Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 01:43 PM

3,483 posts, read 8,953,918 times

Advertisements

I love Kin Lin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 08:09 PM

26,373 posts, read 46,209,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
This. I see this in many different forums here on C-D, not just this one. People constantly prop up areas that are downright dangerous, with many of the following statements: "oh it just depends on the street" "oh not this little tiny neighborhood in here" "it's not THAT bad, just make sure you don't go out at night, board up your house, have 911 on speed dial, and don't make eye contact with obvious sketchy looking people".

The thing is, why should any person moving to the KC area have to even worry about doing all that? Granted yes crime can happen anywhere, but would you seriously recommend someone live on the east side of KC, when there are tons of much safer areas all throughout the metro?? Of course there's the copout "well crime can happen anywhere". Of course it can, as the occasional kidnapping such as Kelsey Smith points out. But you ******* whiners make it out like Overland Park is as dangerous as KC's east side, which is a complete farce.

Because of the bad areas, KC is ranked #9 most dangerous. Without KC being able to dilute its crime stats by having annexed nearly the entire freaking state it feels like, it would be #1 for sure if KC had a more compact urban boundary kind of like St. Louis (which is #1). The only time I could ever justify living in a somewhat dangerous area, is possibly in southern California, where the only remotely affordable areas are at least sketch.

The truth is Troost is not the boundary. Holmes is, as Troost itself is really dangerous. I always tell people don't go east of Holmes within the 435/MO river boundaries. While UMKC itself isn't all that dangerous, when I went there, every week there would be campus email reports of students getting mugged at the Go Chicken Go or other business on Troost. Students went there because there were no cheap safe options for dining nearby. When I wanted something other than that nasty Einstein Bros, Chick-fil-a, Qdoba or Chipotle on Main, I often had to drive fairly deep into JoCo for more options, rather than take my life into my own hands at the fast food joints east of campus. Sorry, Kin Lin is the worst restaurant I've ever been to, of any type. Muddy's was pretty cool though while it was there.

The people that recommend unsafe areas either 1. are from there and have memories of when the place actually was good or 2. bought into these neighborhoods thinking it was a "bargain". The problem with #2 is, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

I am for once actually offended here, kcmo you are a troll, end of story. I am offended because for one, my mother worked like crazy for many years to escape crime like this. She grew up in what is now the worst part of KCK, and while attending UMKC, lived in a house around 55th and Holmes. She had her house broken into at least four times in a span of two years. She worked like crazy and I grew up in a home in Lenexa that in the 20 years we have lived there, our entire neighborhood has had a grand total of one break-in. And that was the relatively crappier part of Lenexa. As for myself, I graduated engineering school at UMKC and now have a good career where I can live on my own in a similarly safe area.

This will be my last post in this forum. I've kept quiet against all the trolling for awhile now, but I just had to rant this time. I don't care, in fact, I wish the moderators would ban me from posting, as clearly I must be a heretic or something. The entire purpose of the KC subforum is to promote not only the liberal agenda, but midwest mediocrity. JoCo attempts to fight against both, and no duh it gets slammed in every single thread here.
ROFL Midwest Mediocrity? You don't even have a clue about most of the Midwest core because your focus seems to be on Texas. I will admit that JOCO has been trying quite successfully to distance itself from the Midwest with all of its new developments, but you can't replicate the entire Sunbelt in a geographic context... With that being said, I think you need to visit all of the other identical corporate suburban county clones of the other Midwest cities and across the US if you think JOCO is so unique in all its self-congratulatory fashion. Several comparable corporate suburban counties in the Midwest would be Hamilton County, IN (Indianapolis), DuPage County, IL (Chicago), Lake County, IL (Chicago), Will County, IL (Chicago), Waukesha County, WI (Milwaukee), Oakland County, MI (Detroit), Delaware County, OH (Columbus), Washington County, MN (Minneapolis/St.Paul) Dakota County, MN (Minneapolis/St.Paul), St. Charles County, MO (St. Louis) etc.
In the interim, JOCO can continue to fight KCMO and the state of Missouri for jobs while Kansas creates next to nothing on its own, as evidenced by the decline and stagnation of the vast majority of the state with very few exceptions (a bit of corporate welfare here and there to attract a few companies).

Old 01-04-2013, 09:44 PM

18 posts, read 39,596 times
Much of KC is dangerous and a dump. Most of the people are uneduated and unemployed and looking to rip you off. The town is nothing but a dirty, cow smelling, flat and boring fly-over space. I truely hate this place and as soon as I find a new job I am relocating.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:58 PM

196 posts, read 390,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99TTC5 View Post
Much of KC is dangerous and a dump. Most of the people are uneduated and unemployed and looking to rip you off. The town is nothing but a dirty, cow smelling, flat and boring fly-over space. I truely hate this place and as soon as I find a new job I am relocating.
Ironic how you misspell "uneducated" while trying to paint with a broad bush something KC is not.

In fact, Kansas City has been ranked in the top 20 smartest cities in America, so don't give us any of this "most people are uneducated" crap.

Smartest Cities - The Daily Beast

#12, Kansas City, Missouri
Daily Beast IQ Score: 124.98
2009 rank: 17 (tie)
Metropolitan area population: 2,066,732
Bachelor’s degrees: 21%
Graduate degrees: 11%
Year-to-date adult nonfiction booksales: 1,455,000

Old 01-06-2013, 02:59 AM

54 posts, read 114,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99TTC5 View Post
Why would you say something like this?

