U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 01:47 AM

7,661 posts, read 5,643,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I'm not talking about the east side and you know it. Even so, KCMO has invested more in its east side than KCK has in its entire city east of 435. I can sit here and list all the projects on the east side for you, but that would probably be a waste of time. Could they do more? Sure they could.

My point is that KCMO has used incentives to primarily rebuild its urban core, not build up its far flung suburban areas and in the few cases it has used incentives to greenfield development, I have been equally hard on them. The Farmland HQ near KCI is a prime example of this. But for the most part, KCMO has done well to focus incentives in areas that simply cost at lot more to develop because they have to redevelop an area and build structured parking.

The main reason cities created these incentives in the first place was to help level the playing field financially for urban areas so they can compete with suburban areas so when suburban areas started using them, it only widened the gap. It cost more to build just the underground parking garage of an urban building than it does to build the entire office in some joco office park.

Now KCMO (or MO) is forced to play the same game by using incentives to poach companies from Kansas to suburban areas of its city because urban areas are basically out of the question when they do so little to close the cost gap. KCMO just landed a Leawood company from across the street using quite a bit of city and state incentives.

That is asinine, and they would not have done that ten years ago. Now they are forced to because KS has declared economic war on their city and they have to fight back and try to at least make KS understand that they can do it too so maybe KS will stop.

Itís unproductive and I find it mind boggling that people just accept it as business as usual in KC.
I find it mind boggling that a person who just 6 weeks ago declared his final post in the KC forum still has nothing better to do than drone on with this same tired and tiresome act.

Why don't you answer his question, Mr. Urbanite? Why isn't your money where your mouth is? Why aren't you living in downtown Baltimore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 08:00 AM

12,841 posts, read 23,212,253 times
So which NFL team do we get to keep?

I don't like this map though. I get horrible visions of traffic and expensive.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:19 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I find it mind boggling that a person who just 6 weeks ago declared his final post in the KC forum still has nothing better to do than drone on with this same tired and tiresome act.

Why don't you answer his question, Mr. Urbanite? Why isn't your money where your mouth is? Why aren't you living in downtown Baltimore?
I have nothing again suburbs at all (even though I grew up in urban kcmo and still have spent more of my life in the city than in the burbs).

Suburbs can co-exist with cities quite well and in many metro areas they do just that. My point has always been that metro KC could work together as one and the city and suburbs could coexist more than compete with each other. But I guess some people like things the way they are in kc. Every city has some city/suburb friction, but KC really does seem to take it to a much higher level.

If Jonson County and the KS side in general cooperated with the MO side more on regional issues, economic development etc, I would have zero problems with the KS suburbs. Believe it or not, I am not a suburb hater at all. Just like in KC, we may sleep in the burbs here, but we live in the city (cities) . Actually, we take full advantage of the entire metro area. The suburbs here have quite a bit to offer and coexist well with the big cities (DC and Balt) and the historic cities (Annapolis, Frederick etc). We simply take full advantage of the entire metro area and KC would do better if it acted more like one metro area.

Denver has great suburbs that respect and co-exist well with the city. That's all I have ever asked for out of Kansas City.

BTW, "tired and tiresome act" is coming in here and posting what you post. This is ALL you do. Talk about tiresome. Do you have any other interest in KC other than to defend how Kansas interacts with metro KC?

Last edited by kcmo; 01-07-2012 at 11:30 AM..

Old 01-07-2012, 01:55 PM

7,661 posts, read 5,643,038 times
Quote:
I have nothing again suburbs at all (even though I grew up in urban kcmo and still have spent more of my life in the city than in the burbs).

Suburbs can co-exist with cities quite well and in many metro areas they do just that. My point has always been that metro KC could work together as one and the city and suburbs could coexist more than compete with each other. But I guess some people like things the way they are in kc. Every city has some city/suburb friction, but KC really does seem to take it to a much higher level.

If Jonson County and the KS side in general cooperated with the MO side more on regional issues, economic development etc, I would have zero problems with the KS suburbs. Believe it or not, I am not a suburb hater at all. Just like in KC, we may sleep in the burbs here, but we live in the city (cities) . Actually, we take full advantage of the entire metro area. The suburbs here have quite a bit to offer and coexist well with the big cities (DC and Balt) and the historic cities (Annapolis, Frederick etc). We simply take full advantage of the entire metro area and KC would do better if it acted more like one metro area.

