U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-06-2011, 02:50 PM
 
48,897 posts, read 39,392,211 times
Reputation: 30554

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That is true.
The ones in south Overland Park often dictate that cars can't be parked on the street, the color of your house, the height of your grass, the type of tree you can't plant etc. They control all aspects of your life.
Absolutely. I've done A LOT of work to my place the last decade or so and the only thing I went and got approval for was my house color which they were pretty laid back about as long as I didn't want to do something *crazy*.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2011, 01:00 PM
 
19 posts, read 43,646 times
Reputation: 12
Is anyone familiar with the DeSoto area? I know it is further out, but there appear to be homes without HOAs out there. Is it somewhere we would want to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2011, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Kansas City North
3,625 posts, read 6,761,752 times
Reputation: 4630
DeSoto is a former little rural town which has been swallowed up by suburbia. It encompasses quite a large area. Some traditional JoCo subdivisions, some houses on acreage, etc.

If you are really concerned about HOAs, I suggest if you find a house you like then go to the Johnson County courthouse and read the covenants of that subdivision, which should be recorded there. (I don't think there's anywhere to see JoCo's on line). If the only restrictions are common ones such as property setbacks, boat parking, etc. then there's not much an HOA can go after you for. If it's loaded with the need for approvals for outside alterations, paint colors, etc. then that might give you pause.

I don't think the Kansas City area has as big a problem with crazy HOAs like some of the country does. Maybe in some condo or townhouse developments. I'm sure someone here will chime in with their own horror stories if they have any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2011, 02:55 PM
 
19 posts, read 43,646 times
Reputation: 12
Thanks for the suggestion, Okey Dokie. One of my concerns about HOAs is that what begins as laid back can change depending on the whims of the members and/or board. We had that experience in another state, and really don't want to relive any part of it!

We moved to a neighborhood with a very relaxed HOA. Dues were $190/year and the only common interest was a small piece of cul-de-sac that was for rain run off. Shortly after we bought our home, they switched management companies (which conveniently charged us for their services just about exactly what we collected in dues every year). The new company had the vision of a "better" community, and encouraged the board to become very strict in enforcing (and passing) new restrictions. I volunteered as a member of the board with the sole intent to KEEP the HOA from being instrusive, and served for many years. But several other people volunteered who were neighborhood busy-bodies and felt their calling was to force everyone to stop doing anything they didn't personally like. It became a very miserable experience--both being on the board and living in the community. The final straw was submitting colors for repainting my house. I wanted to paint my door "chocolate" brown--and was refused because my brown paint chip was on a color card that included some purple hues, "and we don't allow purple." It took a petition from every family on the street (none of which cared what color my door was, and ironically, the houses were such that none of the doors were even visible from the street or sidewalk, you had to actually walk up to them to be seen).

For this reason, we're a little gun-shy, even about HOAs that don't seem to be intrusive, because from experience we've learned that even that can change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 08:36 AM
 
48,897 posts, read 39,392,211 times
Reputation: 30554
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentah View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, Okey Dokie. One of my concerns about HOAs is that what begins as laid back can change depending on the whims of the members and/or board. We had that experience in another state, and really don't want to relive any part of it!

We moved to a neighborhood with a very relaxed HOA. Dues were $190/year and the only common interest was a small piece of cul-de-sac that was for rain run off. Shortly after we bought our home, they switched management companies (which conveniently charged us for their services just about exactly what we collected in dues every year). The new company had the vision of a "better" community, and encouraged the board to become very strict in enforcing (and passing) new restrictions. I volunteered as a member of the board with the sole intent to KEEP the HOA from being instrusive, and served for many years. But several other people volunteered who were neighborhood busy-bodies and felt their calling was to force everyone to stop doing anything they didn't personally like. It became a very miserable experience--both being on the board and living in the community. The final straw was submitting colors for repainting my house. I wanted to paint my door "chocolate" brown--and was refused because my brown paint chip was on a color card that included some purple hues, "and we don't allow purple." It took a petition from every family on the street (none of which cared what color my door was, and ironically, the houses were such that none of the doors were even visible from the street or sidewalk, you had to actually walk up to them to be seen).

