U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 02:14 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,296,193 times

Advertisements

Wait, where is Johnson City, KS? Now I'm super confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 02:42 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,233,600 times
I think "Kansas City" needs to be listed beside Wichita as a Kansas sub-forum, but direct you to the same Kansas City forum. That is assuming the forum software will allow it.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:06 AM

8,858 posts, read 9,686,815 times
If there is a Johnson City Kansas I'm sure it could not compare to Kansas City with regard to your expectations. If you are indeed referring to Johnson County Kansas then you don't have to choose, Most of the old timers still refer to Johnson County as Overland Park even though it comprises a hand full of cities.

IMO the highways system surrounding both cities is comparable to highway systems in cities with a lot more population. That means a person can select from various parts of the metropolitan area the best place to live, work, and entertain themselves with out having to concentrate their entire lives within a fraction of the metropolitan area.

Whether you are an arts supporter, patron or participant I would think KCMO is going to be more attractive for that part of your life. As far as being bi-racial or gay what ever prevailing attitudes would be regional and crossing the river might not make that much difference.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 12-03-2011 at 12:35 PM..

Old 12-03-2011, 11:19 AM

35,835 posts, read 39,635,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSL-NE View Post
Oh! Thank you for your replies everyone, but I was actually referring to Johnson City, Kansas. It seems like a very up-and-coming city with most of what I'm looking for.

BTW, This thread started in the Kansas forum, but got moved to Missouri...not sure why. :S
OP, you probably need to do some better homework.

Johnson CITY, Kansas, is a tiny town of under 2,000 residents in western Kansas near the Colorado border. I could be completely off-base, but I would be very surprised if it is one that is generally considered up-and-coming by those who self-profess to be interested in the arts and urban lifestyles.

Are you absolutely sure you're not thinking of Johnson COUNTY, Kansas, which is a collection of suburban communities adjacent to the urban center of Kansas City, MISSOURI?

Old 12-03-2011, 12:23 PM

20,249 posts, read 34,649,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Wait, where is Johnson City, KS? Now I'm super confused.
Stanton County, KS by the Colorado border.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:25 PM

20,249 posts, read 34,649,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
If there is a Johnson City Kansas I'm sure it could not compare to Kansas City with regard to your expectations. If you are indeed referring to Johnson County Kansas then you don't have to choose, Most of the old timers still refer to Johnson County as Overland Park even though it comprises a hand full of city's.

IMO the highways system surrounding both cities is comparable to highway systems in cities with a lot more population. That means a person can select from various parts of the metropolitan area the best place to live, work, and entertain themselves with out having to concentrate their entire lives within a fraction of the metropolitan area.

Whether you are an arts supporter, patron or participant I would think KCMO is going to be more attractive for that part of your life. As far as being bi-racial or gay what ever prevailing attitudes would be regional and crossing the river might not make that much difference.
The maintenance for all of those highways down the road will be a big problem, especially if federal highway spending gets cut. The costs will be downshifted to the state level to make up the difference. Of course this probably will have no negative impact to Johnson County since the state funnels nearly all of its revenue and energy into the county at the expense of nearly everything else.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:41 PM

148 posts, read 342,779 times
This is the most confusing thread I've ever seen on here, and that's saying something.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:24 PM

10,716 posts, read 18,604,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Because there is no Kansas City forum for Kansas. Although Johnson County is in Kansas, it's part of the Kansas City metro area and the center of the metro area, downtown Kansas City, is in Missouri. Not to be confused with downtown Kansas City, Kansas, which is a dump of a city on the Kansas side and more a suburb of Kansas City, MO. Confused?
Yea, considering the lack of interaction by the OP, I would almost say this has to be a bogus thread. Some very tiny small town in SW Kansas vs KCK for somebody that wants a gay friendly, artsy urban area with nightlife?

Seriously?

I think if the OP is serious, which I don't think he is, then Lawrence or Kansas City, MO would probably be the two towns. He's being specific to Kansas though.

Whatever, I think we have all been played.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 544 times
Ive lived in KC,MO as a gay man for 18 years. I've lived in the midtown, downtown, country club plaza/Westport....and currently the suburbs. I would recommend plaza/Westport or the crossroads district in midtown. These areas would provide the lifestyle you describe. Many different residential options are in these areas. You WILL need a car in KC, public transportation is poor....Kansas Citians love their SUVs and trucks....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or