U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2011, 07:58 AM
 
8,792 posts, read 9,620,365 times
Reputation: 6682

Advertisements

Too many people are thinking of the the old Summer and not the reinvented one. Today its student population is diverse and slightly less than 50% African American. I have had relatives who graduated from the that school and they drove past Washington, Schlagle, and Wyandotte to get to that school. The African American population of KCK is only around 25%. Considering that 25% is spread out over the city, Sumner had to do something years ago and now they have some of the best teachers and students in the city and the nation.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 12-29-2011 at 08:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2011, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
3,572 posts, read 6,195,578 times
Reputation: 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer88 View Post
Economically disadvantaged has nothing to do with intelligence. The purpose of Sumner Academy is to help take away the fact that low SES does sometimes have a negative effect on achievement in schools. Students must keep a certain level of grades etc and all teachers I believe are required to have a masters or at least working towards one if I remember correctly. It wouldn't suprise me at all for Sumner to be a top school with these kind of expectations. Just remember that poor people are just as likely to be geniuses as the wealthy, the key is providing students with an opportunity for success and them using it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Too many people are thinking of the the old Summer and not the reinvented one. Today its student population is diverse and slightly less than 50% African American. I have had relatives who graduated from the that school and they drove past Washington, Schlagle, and Wyandotte to get to that school. The African American population of KCK is only around 25%. Considering that 25% is spread out over the city, Sumner had to do something years ago and now they have some of the best teachers and students in the city and the nation.
Sumner is a great school for the better of KCK students that don't really have another choice. But even most of the SMALL (and I mean small) middle class in the city of KCK that live there because they work in the city government, for the public utility, or whatever, choose to send there kids to Piper High School and the Piper School district, which is in far northwestern exurban/semi-rural area of the city. The rest send their kids to Bishop Ward. But yes, kids from all over the city drive past the other high schools to go to Sumner.

Look at it this way, you don't see people moving to KCK so they can send their kids to Sumner. It just doesn't happen. Like I said, it's a great school for what it is, but no sane middle-class family would move to KCK for the sake of sending their kids to Sumner when there are better choices all over the metro. In reality, I don't buy that it's the best public high school in the metro. That's really absurd. Rather, it may be the best urban high school in KC at bringing up the most disadvantaged kids with the most potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 10:57 AM
 
2,195 posts, read 2,144,593 times
Reputation: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
In reality, I don't buy that it's the best public high school in the metro. That's really absurd. Rather, it may be the best urban high school in KC at bringing up the most disadvantaged kids with the most potential.
Spoken like a true midwesterner: When the facts don't fit your unfounded preconceptions, just stubbornly refuse to believe the data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Old Hyde Park, Kansas City,MO
1,145 posts, read 1,998,962 times
Reputation: 562
I car pool with a guy who went Sumner, he is a really smart guy, both he and his wife went to Sumner. They are both City Planners and are doing pretty well for themselves, i'd say they are pretty smart.

The other guy I carpool is a different story, he went to one of those Blue Valley schools, he might be the biggest idiot i have ever known, i won't even get into the details of his life. Hes not the sharpest tool in the shed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 12:08 PM
 
8,792 posts, read 9,620,365 times
Reputation: 6682
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Sumner is a great school for the better of KCK students that don't really have another choice. But even most of the SMALL (and I mean small) middle class in the city of KCK that live there because they work in the city government, for the public utility, or whatever, choose to send there kids to Piper High School and the Piper School district, which is in far northwestern exurban/semi-rural area of the city. The rest send their kids to Bishop Ward. But yes, kids from all over the city drive past the other high schools to go to Sumner.

Look at it this way, you don't see people moving to KCK so they can send their kids to Sumner. It just doesn't happen. Like I said, it's a great school for what it is, but no sane middle-class family would move to KCK for the sake of sending their kids to Sumner when there are better choices all over the metro. In reality, I don't buy that it's the best public high school in the metro. That's really absurd. Rather, it may be the best urban high school in KC at bringing up the most disadvantaged kids with the most potential.
When I was there maybe 5-6 years ago it had a decidedly un-urban appeal to it. I didn't think very many of the students were economically disadvantaged. They used to have a waiting list. My relatives who sent their kids to Sumner used Catholic schools for elementary and middle but chose sumner for their high school years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
3,572 posts, read 6,195,578 times
Reputation: 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
When I was there maybe 5-6 years ago it had a decidedly un-urban appeal to it. I didn't think very many of the students were economically disadvantaged. They used to have a waiting list. My relatives who sent their kids to Sumner used Catholic schools for elementary and middle but chose sumner for their high school years.
That sounds like a great plan for a person who cares enough about education, but has to live in KCK. Sumner is certainly the cream of the crop of the KCK district. By the way, the majority of Sumner's kids are economically disadvantaged, just like every other school in the district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 02:59 PM
 
8,792 posts, read 9,620,365 times
Reputation: 6682
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
That sounds like a great plan for a person who cares enough about education, but has to live in KCK. Sumner is certainly the cream of the crop of the KCK district. By the way, the majority of Sumner's kids are economically disadvantaged, just like every other school in the district.
You might want to look up what a Magnet school is.

wikki
Sumner Academy maintains high behavioral and academic standards for its students. Students must receive a letter of acceptance before enrolling at Sumner Academy and once enrolled are required to maintain GPA of 2.5 or higher to continue to attend. December 2009 Sumner Academy was ranked the 62nd best high school in the nation, reported by US News and World Report, making Sumner the only high school in the state of Kansas to make the top 100 list.

That means Piper, Turner and Blue Valley didn't make the cut and thats why those are some of the parents driving their kids across town to go to Sumner, this is old news by they way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
3,572 posts, read 6,195,578 times
Reputation: 2549
Cream of the crop USD 500.

Last edited by MOKAN; 12-29-2011 at 03:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Tower Grove East, St. Louis, MO
12,064 posts, read 27,207,945 times
Reputation: 3739
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Cream of the crop USD 500.
I don't know what that means, and I don't know why you insist on talking out of your behind on this issue.

Metro, the only Gold medal winner in Missouri, is a St. Louis City magnet school. Is your mind blown yet?

Search | Best High Schools | U.S. News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2015, 11:13 AM
 
1 posts, read 461 times
Reputation: 10
Both of my sons went to Sumner Academy and we lived in Mission, KS. My oldest took full IB (college) classes from 9th-12th grade, graduating with a 4.3 GPA, earning him a full-ride aeronautical engineering scholarship to K-State. My other son took full IB classes from 10th-12th grade, graduating with a 4.2 GPA, earning him a $50,000 electrical engineering scholarship to KU. Both are engineers in their respective fields. As others have mentioned, Sumner Academy ranks top 100 nationwide, and has done so for decades. I have since moved to the Westheight Manor area, and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. Old world charm, safe neighborhood with friendly neighbors, close proximity to anywhere in the KC metro. The perception that Johnson County, KS is a better class of residents and schools than the KCK urban core, is an incorrect, close-minded "perception." Most, not all, people regardless of where they live or the color of their skin, are inherently good. Consider the Johnson County, white, doctor Debora Green who set her house on fire, killing two of her kids. The point is there will always be good and bad no matter where you live. It's what a person makes of their circumstances that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top