U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 08:03 PM

22 posts, read 61,075 times

Advertisements

Probably relocating to KC area from NJ. We have 2 school aged children. I know Johnson county has great schools, but the area seems so 'cookie cutter'. it seems that Liberty, MO has more of the greenspace we desire, but are concerned about the school district. It seems like they are good, but can't compare with Johnson county...help!!!!![/b]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 08:10 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
Liberty, Missouri or Johnson County, Kansas?

That may help some.

I would say that the Liberty Schools (as well as the NKC Schools in the Shoal Creek area of KCMO west of Liberty) are just as good as those in Johnson County.

So it would come down to personal preference more than anything.

Since you are looking at two areas across town from each other, I would also add Lee's Summit and Southern Platte County (Parkville/Park Hill/Tiffany Springs basically I-29 corridor) as well.

Liberty has that small town feel that a lot of people like, but the area can get just as “cookie cutter” in the newer areas as JoCo, if not worse, but the area is not as crowded or as expensive as places like Johnson County and is one of the closest nice suburbs to downtown.

Platte County is more upscale and white collar than Liberty and has more shopping and dining options and the topography is more interesting with the river valleys and lakes, but will be generally be more expensive than Liberty/Shoal Creek.

Lee’s Summit has some very cookie cutter areas, but much of the city is built around lakes, there are tons of lakes (both residential and recreational) and large county parks in Lee’s Summit and they probably have the most active and vibrant suburban city downtown in the metro.

Johnson County is pretty large and diverse, but is generally more of a “big city” suburb with the big ten lane freeways, huge office parks, high end shopping and not a lot of open space. But they have some areas that are less cookie cutter inside the 435 beltway.

Johnson County, Lee's Summit, Liberty and Platte County are all great suburban areas with great schools, but they offer different lifestyles.

Last edited by kcmo; 12-29-2011 at 08:23 PM..

Old 12-30-2011, 06:44 PM

I noticed you live in DC. How long did you live in the KCMO area/where? Did you have children in schools? It's funny that you mention the topography of the area...I am a bit worried about the area in that respect. Coming from the northeast we love our rolling hills/greenspace and lakes. I am going to do a search on Platte county now...thx again.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:58 PM

65 posts, read 85,198 times
Johnson County has several very large parks, and a great arboretum. I would hardly classify the area as lacking in "green space". The road system is the best in the metro because they actually planned for growth, too.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:27 PM

It just seems like every inch of that area has been planned out...it's looks like a grid. Certainly not what we have out here. Just trying to figure out what area is the best fit for my family.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:32 PM

20,170 posts, read 34,488,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinix1999 View Post
Johnson County has several very large parks, and a great arboretum. I would hardly classify the area as lacking in "green space". The road system is the best in the metro because they actually planned for growth, too.
Yes, they "planned" for growth in terms of roads, but very little of the land in the county is conservation, parks, or green space in relation to the population size.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:56 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,146,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elibry View Post
I noticed you live in DC. How long did you live in the KCMO area/where? Did you have children in schools? It's funny that you mention the topography of the area...I am a bit worried about the area in that respect. Coming from the northeast we love our rolling hills/greenspace and lakes. I am going to do a search on Platte county now...thx again.
I wouldn't worry too much about that. Missouri and Eastern Kansas are every bit as wooded, rolling and hilly as NJ.

JoCo is definately the flattest part of the metro, but if you look at a topo map, you'd have a lot of trouble distinguishing KC from anything in Jersey.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:11 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
Quote:

Over 30 years lol. Grew up in urban kcmo, pretty much all over urban kcmo, moved to the far east side in high school, moved away to St Louis, came back and settled in southern Platte County for a year, bought a home in Waldo, had kids moved to the border of Lee’s Summit and Blue Springs, moved out here three years ago.

We are actually quickly falling in love with this area. The topography, all the things to do etc. The biggest thing we miss about KC is family and friends, but KC is a fine city with lots to do and some great areas to live.

Most of suburban KC is very flat as development in KC takes the path of least resistance and there is just so much room to sprawl into flat and treeless areas rather than go into more hilly areas like what you might see in south county St Louis.