Denver has great suburbs that respect and co-exist well with the city. That's all I have ever asked for out of Kansas City.

BTW, "tired and tiresome act" is coming in here and posting what you post. This is ALL you do. Talk about tiresome. Do you have any other interest in KC other than to defend how Kansas interacts with metro KC?
Same old song....when your back's against the wall suddenly you're not a suburb hater - it's just Johnson County that merits your wrath. But we both know that I could quickly find dozens of your past tirades proving that you are indeed hostile to suburbs and suburban life generally....except for the suburb you happen to live in at the time, of course.

The anger and open hostility toward all things Kansas that you have been peddling here for years would not be tolerated in most other forums - and you know it. You would have cleaned up your act or been history a long time ago.

My interest in KC? Some of my fondest memories are of my years there and I have shared that sentiment time and time again. The one and only negative that you've ever heard from me about life in KC is about the summer weather.

From you we get a daily top ten list of reasons to hate Kansas and Kansans - along with your daily reminder of how disappointed you are with Kansas City, MO and its people for not measuring up to your ideal of what it could and should be.

It's old - and it's tired - and it's time for it to end.

The Kansas City metro is truly one of the nicest in the US in which to live and raise a family. That is the message that readers of this forum should take away from their visits here and that many of us try to convey.

You're not helping KC by standing in our way.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:03 PM

35,819 posts, read 39,375,570 times
Quote:
I found this map I made a while back. One of the things I don't like about KC is how isolated it is and the general rural area around it is just not that appealing to me.
So funny! This just might be my most favorite thing ABOUT living in KC. But I have deep, deep fondness in my heart for rural countryside, as a farm girl at heart. Seriously, though. I love living in an urban area, but I really appreciate that rural landscapes are completely accessible. I can't imagine anything I'd hate more than an eastern seaboard type setup, where it's just one urban metro chaining into another. To each, his/her own, but ideal for me is urban amenities with lots and lots and lots of wide open, undeveloped space adjacent to me. Which makes KC just about perfect, in that regard. When I lived in Chicago, I had to - HAD TO - get away to the farm at least one weekend a month, or I'd have gone absolutely bat**** crazy.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

You're not helping KC by standing in our way.
LOL, about the only thing you seem to like about KC is johnson county and there is nothing that place can do that is wrong in your mind.

I have stated many times that I'm fine with suburbs. Sure, I prefer urban areas and suburbs can get pretty monotonous but suburbs are fine. I just don’t like how the ks suburbs interact with kcmo and I don't like some of the things they do. You do. I don’t. Lets’ agree to disagree .

Last edited by kcmo; 01-07-2012 at 04:12 PM..

Old 01-07-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
So funny! This just might be my most favorite thing ABOUT living in KC. But I have deep, deep fondness in my heart for rural countryside, as a farm girl at heart. Seriously, though. I love living in an urban area, but I really appreciate that rural landscapes are completely accessible. I can't imagine anything I'd hate more than an eastern seaboard type setup, where it's just one urban metro chaining into another. To each, his/her own, but ideal for me is urban amenities with lots and lots and lots of wide open, undeveloped space adjacent to me. Which makes KC just about perfect, in that regard. When I lived in Chicago, I had to - HAD TO - get away to the farm at least one weekend a month, or I'd have gone absolutely bat**** crazy.
I respect this opinion. It's not that I don't like all rural areas. We are in the eastern seaboard but can access rural areas just as easily as we could in KC and the rural areas have much more to offer IMO as they have bays, mountains etc in addition to the farming type areas that you will see around KC and the Midwest.

So just because we live near DC and Baltimore doesn't mean we don't see or take advantage of rural areas. We do all the time actually. Rural Maryland, Virginia etc is very nice. The difference is that there is another city 1-3 hours across those areas where in KC, itís just farms and tiny towns for hundreds of miles. I prefer this setup to the 500 miles of just farmland. I guess some people like that, but it's not for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City