Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 10:06 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times

Advertisements

I posted this a while back in another forum and never actually posted it here. I think it could come in handy for those looking at urban KCMO for housing options to get an idea of what KC looks like from a high density urban residential standpoint.

Feel free to add more photos to the thread, there are also many new projects since this was done. The next time I'm in KC, I'm going to try to catch up on some new stuff and get some of the neighborhoods and districts I mised here (much of Midtown, Northeast etc).

Quote:
I tried to put together a photo thread of nothing but urban multi-family housing in KC. This is mostly multi-family. There are many single family areas in KCMO's urban core as well and this is by no means a comprehensive list of multifamily, but still a good cross section.

These are photos of the River Market, Quality Hill, Westside, Old Northeast, Midtown, Union Hill, Westport, South Plaza, Hyde Park, Crossroads, Brookside and more. I'll try to label some of them.

Although KC is not building a lot of massive condo towers, I think the city is building as many urban units as just about any comparable city out there. KCMO was loaded with massive warehouse districts and empty office towers that have gone residential. I don't show many of downtown's residential towers in these photos, but I do show many of the warehouses that have gone residential. In think these, mixed with new infill construction, have given KCMO one of the most interesting and charming urban housing situations in the country. KCMO has many districts spread out over a large urban core. Even I am surprised by how urban KC's urban core really is at times.

Enjoy.

Last edited by kcmo; 04-22-2011 at 10:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 10:21 PM

766 posts, read 1,394,827 times
How utterly depressing. All my life I've lived in a small house with a small yard. I've always had a little piece of grass to call my own. My dogs have a place to romp and I can play in the dirt with my flowers.

I realize that type of lifestyle is suitable to many, but I just can't imagine myself living that way.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:08 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,049 times
You need to capture more pictures of the apartments on Armour Blvd, its such beautiful architecture.
I still think those condos along brush creek on the south side of the plaza are beautiful, they remind me of something facing South Side of Central Park in NYC

Old 04-23-2011, 06:40 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,805,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
How utterly depressing. All my life I've lived in a small house with a small yard. I've always had a little piece of grass to call my own. My dogs have a place to romp and I can play in the dirt with my flowers.

I realize that type of lifestyle is suitable to many, but I just can't imagine myself living that way.
Different strokes. I've owned a condo in KC city for over 15 years... can't imagine having to own a house (even in city), and would rather cut my head off if I had to live in depressing suburbia.

Is great to live on a pedestrian scale, walk to things to do, not depend on a car, etc. Many older people who have moved into my condo from burbs regret not doing it sooner in their lives.. is a great lifestyle.

Point of the thread is KC has a lot of great housing stock in the city for those who like that lifestyle (including single family homes not shown). No need to knock that. KC has that option for those who seek it. Would you rather KC have single family homes only?

Last edited by xenokc; 04-23-2011 at 07:01 AM..

Old 04-23-2011, 06:44 AM

KC can have whatever it wants. I'll stick to my rural boonhick cornfield country village. Population less than 1,000.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:51 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,805,985 times
OK, just odd you posted here.. do you post in every other city thread that urban living isn't for you?

Old 04-23-2011, 06:56 AM

Sorry......

Old 04-23-2011, 07:18 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:

You do realize that there are LOADS of small houses with small yards (and larger houses with larger yards within urban KC, too, right? The photographer here focused on multi-unit dwellings, but KC has tons of single-family homes with yards for both purchase and rent. The lots are actually surprisingly large here, compared to similar urban areas I've been in.

I'm sure somebody already responded to this, but this post is as far as I got in the thread, and wanted to clear up any misunderstanding that there's no housing of the type that the poster describes in the city. On the contrary, there's plenty, and not just in the suburbs. Lots of neighborhoods in KC are full of places with yards for kids and pets to play and gardens to be planted, etc. Do a search of real estate listings, it will become clear. If one isn't interested in urban living, that's one thing, but it's simply not true that apartments and condos are the only options for living in this particular city.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:52 AM

495 posts, read 778,284 times
Nice pics kcmo...although KC's infill isn't nearly as dramatic as Denver is experiencing right now, I think we'll be seeing a pretty big pick up in the next few years. The demand for urban living is at an all time high and right now KC is running out of older buildings to renovate so more new construction will be happening soon. I have several friends who are architects and they see KC as really booming in the next few years.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:16 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Sorry......
Nothing for you to be sorry for. My reaction was the same as yours and so would be the reaction of most Americans viewing those photos with the thought of actually having to live that way. Your reaction was perfectly normal.

The real head-scratcher is how would anyone view those photos and have anything but a negative reaction. You, me, and most others look, pause to reflect for a moment, and then within 5 seconds are counting our blessings because we have the good fortune of much better options.

Increasingly there is very little tolerance here in the KC forum for viewpoints such as yours and mine, so the reaction by the remaining regulars to your post was as predictable as the sunrise. But I'm very glad you chimed in.

Personally, though, I've had enough and don't intend to post here again until/unless some balance returns.

To be clear and fair, kcmo, those are nice quality pics....as is typical of your postings. But they are pics of poor quality housing conditions - and that is why they are depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City