Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 02:59 PM

345 posts, read 829,966 times

Advertisements

Like it or not, change is in the air at KCI - KansasCity.com
This sounds like good news! They are pretty much saying a new airport will open by 2020. They are getting the money right now and are planning the design and new positives in the next year and a half. Then they will get an architect and start building. The airport officials want the airport to be a Charlotte or Minneapolis and a huge hub. They want the airport to have flights to London or Frankfurt.

Great news. Finally!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 04:50 PM

15,972 posts, read 9,349,039 times
And after reading it, the only crowd it seems to be "gaining momentum" with are the political elite. Typical.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:59 PM

345 posts, read 829,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
And after reading it, the only crowd it seems to be "gaining momentum" with are the political elite. Typical.
But don't you think it is gaining more monetum as a project? As an actual possiblity? It sounds more realistic than any time before.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxontwinz View Post
But don't you think it is gaining more monetum as a project? As an actual possiblity? It sounds more realistic than any time before.
It's one of those "time will tell" type of things. The aviation director has wanted a new terminal for a long time as well as most on the city council. In fact, I remember when a proposed plan was put out maybe 5 or 6 years ago that went nowhere.

I don't want to say "It'll never happen", but it'll take more than what's going on at the moment to think this is something that will be finished in the time frame they're talking about.

Does KCI have problems? Yes. Every single airport out there, even new ones, have their own issues.

Is the answer to build a new terminal? No. A vast majority of people like the airport.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:26 PM

26,399 posts, read 46,319,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
It's one of those "time will tell" type of things. The aviation director has wanted a new terminal for a long time as well as most on the city council. In fact, I remember when a proposed plan was put out maybe 5 or 6 years ago that went nowhere.

I don't want to say "It'll never happen", but it'll take more than what's going on at the moment to think this is something that will be finished in the time frame they're talking about.

Does KCI have problems? Yes. Every single airport out there, even new ones, have their own issues.

Is the answer to build a new terminal? No. A vast majority of people like the airport.
KC needs a new airport terminal. The existing terminal is completely obsolete and continues to harm the economic competiveness of KC.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
KC needs a new airport terminal. The existing terminal is completely obsolete and continues to harm the economic competiveness of KC.
The only people that seem to think so are the political cronies. In all my years there, I never heard anyone but them talk this talk. They're the same ones that said Power and Light would be a huge boost.

If a vast majority of people like it, that doesn't sound obsolete to me.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:11 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,134,725 times
Looks like Kansas City will be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the future.. or at least the present

KCI is truly horrible with today's security needs. It's either dead looking, or your crammed into the little holding area with everyone else. I enjoy flying out of DIA here in Denver. I usually get there early so I can do a little shopping or have a meal before my flight.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:23 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,749,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Looks like Kansas City will be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the future.. or at least the present
That's the way it works there. They seem to really like those 1965-1975 years.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:51 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,784,866 times
It seems those who don't realize KCI's weaknesses are the ones who don't travel often. Is great to get in/out of quickly for locals but is overall not a good design in this age. It was designed before security checkpoints so was totally open, where you'd get the services of the entire terminal from the gate. The gates weren't walled off when first opened.

It's not the 'politicos' who desire new terminals, it's anyone who travels often through KCI and those who understand eco development impact. It's a terrible design for hub activity (ever since the security gates were added).

I understand though that many think new terminals would be a waste as for locals who don't hang out in the airport, it's considered one of the easiest airports in the world. It was rated by a French airline rag a few years ago as easiest airport to deal with. Sucks though if you're between flights or need to hang out for a while. The access to cab is also an awful setup, worst I've seen in any airport - in the world, literally.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:55 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,521,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
It seems those who don't realize KCI's weaknesses are the ones who don't travel often. Is great to get in/out of quickly for locals but is overall not a good design in this age. It was designed before security checkpoints so was totally open, where you'd get the services of the entire terminal from the gate. The gates weren't walled off when first opened.

It's not the 'politicos' who desire new terminals, it's anyone who travels often through KCI and those who understand eco development impact. It's a terrible design for hub activity (ever since the security gates were added).

I understand though that many think new terminals would be a waste as for locals who don't hang out in the airport, it's considered one of the easiest airports in the world. It was rated by a French airline rag a few years ago as easiest airport to deal with. Sucks though if you're between flights or need to hang out for a while. The access to cab is also an awful setup, worst I've seen in any airport - in the world, literally.
I agree wholeheartedly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City