U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 10:12 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,509,283 times

Advertisements

Whatever dude.

Cities gentrify and there is little reason that the gentrification that has occurred in KCMO west of Troost can’t impact areas east of Troost and begin to erase or at least ease the racial and economic divide that occurs at Troost.

Your image of the lack of restaurants in kcmo is completely absurd and ridiculous and it sounds like you just need to stick to Lenexa.

You are right, I don’t like Johnson County. I think it has done more harm than good to the KC metro area and the total and complete lack of cooperation and respect from that county and how most metro KC residents blow off the way the county interacts with the rest of metro KC continues to boggle my mind. If JoCo were less of a fierce competitor and more on the same page with the other 4-5 counties in the metro, I think KC would be competing with different tier of cities today vs trying to fend of places like OKC, Indy and Nashville. That’s a broken record that few in KC want to accept or hear though.

And don’t give me some sob story about your mom getting out of a bad area. You have no idea where I’m from or what I or my family went through as a child and young adult in urban kcmo. No idea.

Have fun in Lenexa. Maybe you can catch a KU game at some subsidized strip mall sports bar in the middle of a wheat field. I would still lock your car doors in the parking lot though…
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 04:19 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,202,026 times
This happened today at 52nd and Troost, which is the single best stretch of Troost in the city, IMO. It's between UMKC and Rockhurst University, and a mere couple of blocks from one of KC's most upscale neighborhoods (Crestwood/Brookside). An individual was driving down Troost at 3 PM today and an accident occured and when his car conked out and he couldn't flee the scene he jumped out waving a gun and acting like a lunatic. Thankfully another man with a gun was present from the university police and shot the gun-wielding sociopath/lunatic/emotional retard (whatever he is). Think, by being in the area YOU could get in an accident with this individual, he could try to take your car and somehow or another you might get shot. Yes, there are a ton of individuals like this along and east of Troost and because of proximity quite a few in the rest of urban KCMO too. I don't think the "*******s" as the OP puts it understands that these individuals are "thick" in urban areas. THIS is nowhere near as likely, and rather unlikely, to happen in Johnson County or other good suburban areas far away from the ghetto. I'm not saying everybody should abandon the city or stop progress, but rather that the OP has a point and valid opinion. By the way, the article mentions that a car jacking occured at the very same time several blocks away but was determined to be unrelated! THIS is how it goes along Troost and east of Troost. I believe it is logical that the further you get away from the dense source of bad apples, the less likely you are to be victimized. Like it or not, it's reality. That's not to say there's a slim chance of crime happening anywhere, sure.

Rockhurst University officer kills armed man near campus - KansasCity.com

Old 01-03-2013, 05:10 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,387,870 times
The Plaza is also "near the Rockhurst Campus." And somebody could go nuts there, too. Just like they have in upscale suburbs, shopping malls, schools, and movie theaters across the country. Think I still feel okay about living here. And going to church at 38th and Troost.

Common sense is fine by me. I don't walk to and from my church's neighborhood at 12 a.m. alone, for instance. I keep my wits about me as I do in all areas. Being overly alarmed and seeing victimization around every corner that doesn't look starched and suburban isn't fine by me.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The Plaza is also "near the Rockhurst Campus." And somebody could go nuts there, too. Just like they have in upscale suburbs, shopping malls, schools, and movie theaters across the country. Think I still feel okay about living here. And going to church at 38th and Troost.

Common sense is fine by me. I don't walk to and from my church's neighborhood at 12 a.m. alone, for instance. I keep my wits about me as I do in all areas. Being overly alarmed and seeing victimization around every corner that doesn't look starched and suburban isn't fine by me.
Yes, the Plaza is in the urban core and very close to the Troost boundary. That's why I said even on the good side of urban KCMO, because of proximity, is still far more dangerous and you're more likely to be victimized. The suburban incidents you mention are typically *truly isolated*incidents that are practically non-predictable. When you go on Troost or east of there, or even urban KCMO period because it's in close proximity, any intelligent person can predict their chances of being involved in a crime go WAY up. The reason for this is that urban KCMO, especially east of Troost, is where the majority of the worst of the worst people in region in the multiple millions are concentrated. There are people running around that belong in prison. It's like going to a hypothetical town or city where an entire prison broke free and is on the loose. If you can understand what that would be like, that's not a far cry from what a city that makes the "most dangerous cities" lists regularly is like. This isn't hyperbole, it's reality. I wish folks would face it, because that's the first step in solving the problem. And I think we, as a society, can do so.

