U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 11:02 AM

14 posts, read 9,308 times

Advertisements

I may not have been clear, we are moving to Overland Park, but we love to go exploring, either driving, walking or riding bikes. It seems like a lot of the culture is on the Missouri side, so we will be most likely spending a lot of time riding or walking around downtown and the areas surrounding it, looking for cool restaurants, music venues, stuff like that. I was asking about the boundaries of the bad areas so we could exclude those areas from our adventures, or at least be more aware in those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 11:39 AM

519 posts, read 468,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon_Blues View Post
I may not have been clear, we are moving to Overland Park, but we love to go exploring, either driving, walking or riding bikes. It seems like a lot of the culture is on the Missouri side, so we will be most likely spending a lot of time riding or walking around downtown and the areas surrounding it, looking for cool restaurants, music venues, stuff like that. I was asking about the boundaries of the bad areas so we could exclude those areas from our adventures, or at least be more aware in those areas.
East of Troost, when south of 31st is a good rule to follow. There's really nothing to see or do or explore in that area anyway, so you would probably never be in that area. The Northeast area of KC I would just be more aware of your surroundings when exploring that area.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:09 PM

35,818 posts, read 39,375,570 times
Quote:

If you are dead set on Johnson County, then Mission and Fairway are good options, but I think you will pay more over there.
And there are comparatively few rentals.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I am moving to Overland Park next year, and I have been reading the various threads about the Kansas City area. I keep seeing warnings to stay west of Troost, but I haven't seen any other boundaries. How big of an area are we talking about? My wife and I love to go on drives and walks, and if there is a rougher area we'd like to be aware of exactly where we need to be on our toes.

What are the north, east and south boundaries of this Troost area? Thanks.
If you are walking and make your way into a rougher area, it will be visually readily apparent to you.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
East of Troost, when south of 31st is a good rule to follow. There's really nothing to see or do or explore in that area anyway, so you would probably never be in that area. The Northeast area of KC I would just be more aware of your surroundings when exploring that area.
Disagree; Swope Park is east of Troost and south of 31st. So is the Blue River Trail area.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:41 PM

8,806 posts, read 9,626,228 times
Quote:
Most of the entertainment in KC is in certain districts so you will be confined to a relatively small area like; Westport, The Plaza, The Arts District, and Brookside. You can walk from restaurants to bars in each area but probably not from one area to the next. It can get wild sometimes but that is to be expected with the number of colleges in KCMO. I haven't been to the Prairie Fire District in Overland Park yet but it might included also.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:17 PM

402 posts, read 300,573 times
All the best BBQ places in KC are East of troost. Starlight, the Zoo, the stadiums are East of troost too.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:01 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
Quote:
Awesome that you want to explore the metro. There are things to do in JoCo. They have some nice bike trails etc, but I never understood why people limit themselves to any part of a metro, especially a metro as small and easy to get around as KC.

I would say this. If things start to get sketchy, you start thinking about where you are a little more, but you are probably totally safe, especially if you are city smart and are not running through parks with earbuds in and clueless of your surroundings etc. Like any major city, you will know if you are truly in a bad and dangerous area. In KC that's generally limited to pockets of the the east side off the major roads, but a few high traffic areas are dangerous too like 27th and Prospect etc. I wouldn't feel unsafe driving through there at any time, but would think twice about walking around there, especially at night. There are not too many dangerous places you would end up accidentally that you couldn't just turn around after seeing the surroundings change.

Swope Park has nice mountain biking trails, disk golf, etc.

Minor Park in South KC also has some great mountain biking trails.

If you like biking. Start with the Indian Creek Train in Leawood or Overland Park and ride into KCMO at Watts Mill. You can take that trail all the way to Minor Park in SKC. You can actually ride all the way from Shawnee or Olathe to Redbridge/Minor Park on one continuous off road paved bike trail.

Of course the Trolley Track Trail is great. Park in Waldo at 74th and Wornall and ride to the Plaza.

Other really good trails in metro KC are the Little Blue Trace trail in eastern Jackson County and the Line Creek trail in the Northland. If you like mountain biking, Landahl in Blue Springs is one of the best bike parks in the midwest.

As far as urban exploring. Just get out and drive. Even areas like Old NE and the industrial districts of KC like the East Bottoms and Blue River Valley are very interesting places explore.

Gladstone Blvd in Old NE is a nice drive or walk.

Ride Brush Creek from plaza to as far east as you feel comfortable. Make sure to stop at Kauffman Gardens.

Check out areas that most suburbanites never see. (so areas outside of the downtown loop, crown center westport and plaza, but don't ignore those areas either).

Cool neighborhoods to explore:
Columbus Park (east of river market)
Coleman Highlands (area around 33rd and Karnes)
Volker/W39th (eclectic area east of KU Med in KCMO)
Broadway through Midtown
Penn Valley Park
Armour Blvd/Hyde Park
Southmoreland (near KCAI and Nelson)

Honestly, there are too many neighborhoods to mention. Just explore Midtown, but don't be afraid to go east of Troost, there are some great areas over there with nice boulvards and parks. Drive south on Paseo from Volker to Meyer Blvd to Swope Park.

Downtown North KC is a nice place to explore. Very walkable with some nice restaurants. Parkville, Liberty, Lee's Summit and Independence all have very interesting and historic walkable downtown districts.

Water Works park has great views of the downtown skyline. As does the perimeter road around Downtown airport (very popular with road bicyclists).

Check out Zona Rosa, Briarcliff shops up north. Check out the large recreational lakes in the east metro: Blue Springs Lake, Lake Jacomo and Longview Lake for bike trails, skiing, beaches etc.

I could go on and on. Just get out and explore. You will learn the metro fast enough. Not too many areas unsafe unless you sell drugs on the streets etc. A lot of areas might look sketchy but are probably not. For example, the area called Martini Corner is sort of on the edge of areas that would intimidate many suburbanites. It's a safe area with some nice places to eat etc and most of the best dives in KC are in areas that don't look all that great.

Also:

Go to the "original" Strouds up north on Vivion.

Go to Gates on 47th and Paseo. It's really nice. Also while not in the greatest areas, you are totally safe and should go to BBs bbq on E85th, LCs bbq on Blue Parkway, the original Arthur Bryants, Dixons Chili on Hwy40 and Blue Ridge.

KC has some great mexican food. Southwest Blvd from 20th into KCK near Rainbow has tons of good places to east. Make sure you walk around the area just west of I-35. It has a very authentic hispanic feel to it with some great dives. Great lunch spot for downtown workers.

Last edited by kcmo; 08-28-2016 at 12:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City