U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 07:21 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,233,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Here ya go! Feel better now?

Fox 4 struggles with death of meteorologist Don Harman - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/30/3294934/fox-4-struggles-with-word-of-harmans.html - broken link)

Fox 4, WDAF, held off announcing the news of Harman’s death because it wanted to reach Harman’s 79-year-old father, Gordon, in Ohio. But he was traveling, and in the 18 hours that it took to locate him, word leaked out of the station and onto social networks and blogs.

Fox 4’s dilemma in reporting Harman’s death was understandable, said Robert Steele, who teaches journalism ethics at DePauw University in Indiana.

“At some point, however, it’s very difficult to hold back on the story about this person who is very much a public figure,” Steele said. “It can be challenging finding that balance between reporting the truth, which is a journalistic obligation, and minimizing harm, which is a professional obligation

Read more: Fox 4 struggles with death of meteorologist Don Harman - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/30/3294934/fox-4-struggles-with-word-of-harmans.html#ixzz1fI6gHq3f - broken link)

Read more: Fox 4 struggles with death of meteorologist Don Harman - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/30/3294934/fox-4-struggles-with-word-of-harmans.html#ixzz1fI6BbnLJ - broken link)
The bolded makes it seem very much as though he agreed with me. I've taken several journalism ethics courses, and I'm not saying there's not room for discussion about what is right and what isn't. Social media and the internet have changed the way business is done however, and nothing can stay under wraps for long. By not reporting the story -- and I don't just mean Fox by the way (we also have NBC, CBS and ABC affiliates) -- they created a firestorm on the internet and caused more pain than I think was necessary.

It also only further instills in younger people that the traditional news outlets like television and print are not the best source of current information; something that will only further hurt the industry.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 07:25 AM

35,821 posts, read 39,419,773 times
I really, really dislike social media in instances like this. I really don't feel that I NEED to know about somebody's suicide before their family does, personally.

I was a print journalist for nearly a decade, so I'm pretty well-versed in journalistic ethics, but the vulture thing was never for me.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:10 AM

15,297 posts, read 7,157,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
He certainly did exhibit tendencies of depression as well as social ackwardness.
How so?

Old 12-01-2011, 10:14 AM

15,297 posts, read 7,157,438 times
I never was much for morning news, but I always did like the morning cast on channel 4. Don was a funny guy, that's for sure.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:56 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,233,747 times
Another inteesting piece on the difficult ethics behind reporting this story: News Director Peggy Phillip Explains Why KSHB Reported Don Harman’s Suicide - TVSpy

Old 12-02-2011, 05:14 PM

20,177 posts, read 34,521,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
He certainly did exhibit tendencies of depression as well as social ackwardness. But jeez, he was a lovely person. He may not have known it though. I'm not sure why as I didn't know Don personally, but this brings tears to my eyes. It's so sad. It's a good reason for all of us to let others we interact with everyday know they are appreciated. I will truly miss Don Harman, as I'm sure many others will.
I would wager he had Aspergers Syndrome, on the Autism Spectrum- yet very high functioning. I knew several people that were very similar in personality. Depression often haunts those with the syndrome. It is such a loss for the community. It is too bad the warning signs weren't acknowledged sooner. One has to wonder if video clips of the prior days pointed to signs that were much more troubling.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:42 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,205,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I would wager he had Aspergers Syndrome, on the Autism Spectrum- yet very high functioning. I knew several people that were very similar in personality. Depression often haunts those with the syndrome. It is such a loss for the community. It is too bad the warning signs weren't acknowledged sooner. One has to wonder if video clips of the prior days pointed to signs that were much more troubling.

I don't doubt what you see, but I don't know understand Aspergers. Isn't it a mild, subtle form of autism that's difficult to detect? My basic understanding of autism in general is that in severe cases a child or person isn't concious of other people in their presence and caessentially can't "tune" into a channel of awareness of people in their prescence. Like, an autistic person may be so concentrated on something like a video game that they wouldn't notice if a group of people gathered around them let alone what's going on between those other people. And in milder cases it might be that the affected person has difficulties with subtleties and takes figures of speech or whatever literally. I understand the autistic syndromes to basically be the inability to really connect with other people on a certain level and in varying degrees of severity.

Does that sound about right?

But surely it doesn't mean all people who are aloof, loners, have a hard time fitting in, or have a hard time making friends are affected by a form of autism. How do you differentiate autism from a host of other things like social anxiety, disinterest, ADD, general geekiness, etc.

I mean, if you throw a nerdy smart guy into a frat/sorority type party or group he will be awkward and not fit in all that naturally because his personality type is different. And while I know they were good friends Don was kind of the geeky type guy and Mark is more of a suave type guy and Loren almost seems like a sex kitten type woman for the lack of a better way to say it. Particularly with Loren thrown into the mix, the energy might have been kind of weird on the morning show and I think I always recognized that. I'm not really assuming you were talking about th interaction on the morning show, but that's what I have to go by.

All in all though I could see how something like mild Aspergers could contribute to depression, anxiety, and possibly lead to suicide. Not being able to quite fully connect to others and knowing you're different somehow but not knowing exactly why or how is or could be devastating to one's psychology.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:29 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,528,878 times
Oh, wow. Just now saw this. He was one of my favorites in KC.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:54 AM

30 posts, read 33,047 times
People who commit suicide are not being selfish, although it seems that way to those they leave behind. A suicidal person truly believes that their family and friends are better off without them. In their mind, they feel they are being selfless, not selfish. This (false) realization is often one of the final phases before a person attempts to take their own like. So if you ever hear someone make a statement like that, they need help.

People don't take their own life because of a single event, such as losing their job, or a breakup. Something like that might be the catalyst, but there are many phases a person goes through before taking their own life. Their mind is not functioning properly.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:24 AM

9,375 posts, read 8,752,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmama View Post
People who commit suicide are not being selfish, although it seems that way to those they leave behind. A suicidal person truly believes that their family and friends are better off without them. In their mind, they feel they are being selfless, not selfish. This (false) realization is often one of the final phases before a person attempts to take their own like. So if you ever hear someone make a statement like that, they need help.

People don't take their own life because of a single event, such as losing their job, or a breakup. Something like that might be the catalyst, but there are many phases a person goes through before taking their own life. Their mind is not functioning properly.
Excellent posting! People who judge and claim it was a selfish act are those who "usually" are thinking rationally and are not clinically depressed...they are 'in their right mind' in other words. Those who commit suicide are not in their right mind or they would never have contemplated it in the first place.

Very scary that some of the anti-depressant medications can cause a person to think suicidal...Prozac being one in particular. It is very frightening that medication that is supposed to reduce depression can actually bring forth suicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City