Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 07:31 PM

36 posts, read 52,871 times

Advertisements

I have a "foodie" friend visiting next weekend... Wanna create a little taste of KC trip for her. Trying to put together a list... Name your top 5!!!! Can be any cuisine, any price point, and any location within the metro. Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 08:23 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
This is tough, just five???

Jack Stack BBQ and Gates BBQ for two distinct local bbq places. (this counts as one!)

Garozzo's in Columbus Park for local Italian or Lidia's in the freighthouse

Bristol for seafood downtown.

Pierponts in Union Station or Plaza III Steakhouse for steaks.

I tried to keep it at five, but that's just not possible. There are so many more.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:26 AM

118 posts, read 190,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
This is tough, just five???

Jack Stack BBQ and Gates BBQ for two distinct local bbq places. (this counts as one!)

Garozzo's in Columbus Park for local Italian or Lidia's in the freighthouse

Bristol for seafood downtown.

Pierponts in Union Station or Plaza III Steakhouse for steaks.

I tried to keep it at five, but that's just not possible. There are so many more.
We could probably give you five BBQ places and be done except then you wouldn't get to have any yummy steak

I second the Jack Stack BBQ (The one at 95th and metcalf). Nice atmosphere, great food..

I would also add Stroud's Pan Fried Chicken. So yummy...

Plaza III is a very nice place in a very nice area so that could kill two birds with one stone - nice food and you're at the country club plaza

You might also want to see what others say about the Peppercorn Duck Club (fancy schmancy place)

Old 07-08-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassad View Post
We could probably give you five BBQ places and be done except then you wouldn't get to have any yummy steak

I second the Jack Stack BBQ (The one at 95th and metcalf). Nice atmosphere, great food..

I would also add Stroud's Pan Fried Chicken. So yummy...

Plaza III is a very nice place in a very nice area so that could kill two birds with one stone - nice food and you're at the country club plaza

You might also want to see what others say about the Peppercorn Duck Club (fancy schmancy place)
kassad, have you been to the jack stack downtown (freighthouse)? Just currious as to why you would recommend the metcalf location over the freighthouse. The charm and ambiance of the freighthouse location is much of what makes jack stack so good in my opinion, especially for an out of towner. The Jack Stack on the Plaza is in a neat area, but I would also skip that place for sure and go to the downtown location, so this is not a ks vs mo issue. I Just think the downtown jackstack is much better than the other locations.

I do second Stroud's though!

Old 07-08-2011, 07:39 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,463,120 times
Strouds is so nasty, the chicken has no flavor and the sides low grade cafeteria food, i will come up with a great list, hold tight

Old 07-08-2011, 07:48 AM

I will try my best, i will give you a list of more then five, so maybe you can pick one from each category

Top 5 (Expensive- Over 25 a plate)
1. Blue Stem - Westport - James Beard nominated Chef
2. Justus Drugstore - Smithville - Excellent drinks and food
3. Micheal Smith - James Beard Winner
4. Pachamamas - Lawerence - American Eclectic Cuisine
5. Webster House - Crossroads - Nice view of PAC and the antiques inside are nice

Top 5 (Moderate 17-25 a plate)
1. Grunauer - Austrian/German Fare - Freighthouse - Excellent atmophere and food/cocktails
2. Julian - Brookside - Celina Tio who is making a name nationwide, her flagship restaurant, good comfort fare done well
3. Extra Virgin - Crossroads - Michael Smiths Tapas place, will be featured on TV soon
4. Westport Cafe and Bar - Westport - Nice french bistro
5. Potpie - Westport - Comfort Food Fine Dining

Inexpensive/Lunch Place
- El Camino Real - KCK - Authentic Mexican (Not Tex-Mex covered in cheese crap) and Al Pastor that rivals Mexico City
- Vietnam Cafe - Columbus Park - Great Neighborhood, really great food
- Happy Gillis Cafe - Columbus Park - Nice Brunch/Lunch Spot
- LC's BBQ - Blue Parkway KC - Best Burnt Ends and Fries on earth
- Oklahoma Joes - Westwood KS - Good BBQ
- El Pollo Rey -KCK - Best Wood Fired Chicken in Town - similar to the Peruvian Chicken places in DC
- D Bronx - 39th and State Line - Great Pizza
- Grinders - Crossroads - Great Pizza and Atmosphere
- Beer Kitchen - Westport - Awesome Fries and great Burgers
- Westport Flea Market - Great Burgers

Sweets
1. Christopher Elbow Chocolates -Crossroads- Has won many awards
2. Glace Ice Cream - South Plaza - Christopher Elbows Ice Cream Shop, many great flavors, they even do a Beer flavored ice cream (Flavors change all the time)
3. Upper Crust Bakery Inside Prydes - Best Cookie and Pies on Earth (The banana cookie covered in Burnt Sugar Frosting) - Only open Friday and Saturday

Old 07-08-2011, 08:04 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,804,424 times
^Pretty good list. Bluestem has a great lounge though that is reasonably priced. Can get a few plates and drinks for $50 for 2. I would always take a foodie there. The dining side is easily over $100 per person but is also worth it - James Beard category eats.

Justus Drugstore is also in James Beard category as is Julian.

For breakfast...
You Say Tomato - 28th/Holmes - quirky 1920s feel, cool place, great bfast (bfast casserole and croissant are my faves)
Succotash - 26th/Holmes - excessively hipster poor service, great weekend brunch, the brunch is worth the poor service, weekdays not as good
Chez Elle Creperie - 17th/Summit - pretty good breakfast crepes, cool place

A few other cheap eats in addition to above
Zaina (mediterranean counter) - downtown
Aladdin Cafe (mediterranean) - w39th
Marrakech Cafe (moroccan) - westport
Blue Koi (asian fusion) - w39th
Korma Sutra (indian) - westport

Some other street Mexican in KCK other than El Camino...
Ninfa's
San Antonio Tortilleria

Last edited by xenokc; 07-08-2011 at 08:15 AM..

Old 07-08-2011, 08:05 AM

good list brewcrew. you broke the five place rule though! I would add the best BLT ever at the Downtown Peanut on 10th Street.

I have not eaten at Strouds in many many years and have never been to their new place, but only when they were on 85th under the troost bridge. Are they not as good or were they just overated in the first place?

Old 07-08-2011, 08:16 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,804,424 times
I liked Strouds 20 years ago but they have really gone down hill I think. You taste the injections in the chicken more than anything else.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:20 AM

Also, forgot to mention the Port Fonda Airstream trailer in the parking lot of 19th and Main. It's suppose to have some great Mexican Cuisine and the chef studied under Rick Bayless who is a famous chef in Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City