For this reason, we're a little gun-shy, even about HOAs that don't seem to be intrusive, because from experience we've learned that even that can change.
There is a bunch of open land out between Lenexa and Desoto where you can live without an HOA.

Only 2 potential downsides are that the Desoto schools are generally considered to be not as good and secondly you may add a lot of commute time.

Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 09:47 AM
 
Location: KC
385 posts, read 810,018 times
Reputation: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There is a bunch of open land out between Lenexa and Desoto where you can live without an HOA.

Only 2 potential downsides are that the Desoto schools are generally considered to be not as good and secondly you may add a lot of commute time.

Good luck with your decision.
Desoto Schools are great schools, so you definately won't have to worry about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 08:31 AM
 
48,897 posts, read 39,392,211 times
Reputation: 30554
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer88 View Post
Desoto Schools are great schools, so you definately won't have to worry about that.
I didn't say anything about them not being good....just made a comparison between the two.

De soto highschool reading, math, science proficiency in the 50-60%'s

SMNW highschool reading, math, science proficiency in the 60-75%'s

Shawnee Mission Northwest,High School,Johnson County, Kansas

De Soto High School,High School,Johnson County, Kansas

Granted, this isn't an indictment of the teaching quality or anything and would certainly have some demographical causation.

Hey, it's not like he's talking about sending his kids to KCMO public schools etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 09:58 AM
 
Location: IN
20,170 posts, read 34,488,778 times
Reputation: 12508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I didn't say anything about them not being good....just made a comparison between the two.

De soto highschool reading, math, science proficiency in the 50-60%'s

SMNW highschool reading, math, science proficiency in the 60-75%'s

Shawnee Mission Northwest,High School,Johnson County, Kansas

De Soto High School,High School,Johnson County, Kansas

Granted, this isn't an indictment of the teaching quality or anything and would certainly have some demographical causation.

Hey, it's not like he's talking about sending his kids to KCMO public schools etc.
I'd recommend Lawrence area schools over DeSoto if one is going to live that far out anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 11:00 AM
 
Location: KC
385 posts, read 810,018 times
Reputation: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I didn't say anything about them not being good....just made a comparison between the two.

De soto highschool reading, math, science proficiency in the 50-60%'s

SMNW highschool reading, math, science proficiency in the 60-75%'s

Shawnee Mission Northwest,High School,Johnson County, Kansas

De Soto High School,High School,Johnson County, Kansas

Granted, this isn't an indictment of the teaching quality or anything and would certainly have some demographical causation.

Hey, it's not like he's talking about sending his kids to KCMO public schools etc.
I probably shouldn't have quoted your response as mine was just a genearal response. Overall I agree that sometimes they can be perceived differently but I was just saying the differences in quality of education are going to be very minimal, so nothing to "worry" about. The majority of students in the Desoto school district live in Suburban Shawnee, not rural Desoto. Desoto is the name of the district but the town of 4,000 isn't a good indication of the culture or the district demographics for the most part. There is a mix of demographics but more than anything Desoto is a suburban district similar to the area of Shawnee Mission NW just newer. So it will not be a vastly different experience than any other suburban school district in the metro. One positive to Desoto High is it's size at 600+ students as opposed to it's district counterpart Mill Valley at 1200. Desoto High offers much of the same opportunities in classes and activities but because there are less students you can be involved in more things. For middle school that area attends a third district Middle School called Mill Creek which splits 70/30 between MV and Desoto high. While Mill Creek is in a developing/rural area it is largely attended by Suburban Shawnee neighborhoods and is similar in demographics to Mill Valley.

Hope this clears the air a bit

neer88

Last edited by pioneer88; 12-19-2011 at 11:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 02:33 PM
 
29,988 posts, read 35,855,551 times
Reputation: 12719
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I'd recommend Lawrence area schools over DeSoto if one is going to live that far out anyway.
It is not "that far out" anymore. 87th St. is 4-lane to K-7 now and there is development all along the way, both commercial/office/light industry & residential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top