U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 03:58 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
Because of the bad areas, KC is ranked #9 most dangerous.

This will be my last post in this forum.
You continue to post wrong/outdated information so is probably good this is your last post. I've pointed out other times that is from 2009. Was around 21st in 2010 and 17th last year, with slightly lower crime and growth, may come in at bit better this year.

I don't think you've ever posted helpful/accurate info so can see why you'd leave.

No doubt parts of the E Side have serious issues. For the most part I wouldn't point someone there but at the same time I know a few who live 'E of Troost' and have no major issues, not enough to want to leave. Leaving something in yard is asking for trouble in the city, in any city hood. Some areas of E Side are worse than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 04:41 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,197,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
You continue to post wrong/outdated information so is probably good this is your last post. I've pointed out other times that is from 2009. Was around 21st in 2010 and 17th last year, with slightly lower crime and growth, may come in at bit better this year.

I don't think you've ever posted helpful/accurate info so can see why you'd leave.

No doubt parts of the E Side have serious issues. For the most part I wouldn't point someone there but at the same time I know a few who live 'E of Troost' and have no major issues, not enough to want to leave. Leaving something in yard is asking for trouble in the city, in any city hood. Some areas of E Side are worse than others.
You're nitpicking. Those "most dangerous city" rankings aren't perfectly accurate. Cities don't change so drastically in a year or even a few years time. The rankings merely give a general idea of what the most dangerous cities in the country are. Kansas City shows up on the lists amongst the worst regularly - that's what's significant.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:56 PM

Not really a nitpick when the stats show improvement from 9th to around 20th.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Not really a nitpick when the stats show improvement from 9th to around 20th.
Did KCMO improve or did other cities get worse?

Old 01-02-2013, 05:04 PM

I don't know for sure but it's pretty clear that downtown has cleaned up recently compared 10-15 years ago. Midtown/Westport is generally better. Armour used to be awful and is now attracting single girls from the burbs. E Side is still a problem but it's not the _entire_ E side. So yeah, maybe some improvement.

I'm not trying to downplay that E Side has _major_ issues but let's not post misinformation or outdated info. If there is improvement, acknowledge it instead of intentionally picking the worst year to support an uninformed point.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:13 PM

I agree with you that improvements to certain parts of the city have occured. At the same time, I don't think they have anything to do with overall crime rates. Improvements in tiny areas just pushes any crime that was occuring there elsewhere. I guess the more good people there are in the city, the lower their chances of being preyed on by the predators that cohabitate urban KCMO.

What sucks about KCMO is that Troost Avenue as a divide means that no matter what good part of urban KCMO you're in, you're often within several blocks and always within a couple miles of the ghetto. That's because the urban core is long north to south and narrow east to west, with Troost running north to south and splitting the good areas (west of Troost) from bad areas (east of Troost). It's amazing how abrupt and instant the transformation is on one side of Troost or the other - visually, and in terms of demographics, property values and whether crime is psychologically cued as being more "okay". West of Troost "they call the popo's". East of Troost "they don't snitch".

Last edited by MOKAN; 01-02-2013 at 05:21 PM..

Old 01-02-2013, 05:29 PM

For those who might be viewing this thread and unsure about what the "Troost divide" looks like, here's Troost Avenue highlighted in Google maps:

1200 Troost Ave, Kansas City, MO 64106 to 9500 Troost Ave, Kansas City, MO 64131 - Google Maps

Here's an illustration of the abrupt racial divide that Troost serves as. Keep in mind the racal divide coincides with a sharp difference in crime, property values, class, income, etc. It's a very stark divide and very abrupt divide:

STI: ERsys - Kansas City, MO (Ethnicity)

Old 01-02-2013, 05:57 PM

376 posts, read 429,532 times
jason87x, your use of the term "*******" and claim that the City-Data forum is for propagating the liberal agenda mark you as a ranting fool. Good riddance.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:42 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
My church is on Troost, and I've yet to have a single problem there. My car has been both broken into and vandalized when parked at home on the Plaza, though, and when I lived just off Lee's Summit's quaint, idyllic downtown. Go figure.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:34 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,513,758 times
Take a look at the spot crime map. Look at the crime numbers for the 64130 zip code.

Kansas City, MO Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Kansas City - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

http://www.city-data.com/zips/64130.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City