U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 02:34 PM

48,920 posts, read 39,401,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer88 View Post
I probably shouldn't have quoted your response as mine was just a genearal response. Overall I agree that sometimes they can be perceived differently but I was just saying the differences in quality of education are going to be very minimal, so nothing to "worry" about. The majority of students in the Desoto school district live in Suburban Shawnee, not rural Desoto. Desoto is the name of the district but the town of 4,000 isn't a good indication of the culture or the district demographics for the most part. There is a mix of demographics but more than anything Desoto is a suburban district similar to the area of Shawnee Mission NW just newer. So it will not be a vastly different experience than any other suburban school district in the metro. One positive to Desoto High is it's size at 600+ students as opposed to it's district counterpart Mill Valley at 1200. Desoto High offers much of the same opportunities in classes and activities but because there are less students you can be involved in more things. For middle school that area attends a third district Middle School called Mill Creek which splits 70/30 between MV and Desoto high. While Mill Creek is in a developing/rural area it is largely attended by Suburban Shawnee neighborhoods and is similar in demographics to Mill Valley.

Hope this clears the air a bit

neer88
Excellent post. Great explanation about the school size too which may be an important consideration for some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 02:35 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,862,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentah View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, Okey Dokie. One of my concerns about HOAs is that what begins as laid back can change depending on the whims of the members and/or board. We had that experience in another state, and really don't want to relive any part of it!

We moved to a neighborhood with a very relaxed HOA. Dues were $190/year and the only common interest was a small piece of cul-de-sac that was for rain run off. Shortly after we bought our home, they switched management companies (which conveniently charged us for their services just about exactly what we collected in dues every year). The new company had the vision of a "better" community, and encouraged the board to become very strict in enforcing (and passing) new restrictions. I volunteered as a member of the board with the sole intent to KEEP the HOA from being instrusive, and served for many years. But several other people volunteered who were neighborhood busy-bodies and felt their calling was to force everyone to stop doing anything they didn't personally like. It became a very miserable experience--both being on the board and living in the community. The final straw was submitting colors for repainting my house. I wanted to paint my door "chocolate" brown--and was refused because my brown paint chip was on a color card that included some purple hues, "and we don't allow purple." It took a petition from every family on the street (none of which cared what color my door was, and ironically, the houses were such that none of the doors were even visible from the street or sidewalk, you had to actually walk up to them to be seen).

For this reason, we're a little gun-shy, even about HOAs that don't seem to be intrusive, because from experience we've learned that even that can change.
Speaking of which. Be certain to see where your potential purchase lay in relationship to MillCreek Rifle Club and to Powder Creek. Gunshy folks shouldn't live near gunfire.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:43 AM

19 posts, read 43,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Speaking of which. Be certain to see where your potential purchase lay in relationship to MillCreek Rifle Club and to Powder Creek. Gunshy folks shouldn't live near gunfire.
Thanks for the tip! but I'm probably more concerned about bossy HOAs than flying bullets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City