U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 09:57 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times

Advertisements

I found this map I made a while back. One of the things I don't like about KC is how isolated it is and the general rural area around it is just not that appealing to me.

So I made a map of what it would be like if KC were only about an hour from both Denver and St Louis.

Columbia is just as far east of KC as Lawrence is west. So within about 90 minutes of KC, you would have three major metropolitan areas and three college towns plus the Rocky Mountains.

You could have high speed rail connecting it all together and of course a wider I-70. It would all become Colorado (MO and KS would go away yippie).

What's not to like?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 10:21 PM

400 posts, read 843,179 times
I see how you made Columbia closer to Kansas City than Lawrence is. Keep dreaming. You didn't change the distances at all on the Kansas side from Kansas City to Lawrence, but you made Columbia like 100 miles closer to KC. Ridiculous.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Earth View Post
I see how you made Columbia closer to Kansas City than Lawrence is. Keep dreaming. You didn't change the distances at all on the Kansas side from Kansas City to Lawrence, but you made Columbia like 100 miles closer to KC. Ridiculous.
Actually, I just spaced them out so they were about the same distance from KC and halfway between KC and Denver/St Louis, just like I said in the post above.

You really need to lighten up, lol.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:52 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,998,962 times
Looks like a map of the DFW Metroplex

Old 12-29-2011, 09:06 AM

345 posts, read 691,943 times
Pretty cool. Not that this is your fault but it is interesting to see the Missouri River not connect and come out of no where. Anyway, this would be pretty awesome.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:50 AM

5,758 posts, read 9,486,551 times
If you're going to relocate the city why not do it right and move it to a warmer climate like Southern Texas or Mexico. I would even take Florida or Alabama. Right down by Austin and San Antonio sound good.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:31 PM

886 posts, read 1,860,142 times
this would be awesome... hmmmm how can we destroy most of kansas....

Old 01-03-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
this would be awesome... hmmmm how can we destroy most of kansas....
You should see my map of "Lake Kansas"! Brookside, Plaza, Westport, Downtown all become awesome lakefront areas (like Chicago, Milwaukee etc) and everybody in JoCo and Wyco are forced to the Northland and Jackson County and like it .

Oh, and they can't take the office parks with them to Lee' Summit or wherever. While those office parks become underwater reefs , all the companies out there move to the crossroads and midtown and KC develops an urban core that rivals Boston! LOL

Old 01-04-2012, 09:33 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,496,291 times
What I find interesting is how metro Denver and metro KC are about the same size, yet Denver has another million people in the same area. I'm not sure about the STL metro area... isn't it around 3 million as well? It always seemed fairly dense to me.

But with this map, wouldn't the three cities eventually grow together and you'd just have a big "mess on the Plains"? lol! And people in KC would always be complaining about Denver and STL drivers.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:35 PM

400 posts, read 843,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
You should see my map of "Lake Kansas"! Brookside, Plaza, Westport, Downtown all become awesome lakefront areas (like Chicago, Milwaukee etc) and everybody in JoCo and Wyco are forced to the Northland and Jackson County and like it .

Oh, and they can't take the office parks with them to Lee' Summit or wherever. While those office parks become underwater reefs , all the companies out there move to the crossroads and midtown and KC develops an urban core that rivals Boston! LOL
Okay, for all the people (xenokc, etc.) who think that "it's those two" (meaning kcmo and ME) who create KS vs. MO division on this forum, tell me how this comment up above is in any way productive, helpful, or even appropriate on this forum? I have NEVER said anything remotely this disrespectful about the Missouri side of the metro. This type of attitude, HA HA is all a joke, but it's not. It's indicative of a very hostile viewpoint towards half of the entire metro area, a viewpoint that he has been spewing here for years. How is this appropriate? Who is really causing the division?

Kansas EXISTS. You can't make it a lake. It's a part of the metro area; always has been, and always will be. So you either accept it and learn to like the entire metro area or you be a bitter person who acts like he's a uniter, when in fact he's one of the worst dividers of anyone.

He was in the Kansas forum recently posting all kinds of divisive things saying how bad Kansas is as a state: Topeka is a dump, Wichita needs improvement, and all there is in Kansas is leeching off of Kansas City. I couldn't respond in that thread before it got locked. He acts like Lawrence isn't a part of Kansas. He ignores Manhattan. The Manhattan metro area is now larger than St. Joseph or Lawrence and is growing faster than many major cities like Minneapolis (16%+ from 2000-2010). There are additional cities like Salina, Hays, and McPherson in Kansas that are doing very well economically. But he ignores this and rips Kansas, acting like there is nothing in Kansas except some sprawl leeching off of Kansas City. KC is a bi-state metro, but it has always been oriented toward Kansas more than any other state, going all the way back to pioneer days with the trails and cattle drives providing KC a reason to exist. If you like KC, you should like Kansas and support Kansas. And support Missouri as well. And Nebraska and Iowa, which are also regional states in KC's region.

I have always been a pro-metro area person. I support both sides, all counties in the metro. He's not. He's anti-half of the metro area. How can you be a Kansas City person and be against half of the metro area?

Also, just to kcmo since I couldn't respond in the thread that got locked in the KS forum. About AMC moving to Leawood. I read that AMC's downtown lease was coming up for expiration, and that AMC was considering moving to ANOTHER CITY because Kansas City is one of their smaller theater markets and they wanted to be in a market where they have more theaters. The $40 million from Kansas helped them decide to stay in the KC metro area. You portray it as Kansas taking a company from Missouri, when in fact it was actually Kansas helping stabilize the KC economy by providing an economic incentive to a company to stay in the metro area rather than moving to another city for economic reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City