It’s not that different from Maryland or something out there. There is just not quite as many trees and the hills are not quite as intense or wide spread. But you can find “parts” of KC that look pretty much like the topography of DC.

Some of the most beautiful parts of metro KC are just completely unlivable or not developed. Northwestern Wyandotte County (KCK) is a really neat area when it comes to topography, but there is not much development there.

But there are some gorgeous areas that are developed. Both sides of I-29 between downtown and 152 offer large pockets of heavily wooded, rolling hills that are actually developed or developing. Areas around Parkville/Riss Lake, the Tom Watson Parkway corridor, Weatherby Lake and Lake Waukomis and the Line Creek corridor down into the Old Briarcliff area. They are widening 64th (tom Watson pkway) now, but that area west of 29 is really hilly and neat. This is why I recommended Platte County or extreme southern Clay County (where Briarcliff is) because most of the area around Liberty is exactly what you said you didn’t want. It’s flat, treeless and just ugly sprawl, but it’s cheap to develop and so it’s growing very fast.

Parkville Area

Parkville Area

Line Creek

Briarcliff

Another area of the metro that is really nice and not just tract housing on flat treeless farmland is northern and western Lee’s Summit along the I-470 corridor. That corridor is very hilly an wooded and is surrounded by large parks and lakes. Flemming Park is really cool to live by. We lived near there for eight years. There is always festivals and stuff going on and the lake are very busy recreational lakes. Just driving around the area makes you feel like you are hundreds of miles from KC. Lakewood is very upscale and so is the area that is rapidly developing east of 470 between Lakewood and Blue Springs Lake. But new subdivisions are going up in forested areas and they are only taking trees for the lots, not the entire subdivisions. It's a nice area. Lee’s Summit also has Raintree Lake and Lake Winnebago, very nice suburban areas in the far southern part of the city. Parts of Blue Springs and southeast Indepedence are also very hilly and wooded.

Northern Lees Summit

Northern Lees Summit

Western Lees Summit

Southern Johnson County is absolutely hideous in my opinion, but western JoCo has some really nice topography as well and they also have Shawnee Mission Park. While most of the developed portions of JoCo doesn’t have a lot of open space, western JoCo has a valley greenway west of 435 with a nice large park and some nice recreational assets such as long paved bike trails, mountain biking trails and a popular recreational lake. This area can be very affluent as well though, such as the Falcon Valley area and like Lakewood and Parkville, the really nicely developed areas that have nice topography will generally be pretty pricy, if not totally absurd, depending on your price range.

Western Shawnee

Western Shawnee

Western Lenexa

There is not a lot out there yet, but someday this area will probably take off, it also has great topography.

western kck

All of these areas have top rated schools. The only areas I'm not sure about is western KCK, but I can't imagine the schools out there not being pretty good since it's a decent suburban area as far as I know.

What I’m saying is that there is quite a few nice areas to choose from, but most of KC suburbs are built out in the flatter areas where it’s cheaper to build. But you can find some really neat areas of KC if that’s what you want, you must might have to pay a bit more to live there.

Last edited by kcmo; 12-30-2011 at 08:56 PM..

Old 12-30-2011, 09:34 PM

48,897 posts, read 39,392,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yes, they "planned" for growth in terms of roads, but very little of the land in the county is conservation, parks, or green space in relation to the population size.
Source? I mean, just pull up a google earth map for crying out loud. sigh.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:38 PM

48,897 posts, read 39,392,211 times
Quote:
It just seems like every inch of that area has been planned out...it's looks like a grid. Certainly not what we have out here. Just trying to figure out what area is the best fit for my family.
You might want to look at ALL of Johnson county and not just stuff south of 119th street?

Heck, JOCO goes all the way out to encompass farmland and is an enormous county so I'm thinking you haven't seen it all.

All the best with your relocation, there are many nice places in the metro but given a choice between JOCO and Liberty.....I would strongly suggest JOCO.

Missouri: Nation's Meth Capital, Again - St. Louis News - Daily RFT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or