I think the OP's point is that some people override their common sense and/or are in denial when going overboard defending urban KCMO. KCMO is dangerous. It really is. For some people, they couldn't care less about 'urbanity' and all that jazz, so they see no value or reason of putting themselves at risk and stay away from the city, which is fine. And I completely understand what he is saying. However, I also understand your point, TabulaRasa, that a person should be aware no matter where they go. You can do the reverse of the city-defenders and think because you're in the suburbs that nothing at all could ever happen and be totally offguard because of thinking that way.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
This happened today at 52nd and Troost, which is the single best stretch of Troost in the city, IMO. It's between UMKC and Rockhurst University, and a mere couple of blocks from one of KC's most upscale neighborhoods (Crestwood/Brookside). An individual was driving down Troost at 3 PM today and an accident occured and when his car conked out and he couldn't flee the scene he jumped out waving a gun and acting like a lunatic. Thankfully another man with a gun was present from the university police and shot the gun-wielding sociopath/lunatic/emotional retard (whatever he is). Think, by being in the area YOU could get in an accident with this individual, he could try to take your car and somehow or another you might get shot. Yes, there are a ton of individuals like this along and east of Troost and because of proximity quite a few in the rest of urban KCMO too. I don't think the "*******s" as the OP puts it understands that these individuals are "thick" in urban areas. THIS is nowhere near as likely, and rather unlikely, to happen in Johnson County or other good suburban areas far away from the ghetto. I'm not saying everybody should abandon the city or stop progress, but rather that the OP has a point and valid opinion. By the way, the article mentions that a car jacking occured at the very same time several blocks away but was determined to be unrelated! THIS is how it goes along Troost and east of Troost. I believe it is logical that the further you get away from the dense source of bad apples, the less likely you are to be victimized. Like it or not, it's reality. That's not to say there's a slim chance of crime happening anywhere, sure.

Rockhurst University officer kills armed man near campus - KansasCity.com
I guess I don’t get your point. I do think what you are saying is painfully obvious. You will likely hear about, see or possibly even be a victim of some crime the closer you are to bad areas of a city. Sure, I think everybody understands that. But what are the chances? Personally, I think it’s so low that it’s just not an issue and it’s a very minor tradeoff to live in an urban area.

Most streets in all of metro DC (including suburbs) are going to be more in line with the very diverse demographics of Troost than something like Lackman in Lenexa. If I worried about every time some incident happened on some major thoroughfare , I would have no roads to travel on.

This comes down to what you can tolerate I guess and to me, Troost is just not a big deal. Now, when I’m in areas like that, I do watch my surroundings, If I’m at a stop light late at night, I might just run it rather than sit and wait for a green light all alone etc. I think these are all things I would do in any major city and KC is no exception.

If you are the type of person that really does get worked up about what might happen to you in such an area, then by all means avoid those areas at all costs. Not everybody lives like that though.

BTW, we lived in Waldo and that is one area where you constantly read about robberies etc very close to home. I remember going to the 7-11 at 85th and Wornall one late night and there was an absolutely crazy man inside yelling nonsense at the customers. Would this occur in Leawood (without 15 patrol cars showing up in 30 seconds?) probably not. I dealt with the situation and did my best to make sure I stayed safe and then I went home and couldn’t stop laughing as I described what I saw to my wife. Never once did I think we have go to move away.

Different kinds of people are able to deal with different environments. Part of living in the city is coming across stuff like this and being too close to areas where crimes have occurred. It’s just part of the territory and you either deal with it and take it as one of the few negatives to all the positives about where you live or you move to a place where you only see it on the news and you always feel “safe”.

People have to do whatever makes them happy.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Most streets in all of metro DC (including suburbs) are going to be more in line with the very diverse demographics of Troost than something like Lackman in Lenexa. If I worried about every time some incident happened on some major thoroughfare , I would have no roads to travel on.
I hear you. But I take issue with what you've said here^. I don't think Troost or east of Troost is diverse at all. Lenexa may be more diverse. It's diversity (which seems to be happening, but is difficult to quantify) that will break the Troost divide and set a higher standard of behavior for the area.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I hear you. But I take issue with what you've said here^. I don't think Troost or east of Troost is diverse at all. Lenexa may be more diverse. It's diversity (which seems to be happening, but is difficult to quantify) that will break the Troost divide and set a higher standard of behavior for the area.
I meant diverse in the type of people using the street, not the area (while the area is still more racially diverse than Lackman despite the segregation, come on). That section of Troost will have everything from commuters from Belton to the gang bangers from the east side to the uppity Brooksiders, to the beat up work truck with hispanics just trying to get by, to the gay Hyde Park couple to lost tourists to local college kids to the old lady that has lived in the area for 85 years in all kinds of cars from old to new.

Lackman will mostly be the white collar commuter and the soccer moms out running errands.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I meant diverse in the type of people using the street, not the area (while the area is still more racially diverse than Lackman despite the segregation, come on). That section of Troost will have everything from commuters from Belton to the gang bangers from the east side to the uppity Brooksiders, to the beat up work truck with hispanics just trying to get by, to the gay Hyde Park couple to lost tourists to local college kids to the old lady that has lived in the area for 85 years in all kinds of cars from old to new.

Lackman will mostly be the white collar commuter and the soccer moms out running errands.
Yeah, Lackman is used similarly. The only component of your version of "diversity" lacking on Lackman is the "gang bangers" (for the most part), which really illustrates my point. You 'rub shoulders' or risk car accidents with ghetto lunatics on Troost and east of there and even in the city in general, while the further away you get from all that, we'll call it 'ground zero', the less of the bad folks you'll run across and less likely you are to be involved in a crime.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Have you forgotten that Lackman is a major blue-collar employment center? I guess those industrial and business parks are invisible.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=lackma...h&z=14&iwloc=A

Old 01-03-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Have you forgotten that Lackman is a major blue-collar employment center? I guess those industrial and business parks are invisible.

Google Maps
Lol, I was thinking Renner, but typed Lackman. Whatever, I think you know what I mean and yes, I understand you will see more nonsense on Troost vs Renner or Lackman. This is just getting silly now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City