I chose KC as the place to relocate to over options in Boston and Chicago. I think you are suffering from a "grass is greener elsewhere syndrome". Maybe, if ever you get the chance to expose yourself to other cities in the country, or even other countries in the world, you'd come to see the merits of KC.

KC is one of the fastest growing Midwestern cities, and it's not as crowded (or expensive) as Chicago or Denver yet. It has world-class museums, awesome restaurants, a lovely downtown (NOT all big cities with population > 400,000 have this, shockingly), great theaters, and a thriving arts scene. Nelson-Atkins Museum is better than the Getty in LA. KC is one of the most cost-effective cities in the country, and what it offers in return, is no slouch.

You are right. You are, indeed, at this point, unexposed, as you have described.

You will be eating your words.

Last edited by kansasturtle; 01-06-2013 at 03:08 AM..

Old 01-06-2013, 11:42 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,776,123 times
KC metro is above average educated (top 15 with bachelors) and about top 10 with at least high school diploma so not sure where you get your info. I suspect you (99) live in a downer part of town and that is your view of entire KC metro. People who are miserable will often blame it on their surroundings.

I travel the world/US constantly and really like the gritty side of KC, like the 3 warehouse loft districts downtown, especially W Bottoms. E Side is pretty bad but is probably one of better looking 'ghettos' I've seen in US. KC has a lot of mixed character with influences from each area of country, including plenty of Midwest functional grit. I could live anywhere with my job (am not from KC) and prefer KC.

Here's a good list of city/metro comparisons...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3gv68ub07a...tl%20stats.pdf

Old 03-19-2014, 01:17 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,120,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
This. I see this in many different forums here on C-D, not just this one. People constantly prop up areas that are downright dangerous, with many of the following statements: "oh it just depends on the street" "oh not this little tiny neighborhood in here" "it's not THAT bad, just make sure you don't go out at night, board up your house, have 911 on speed dial, and don't make eye contact with obvious sketchy looking people".

The thing is, why should any person moving to the KC area have to even worry about doing all that? Granted yes crime can happen anywhere, but would you seriously recommend someone live on the east side of KC, when there are tons of much safer areas all throughout the metro?? Of course there's the copout "well crime can happen anywhere". Of course it can, as the occasional kidnapping such as Kelsey Smith points out. But you ******* whiners make it out like Overland Park is as dangerous as KC's east side, which is a complete farce.

Because of the bad areas, KC is ranked #9 most dangerous. Without KC being able to dilute its crime stats by having annexed nearly the entire freaking state it feels like, it would be #1 for sure if KC had a more compact urban boundary kind of like St. Louis (which is #1). The only time I could ever justify living in a somewhat dangerous area, is possibly in southern California, where the only remotely affordable areas are at least sketch.

The truth is Troost is not the boundary. Holmes is, as Troost itself is really dangerous. I always tell people don't go east of Holmes within the 435/MO river boundaries. While UMKC itself isn't all that dangerous, when I went there, every week there would be campus email reports of students getting mugged at the Go Chicken Go or other business on Troost. Students went there because there were no cheap safe options for dining nearby. When I wanted something other than that nasty Einstein Bros, Chick-fil-a, Qdoba or Chipotle on Main, I often had to drive fairly deep into JoCo for more options, rather than take my life into my own hands at the fast food joints east of campus. Sorry, Kin Lin is the worst restaurant I've ever been to, of any type. Muddy's was pretty cool though while it was there.

The people that recommend unsafe areas either 1. are from there and have memories of when the place actually was good or 2. bought into these neighborhoods thinking it was a "bargain". The problem with #2 is, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

I am for once actually offended here, kcmo you are a troll, end of story. I am offended because for one, my mother worked like crazy for many years to escape crime like this. She grew up in what is now the worst part of KCK, and while attending UMKC, lived in a house around 55th and Holmes. She had her house broken into at least four times in a span of two years. She worked like crazy and I grew up in a home in Lenexa that in the 20 years we have lived there, our entire neighborhood has had a grand total of one break-in. And that was the relatively crappier part of Lenexa. As for myself, I graduated engineering school at UMKC and now have a good career where I can live on my own in a similarly safe area.

This will be my last post in this forum. I've kept quiet against all the trolling for awhile now, but I just had to rant this time. I don't care, in fact, I wish the moderators would ban me from posting, as clearly I must be a heretic or something. The entire purpose of the KC subforum is to promote not only the liberal agenda, but midwest mediocrity. JoCo attempts to fight against both, and no duh it gets slammed in every single thread here.

Too many people who speak the truth about Kansas City, Missouri, as in this post, have been run off from this forum. It's sad.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:30 AM

89 posts, read 162,698 times
East of troost is a ****hole

Old 03-19-2014, 02:26 AM

634 posts, read 891,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Too many people who speak the truth about Kansas City, Missouri, as in this post, have been run off from this forum. It's sad.
A lot of people are gone. I stopped posting in this forum long before I Ieft the city, kansas citians shy away from discussing new ideas deemed too controversial, imo. "Long ago on independence square" has charm, but it put me in a coma 4,000 posts ago, yet its super popular. I hang out in Dallas and Miami for some real electricity!

Last edited by Garethe; 03-19-2014 at 02:45 AM..

Old 03-19-2014, 10:22 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,120,650 times
I wasn't even commenting on Troost and I don't care about Troost. You started this thread, kcmo, not me. I was only bringing to light a poster's comment - a poster who experienced the same thing I have and others have when they tried to defend Johnson County on this forum. I was commenting on how anyone defending Johnson County on this forum is attacked and eventually run off from this forum by people like you, kcmo.

Last edited by luzianne; 03-19-2014 at 10:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City