Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 09:21 PM

109 posts, read 279,856 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, planning a move from Omaha to the great state of Kansas. I am considering the two towns listed in the title. A little info about me: I'm biracial and gay, I have a love for the performing arts. I love urban lifestyles. I work in photography, so I will need to be someplace where there would be available work. A good nightlife scene would also be desired, i.e. bars, clubs, (gay) bars. I would also like to be some place closer to really good shopping, and somewhere with a vibrant downtown. A nice skyline is a plus. So what do you guys think? Johnson City or Kansas City?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 10:31 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,447,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSL-NE View Post
Hello everyone, planning a move from Omaha to the great state of Kansas. I am considering the two towns listed in the title. A little info about me: I'm biracial and gay, I have a love for the performing arts. I love urban lifestyles. I work in photography, so I will need to be someplace where there would be available work. A good nightlife scene would also be desired, i.e. bars, clubs, (gay) bars. I would also like to be some place closer to really good shopping, and somewhere with a vibrant downtown. A nice skyline is a plus. So what do you guys think? Johnson City or Kansas City?
You mean johnson county?

You would be much better off in the Urban Core from River Market to the Plaza. everything you mentioned is in that area

Old 11-27-2011, 10:43 PM

3,483 posts, read 8,959,095 times
If you're thinking Johnson City, TN i'd recommend Kansas City. If you're thinking Johnson County, i'd recommend closer to Kansas City as well, especially if you're wanting an urban vibe. PS, ever consider St. Louis

Old 11-28-2011, 08:49 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,485,827 times
Yes, OP coe back and tell us if you mean Johnson City, TN or something else.

If I were biracial and gay, I'd move to the most urban city I liked and could afford. And, even though you didn't ask, I'd be inclined to agree with flynavy -- St. Louis could be a great option for you.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:12 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,447,017 times
I really think KC has an edge over St Louis in terms of performing arts, it seems like kc has a ton of theaters and art things for the city of it's size

Old 11-28-2011, 10:34 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,778,939 times
Yeah, STL has more urban infrastructure but KC seems to be quite a bit stronger in the arts, especially in the area of galleries, graphic arts, writing and theatre. Check out the Crossroads (Xroads) area downtown, which has about 50-60 galleries. Is surprising how many artists in town who make a full time living as one. And Hallmark is based in KC, which brings a lot of commercial work. My artists friends who come from elsewhere say they find better 'networking' between artists than in most other art oriented cities, helping each other find freelance work. Several Xroads galleries also have ties to coastal galleries and swap works.

The First Friday's in KC is pretty cool, nothing like it in the rest of the midwest. Is apparently one of the most concentrated gallery districts in the US. I bought a ceramic piece from a recent FF. When picking it up a few days later, about 80% of the pieces they had out were sold. They were busy making another batch (all unique pieces) for the next FF. The couple (not from KC, former art institute students) makes a full time living and do not have to work on the side.

As far as 'gayness' of a city if that's important to you, KC made the top 25 list for number of gay couples from the census. STL was slightly higher in % but KC was higher in numbers. KC showed higher % of gay couples than NYC but I wouldn't take much stock in it. If you want to be centered around gay people, you can be if you choose to be. It seems that midtown leans more gay than straight but KC doesn't have a need for a 'gay ghetto'.

Here's a list of lofts in Xroads/downtown area...
http://216.119.82.16/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/2010-Housing-Data-Sheet-3rd-Quarter1.pdf (broken link)

HEre's a city guide...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1238514/pics/bus/maxmwk.gif

Last edited by xenokc; 11-28-2011 at 12:03 PM..

Old 11-28-2011, 12:16 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,778,939 times
BTW, here's a gallery guide for Xroads...

The Pitch Gallery Guide, November 3, 2011

Old 11-29-2011, 01:16 PM

109 posts, read 279,856 times
Oh! Thank you for your replies everyone, but I was actually referring to Johnson City, Kansas. It seems like a very up-and-coming city with most of what I'm looking for.

BTW, This thread started in the Kansas forum, but got moved to Missouri...not sure why. :S

Old 11-29-2011, 01:30 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,715,042 times
Johnson "City", KS is an itty bitty town in southwestern Kansas and Kansas City, "Kansas" is a blue collar industrial suburb of Kansas City, MO

Neither of which would seem to be something that would fit what you describe that you want.

So people just assumed you were talking about the large and developed suburban Johnson "County", KS vs the urban city living options available in Kansas City, "Missouri".

This is a very confusing thread.

Last edited by kcmo; 11-29-2011 at 02:22 PM..

Old 11-29-2011, 01:32 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,104,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSL-NE View Post
Oh! Thank you for your replies everyone, but I was actually referring to Johnson City, Kansas. It seems like a very up-and-coming city with most of what I'm looking for.

BTW, This thread started in the Kansas forum, but got moved to Missouri...not sure why. :S
Because there is no Kansas City forum for Kansas. Although Johnson County is in Kansas, it's part of the Kansas City metro area and the center of the metro area, downtown Kansas City, is in Missouri. Not to be confused with downtown Kansas City, Kansas, which is a dump of a city on the Kansas side and more a suburb of Kansas City, MO. Confused?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City