U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 06:42 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,783 times

Advertisements

Curious the only critical view that anyone can come up with about JoCo is the giant surface lots in front of stripmalls (albeit true). Is amusing of all things to discuss, that is what is being nitpicked. The OP has already visited JoCo so has seen the sprawl and knows what to expect.

Many posting here don't like suburbia in general and it's not for me either but as suburbia goes, JoCo and Overland Park fit the bill very well for those who want that. Some of the suburbs on MO side have more character (Parkville, Riverside, Lee's Summit, Liberty, etc) but for those who want United States of Generica suburbia centered around best schools, high income, highly educated and homogenized consumerism, S JoCo is the place to be in the metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 07:09 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,998,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Curious the only critical view that anyone can come up with about JoCo is the giant surface lots in front of stripmalls (albeit true). Is amusing of all things to discuss, that is what is being nitpicked. The OP has already visited JoCo so has seen the sprawl and knows what to expect.
It was just a general statement that went off topic

Old 12-23-2011, 09:58 AM

20,170 posts, read 34,480,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post

Many posting here don't like suburbia in general and it's not for me either but as suburbia goes, JoCo and Overland Park fit the bill very well for those who want that. Some of the suburbs on MO side have more character (Parkville, Riverside, Lee's Summit, Liberty, etc) but for those who want United States of Generica suburbia centered around best schools, high income, highly educated and homogenized consumerism, S JoCo is the place to be in the metro.
I could discuss the "snobbery" and "bubble" components of south JOCO, but I'm sure that would further derail the thread.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:46 AM

4 posts, read 11,808 times
Thank you all for the posts. This has been helpful. I guess if my family only needs to worry about large parking lots, stores set back from the main rd, and Snobbery--then we should be alright with settling in that area. Far less concerns in Overland Park, it seems, then my concerns in my current surroundings. Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:52 AM

27 posts, read 43,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliefreak72 View Post
Thank you all for the posts. This has been helpful. I guess if my family only needs to worry about large parking lots, stores set back from the main rd, and Snobbery--then we should be alright with settling in that area. Far less concerns in Overland Park, it seems, then my concerns in my current surroundings. Thanks again and Merry Christmas.
Your welcome and merry christmas too and happy new year everyone.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:09 PM

7,650 posts, read 5,638,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliefreak72 View Post
You're catching on quickly to the interplanetary eccentricity and anti-suburban/anti-Johnson County/anti-Kansas bias entrenched in the KC forum.

Overland Park living is just about as good as it gets for a young family. I know that from my 14 years there with my own young family and from my comparison experience living in many other metros. There simply are no drawbacks worth talking about, so they make them up here in this forum and try their best to turn pluses into minuses....things like large parking lots. LOL!! I've been following this forum for about 4 years and, trust me, it's non-stop entertainment.

Anyway, you'll love it there....unless the relatively shorter, cooler, and much more comfortable summers you're used to in the Northeast is a major factor for you. I'm from upstate New York myself and I can tell you that I didn't know what summer was until I moved to the central plains.

Yes, the summer weather is the one and only factor that would give me pause about returning to Overland Park. But if I still had young children as you do, that factor is dwarfed by the great schools, safety, and security that Overland Park living offers.

Best of luck.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:33 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,177,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^But that was exactly my point. JoCo is huuuge and encompassing a couple different lifestyles. I was just pointing out that north of 435 the schools are still wonderful, the area still upscale, but there are significantly more choices for something a bit on the walkable side should the OP be looking for that.

There's a big difference between car dependent, which really all of Johnson County (and the vast majority of the KC metro) is, and what South JoCo is, which is truly, completely unwalkable. For me personally, that's why I would have hated being a kid out there, and it's why I would struggle to call it as family friendly as the magazines do. I find the downtown Overland Park area quite charming however because you still get the suburban experience, but there's true community spaces.
We moved here from a suburb of Chicago. We lived one mile from the grocery store. It took me ten minutes to get there. We live five miles from the grocery store here (we're semi-rural). It takes me ten minutes to get there. I'm serious. Places in the Chicago area that were pretty close to us were harder to get to than places in Kansas that are 10-15 miles away. There are highways everywhere here, and speed limits are way higher than we were used to. And as I said before, traffic is SO much lighter. It's extremely easy to get around the KC area, even up in the city.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:54 PM

4 posts, read 13,858 times
We just relocated to OP from Ohio 5 months ago. Yes, it is a good place to raise a family from what we have learned through our relocation company and realtor. There are many elementary schools to consider within the BVSD, and I think we toured most of them.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:21 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,496,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
You're catching on quickly to the interplanetary eccentricity and anti-suburban/anti-Johnson County/anti-Kansas bias entrenched in the KC forum.

Overland Park living is just about as good as it gets for a young family. I know that from my 14 years there with my own young family and from my comparison experience living in many other metros. There simply are no drawbacks worth talking about, so they make them up here in this forum and try their best to turn pluses into minuses....things like large parking lots. LOL!! I've been following this forum for about 4 years and, trust me, it's non-stop entertainment.

Anyway, you'll love it there....unless the relatively shorter, cooler, and much more comfortable summers you're used to in the Northeast is a major factor for you. I'm from upstate New York myself and I can tell you that I didn't know what summer was until I moved to the central plains.

Yes, the summer weather is the one and only factor that would give me pause about returning to Overland Park. But if I still had young children as you do, that factor is dwarfed by the great schools, safety, and security that Overland Park living offers.

Best of luck.
OK, I'm beginning to understand you. Whenever anyone posts any opinion that's positive about anything remotely urban, or an opinion that points out any flaws of the suburbs, they're a leftist nut who's trying to force everyone else to live in tiny urban boxes and they're trying to take away your car and your rights.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:56 PM

98 posts, read 198,907 times
Default Culture Shock

We are a west coast family from vancouver bc, and have been here for 10 years. There are pluses and minuses to living here in the metroplex.If coming from boston to the kc metroplex expect to be in culture shock for awhile until you adjust to the local prevailing attitudes.This is not a cultural nirvana with a plethora of ethnic stores, music , or shopping for trendy items so be prepared .There are pockets of culture .But IMHO few and far between.As the previous threads mention a gaggle of malls , strip malls , and other boring venues await you. Check schools very carefully, if your a lib you will be right at home.If you lean towards conservative views, you will find yourselves constantly locking horns with the liberal biases of the local school systems. Knowing what we do today , I would have homeschooled our 2 kids , than subject them to the ******* brainwashing of the top school system in missouri.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City