U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2011, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,138 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a mobile home or manufactured home in the kansas city area. Of course, I know the home won't be located in the city but the surrounding area. I want a rent to own option and I would like a community that is clean, family oriented. Any information would be great...relocating in the spring!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 10:51 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,197,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpplease! View Post
I'm looking for a mobile home or manufactured home in the kansas city area. Of course, I know the home won't be located in the city but the surrounding area. I want a rent to own option and I would like a community that is clean, family oriented. Any information would be great...relocating in the spring!
There are trailer parks in the city, the worst and most stereotypical of which are on the east edge of town along 40 highway east of Van Brunt.

One mobile home park that appears nice is only a few miles north of downtown along 169 in the center of the northland. Another one that appears decent is in Claycomo, MO, north of downtown where I-35 and 435 converge, near the Ford plant. Other nicer ones that I've actually been in that are well maintained and have pools are in Edwardsville, KS, and just east of there along K32 (Kaw Dr) in KCK.

Mobile homes are something that I'm not sure are widely accepted in KC, but I certainly understand mobile homes provide more room for a family than a comparable costing apartment, along with a yard and your own front door. The nicer of mobile home parks function just like a suburban subdivision, at least for those who are open minded and want to live within their means. Why they aren't more widespread, I'm not sure, as unfortunately most of the lowest cost housing in KC is in bad neighborhoods. But with the cheaper housing and good schools in places like Independence, Gladstone, and many of the Missouri-side suburbs, I guess I see why mobile home parks aren't more widespread. Personally, being able to own a lot and pay only a cheap HOA would make a mobile home more attractive to me, but I don't know of any parks like that in KC.

Hopefully that helps a bit, maybe somebody more familiar can be of further help.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:01 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,207,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
There are trailer parks in the city, the worst and most stereotypical of which are on the east edge of town along 40 highway east of Van Brunt.

One mobile home park that appears nice is only a few miles north of downtown along 169 in the center of the northland. Another one that appears decent is in Claycomo, MO, north of downtown where I-35 and 435 converge, near the Ford plant. Other nicer ones that I've actually been in that are well maintained and have pools are in Edwardsville, KS, and just east of there along K32 (Kaw Dr) in KCK.

Mobile homes are something that I'm not sure are widely accepted in KC, but I certainly understand mobile homes provide more room for a family than a comparable costing apartment, along with a yard and your own front door. The nicer of mobile home parks function just like a suburban subdivision, at least for those who are open minded and want to live within their means. Why they aren't more widespread, I'm not sure, as unfortunately most of the lowest cost housing in KC is in bad neighborhoods. But with the cheaper housing and good schools in places like Independence, Gladstone, and many of the Missouri-side suburbs, I guess I see why mobile home parks aren't more widespread. Personally, being able to own a lot and pay only a cheap HOA would make a mobile home more attractive to me, but I don't know of any parks like that in KC.

Hopefully that helps a bit, maybe somebody more familiar can be of further help.

One word: Tornados

Old 11-27-2011, 01:56 PM

148 posts, read 341,627 times
Tornados/storms and but reason is very cheap housing, already. A little different than say...Florida where there are a lot of clean well taken care of "communities."

Old 11-28-2011, 07:50 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,207,945 times
^That's a very good point.

It should also be noted that like cars, mobile homes actually depreciate in value over time, so buying one is likely a rather bad investment.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:24 PM

5 posts, read 6,260 times
You might do well on Craigslist. There are a few parks in western KCK, Olathe, way south on 69 in Louisburg, and on 71 in Belton. Best bet is to get on CL and plug in "mobile", "manufactured", and "double wide" into the search. I think you'll find livable units in th $10k range and pretty good ones in the $20-40K range.

In the same price range you could find an old house. It would be well worn and in an undesireable part of town. Mobiles depreciate, but I wouldn't expect massive gains in old urban core homes either. This metro area prefers to develop distant farmland than revitalize close in areas. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or