idea of how the airport treats visitors to the city.

It's not good at all. Oh and one more thing. Maybe it's time for the KC area to stop handing out so much corporate welfare so they have some room to fund projects like the arena without sales and tourism fees. The rental car fee at KCI doesn't bother me, but is sure seems to **** a lot of people off. I have overheard it many times while waiting to get a car. Same with sales tax. Even at BWI sales tax was low, I think KCI was over 10%. Most of metro kc has high sales taxes though. There is not a retail project in metro KC anymore that is not some part of a tiff and how many kc companies get incentives? I gotta think that has something to do with KC's high sales taxes. Maryland has a six percent sales tax and no property taxes. And Maryland funds extensive transit systems. KC has a high sales tax and no transit to really speak of and no room to raise the sales tax to fund transit if they wanted to.

Okay, that was off topic.

Bottom line is KCI needs a new terminal. It's long overdue.
I'm flying in to KCI this Friday... haven't been in KC for 5 years, so I'll get a refresher on the wonders of KCI lol!

Old 12-05-2011, 11:31 AM

345 posts, read 692,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'm flying in to KCI this Friday... haven't been in KC for 5 years, so I'll get a refresher on the wonders of KCI lol!
Oh yes, something to look forward to.

Are you flying Southwest? Terminal B isn't so bad. I apologize if you're flying Frontier or United

Old 12-05-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxontwinz View Post
Oh yes, something to look forward to.

Are you flying Southwest? Terminal B isn't so bad. I apologize if you're flying Frontier or United
I'll be on Frontier. I hear they're in a "dead" terminal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City